Caleb Martin undergoes surgery

Home Forums All StateFansNation Caleb Martin undergoes surgery

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Let’s keep this summertime news of basketball going… Brett Friedlander of the Wilmington Star News is reporting that Incoming Wolfpack freshman Cale
    [See the full post at: Caleb Martin undergoes surgery]

Adventuroo
    Participant

Hope he progresses and heals well….what is it about FOOT injuries and NCSU?

choppack1
    Participant

I read that this is his 3rd foot surgery. Hopefully it will go well.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^ Wow, I didn’t even know he had 3 feet.

nav
    Participant

^Well, if I can have 3 legs, suppose he can have 3 feet.

StateRed44
    Participant

This injury happened prior to him landing here, and all this time I’ve heard these poor young men receive zero for playing basketball in college.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Maybe they should form a union and demand their rights or something like that.

nav
    Participant

Can someone enlighten me on how medical expenses work in college for an athlete? Do all scholarship players, all sports receive free medical care?

pakfanistan
    Participant

It’s really only our twisted notion of amateurism that stops players from being paid.

Nobody wants to see amateurs play sports.

StateRed44
    Participant

It’s really only our twisted notion of amateurism that stops players from being paid.

Nobody wants to see amateurs play sports.

I do. Believe you are on the wrong side of this issue as well. 0/2!

pakfanistan
    Participant

I assume you seek out church rec leagues to attend, and often request to have them broadcast on TV?

There’s a vast difference between what the average person would consider an amateur, and a D1 athlete.

StateRed44
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>StateRed44 wrote:</div>

I assume you seek out church rec leagues to attend, and often request to have them broadcast on TV?

There’s a vast difference between what the average person would consider an amateur, and a D1 athlete.

No, I prefer High School and college sports.

pakfanistan
    Participant

No, I prefer High School and college sports.

Heck, there’s a huge difference between high school and college athletes.

There are 351 D1 basketball programs with 13(?) scholarship players each.

That’s about 4600 scholarship athletes.

There are about 18,000 high school basketball teams. If you assume 13 players per team, that’s about 230,000 basketball players, I’ve seen estimates as high as 500,000.

So, worst case, a college athlete (in basketball) is in the top 2% of high school basketball players. That’s the creme dela creme. Those guys (and girls) aren’t amateurs.

StateRed44
    Participant

Well, aren’t they claiming they need money? Wouldn’t a professional just get a better job?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Well, aren’t they claiming they need money? Wouldn’t a professional just get a better job?

My understanding is the NBA CBA precludes this. In this country, kids aren’t even eligible for the draft until one year removed from college.

The NCAA and other companies are making a ton of money off of these athletes, way more than the value of a college education. The NCAA brings in nearly a billion dollars a year. For a ‘non-profit’ that’s ridiculous. I can’t see any reason not to spread some of that money out to the people who are at the core of the business. Otherwise, you just wind up with stuff like what’s happening at UNC. Because whether we like to admit it or not, what they’ve done isn’t unusual. The offensive part is their high and mighty attitude that they’re somehow cleaner and better than other programs when really, they’re the same.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I can’t see any reason not to spread some of that money out to the people who are at the core of the business. Otherwise, you just wind up with stuff like what’s happening at UNC.

Your if-then isn’t realistic. No matter how much colleges “pay” each athlete, the top athletes are always going to be worth more. So even if the athletes were being paid significant amounts of money, there would always be agents looking to secure potential first-round draft picks as clients.

As for not seeing any reason to pay..that just means that you haven’t looked at the available info on athletic dept finances (beyond ND, Texas, etc). Football and men’s basketball make money. Everyone else is red ink (with women’s basketball being the worst offender). So the bottom line will always come down to which sports are you going to eliminate (while staying Title IX compliant) to fund your athlete’s payroll?

pakfanistan
    Participant

I was looking at it more from the perspective of allowing athletes to profit from the use of their likeness. I didn’t express that very well.

FergusWolf
    Participant

wouldn’t it be more appropriate to use…

“I want my five dollars!” – Abraham Lincoln

That’s funnier now, isn’t it?

HeyImTwisted
    Participant

Saw this on some ESPN comments about Calebs foot. Made me chuckle.ESPN

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.