Calling Dr. Heimlich

Home Forums All StateFansNation Calling Dr. Heimlich

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pakfanistan wrote:</div>
    If somebody can tell me where this data is coming from, I might be able to whip something up to compare coaches. No promises though.

I’d like to know this, myself.

You guys are going to see just how crazy I was in getting this information.

Go to Stat Sheet for NC State basketball, then the boxscore for each game, look at the game flow to find the points of the game. If you want to check the times for better accuracy go to play-by-play to verify the times. Then you just go game by game, season by season.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Wow … truly, hats off to you.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I very much appreciate all the work that goes into this. Amazing that we are giving up all of these leads. We really are the epitome of Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde.

Heelh8r
    Participant

My take from this info is that we have been a mid-tier team, capable of beating anyone and capable of losing to anyone also. Therefore, it is natural that we would lose more leads than the teams above us. And the teams below us are less likely to ever get as many big leads. The difference in the elite teams is that they are able to more often win the close games and close the gaps when they get behind. That is a HUGE next step and it is not easy to get there. Only one team gets to win each game and for us to start closing the deal on the leaders, it means they have to start losing those games. Those guys are ranked and have won a lot of games for a reason, and we are trying to take that spot away from them. We have moved from near the bottom 4-5 years ago to mid-high in the conference, but to get into that top 1-5 is a lot harder to do.

We face the same dilemma in football. I am as excited as anyone about our improvement, but to get leads on FSU and Clemson and then be able to hold onto those leads is another HUGE step. Can we do that? We can only hope.

pakfanistan
    Participant

ys are going to see just how crazy I was in getting this information.

Go to Stat Sheet for NC State basketball, then the boxscore for each game, look at the game flow to find the points of the game. If you want to check the times for better accuracy go to play-by-play to verify the times. Then you just go game by game, season by season.

Ugh. I was afraid that was the answer. I still might be able to do something.

Tau837
    Participant

When State gets a 10+ point lead, 38% of the time the game is later narrowed to a one-possession game and 24% of the time State loses.
    When State falls into a 10+ point hole, 43% of the time the game is later narrowed to a one-possession game and 26% of the time State wins.

Right?

So my takeaway is that we are not any better or worse at holding big leads than our opponents. There are more total comebacks against State than vice versa, of course, because (fortunately) we’re up big more than we’re down big.

Thanks for putting this together.

Really good teams win more close games than they lose, hold onto a lead once they have it, come back from a cold shooting streak, etc.

Note that State does not meet this definition of “really good”.

I also feel, that any game, we can win – no matter who we play. And I NEVER felt that way with Sendek or Sidney.

I agree with all of these posts. I know many don’t feel like the program has made progress or is in a good place, but I remain stubbornly optimistic.

coach13
    Participant

Seems like a big part of the blowing leads is the lack of our adjustment to the other team’s adjustment. Someone said we go away from what got us the lead to start with…but alot of the time it’s what the other team is doing and how they adjust counter us. It just takes us a long time when that happens to find a plan B and often we find it too late or not at all.

WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Nice work, I know from experience the time it takes to go through the numbers for an entry like this.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.