Cat Barber's Profile Continues to Grow

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Cat Barber's Profile Continues to Grow

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

Nice! Cat Barber gets a front page article on CBS Sports this morning.
    “For the ‘unguardable’ Cat Barber, life is moving as fast as he does”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25483888/for-the-unguardable-cat-barber-life-is-moving-as-fast-as-he-does

Very nice, well-deserved story. I also noticed he is finally starting to get some recognition on mock draft boards. One now has Cat as a 1st round pick. I know these mock draft sites are useless, but it is still good to see his name out there.

Edit: Can a moderator edit my title? I hate that I made a typo in Cat’s name.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I dont know jack squat about the NBA but help me understand how Cat is not a lock for a top 10 pick. He is literally unguardable on the collegiate level.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I assume it’s his size.

tractor57
    Participant

Yep BJD – just like Steph Curry. Sad the scouts get locked into “measurables” and not what is the “eye test”. If Cat is predicted to be a top pick there is not doubt he should test the waters. If he remains a second round or later might be wise to add another year of seasoning.

Not arguing against your point but we have seen this bias for decades. If nothing else think Spud Webb.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

He deserves more praise and recognition than he will receive just because he’s on a team that’s not a threat to win the conference. He is so fun to watch.

Were I an NBA scout, the only negatives I see regarding Barber’s draft stock are his size and style of play. By that I mean he has a slight frame and he plays a game that initiates or invites contact. The bodies at the next level are taller and heavier and his body will take a beating. All that being said, I don’t see how he’s not a top 20 pick especially if scouts take note of how much his 3p shot and FT% has improved.

I recently heard one of the radio talking heads discuss about how San Antonio has completely changed the way they use their personnel and play the game. For instance their players don’t dunk. That paired with the way they limit their star players’ minutes in back-to-backs help their guys stay fresh later in the year.

redisgood
    Participant

It’s a natural tendency to look at Cat’s offense, but hopefully the NBA guys are also watching his defense. I know he’ll be going up against bigger guards every night, but I’ve seen him do that here. I haven’t seen one guy he couldn’t guard this year. And that’s while playing 40 minutes, handling the ball all game, and carrying the load offensively. What he’s doing is just incredible.

BJD95
    Keymaster

If he comes back, he ain’t gonna get any bigger. Just a year older.

FergusWolf
    Participant

tractor….I’m not sure Steph Curry is a good example, considering that he was drafted #7, I’m pretty sure no one was worried about his size.

My biggest fear for Cat is that he falls down alot (and I mean alot). I’m not sure if it’s just his “style”, or if that’s the level of abandon he plays with. If it’s the latter, then I fear that he is going to be injury prone in the NBA.

pakfanistan
    Participant

tractor….I’m not sure Steph Curry is a good example, considering that he was drafted #7, I’m pretty sure no one was worried about his size.

My biggest fear for Cat is that he falls down alot (and I mean alot). I’m not sure if it’s just his “style”, or if that’s the level of abandon he plays with. If it’s the latter, then I fear that he is going to be injury prone in the NBA.

If this year has proven anything it’s that Cat is nigh indestructible.

tractor57
    Participant

Granted Steph is a special case but Cat has improved on what would be his major weakness – 3 pt shooting. That alone shows he is putting forth the effort to improve. He is tough but at the end of last season my thinking was the lack of a consistent 3 pt shot was his biggest problem moving to the league. That seems to be much improved. Is he ready? Not sure I know but I darned sure would accept the guaranteed money if he is one of the top draftees. If not I would think one more year in college to burnish his image and to do some more work makes sense. Guaranteed money is guaranteed money. I am impressed with how Cat has improved his game and also how he now makes the players around him better.

redisgood
    Participant

As good as Cat is, he’s going to have his hands full going up against Malcom Brogdon. 20 points would be a huge accomplishment. Hopefully some of the other guys can pick up the scoring slack.

pakfanistan
    Participant

As good as Cat is, he’s going to have his hands full going up against Malcom Brogdon. 20 points would be a huge accomplishment. Hopefully some of the other guys can pick up the scoring slack.

HMMMMM……I’m tempted to put $10 on the over.

WallyB
    Participant

I assume it’s his size.

I watched most of a documentary yesterday on some channel about Allen Iverson. Great stuff if you get a chance to watch it. I was always a fan of AI. He has a rough story, but he was an awesome player to watch. They showed a lot of footage of the beatings he took in the league. I don’t expect Cat to be as good as AI, but I see similarities in size, speed and playing style. Not to mention the Tidewater, VA connection.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Yep BJD – just like Steph Curry. Sad the scouts get locked into “measurables” and not what is the “eye test”. If Cat is predicted to be a top pick there is not doubt he should test the waters. If he remains a second round or later might be wise to add another year of seasoning.

Not arguing against your point but we have seen this bias for decades. If nothing else think Spud Webb.

Its a moot point because someone will gamble on him in the first but another year at NCSU isnt going to do jack for him. He isnt getting bigger and his team this year was the perfect storm to showcase his ability.

I just wonder who the other mystery ma(e)n we are losing will be?

pakfanistan
    Participant

I hope it’s no one and you cry yourself to sleep at night.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

History says there will be at least one. We can speculate. Too many 3’s next year. Mav or the Martins leaving? Anya just totally quitting the game would be something I can see. His heart is clearly not in it.

redisgood
    Participant

HMMMMM……I’m tempted to put $10 on the over.

I hope you’re right. I think its on the main ESPN station, so that would put another POY notch in Cat’s belt.

Tau837
    Participant

History says there will be at least one. We can speculate. Too many 3’s next year. Mav or the Martins leaving? Anya just totally quitting the game would be something I can see. His heart is clearly not in it.

Please take your constant negativity to another thread. This is a thread about Cat, not early departures.

Tau837
    Participant

IMO Cat will be a first round pick, and he should and will go pro. I expect his profile will rise in the pre-draft workouts to lock him into the first.

As for height, the average pre-draft height for PGs in 2015 was 6’2.1”. Cat is listed at 6’2″. Height is a non-issue. However, I agree that he is underweight. I assume once in the NBA on their nutrition, diet, and weight training programs, he will bulk up at least a bit. I don’t think any of this will be viewed as an issue serious enough to hurt his draft stock.

tractor57
    Participant

“Its a moot point because someone will gamble on him in the first but another year at NCSU isnt going to do jack for him. He isnt getting bigger and his team this year was the perfect storm to showcase his ability. ”

I’m not so sure it is a moot point. He has developed much since a year ago. I would not expect as much change from now to a year from now but until he knows where he would land in the draft it is not moot. After that it might be or might not be.

choppack1
    Participant

Cat’s improvement of his 3 point shooting and foul shooting shows dedication and that he’s improving his weaknesses.

About the only weakness he has now and IMHO, the only thing that will keep him from being a pick in the top half of first round is his overall point guard skills. His d has regressed a bit since his arrival in Raleigh but I think most scouts will understand why that’s the case and won’t hold it against him.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.