Breaking: Matt Canada interviews for Tennesse OC?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Breaking: Matt Canada interviews for Tennesse OC?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

SFN is hearing the rumors of Tennessee’s interest in NC State Offensive Coordinator, Matt Canada, from too many well placed sources to just blow it off.
    [See the full post at: Breaking: Matt Canada interviews for Tennesse OC?]

Radman
    Participant

Money talks. We’ll see if State wants to keep moving forward in football.

tractor57
    Participant

It should be no surprise that other teams will make runs at various assistants who have built a decent reputation. If Canada does go I wish him well unless his team plays the Pack. The real key will how coach D handles replacing staff when turnover happens.

packbackr04
    Participant

… guh

PapaJohn
    Participant

Good luck Coach, hope you follow in Marc Trestman’s footsteps. OC at State, launching pad to an NFL head coaching job!
    And of course Pete’s (former Wolfpack DC) coaching Seattle in a little game on Sunday.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Noel Mazzone (UCLA)

Snort!!!!

choppack1
    Participant

That isn’t a very impressive list. Of those candidates, clearly Canada has the most upside. However, his offenses have been very inconsistent this far.

I think he has a great imagination. He’s done a great job implementing a wide variety of formations and teaching them.

I think we’ll miss him. But if I am a Tennessee fan I see his inconsistency and I also see red flags…especially when my squad will go up against Clemson-esque talent on a somewhat regular basis.

Greywolf
    Participant

Matt Canada was the OC for an offense that won 8 games without one single all conference player. Perhaps Butch Jones sees something we of SFN don’t see. Instead of inconsistent Jones may see extraordinary results with the talent he is amassing at Tennessee.

I don’t worry so much about Canada possibly leaving as I do his taking Coach U and/or Coach Kitchings with him. I’m reasonably sure that Coach D has a short list of OCs who would love to come to NC State for the money Canada would be leaving. And there are several promotion possibilities.

Greywolf
    Participant

Then again maybe he’ll get a 3 year extension and possibly a little raise. 😉

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Noel Mazzone (UCLA)

Snort!!!!

Haha yep

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

Smells like he wants a raise and he should get it. For NC State standards the iron is hot

PackofMac
    Participant

According to ESPN sources are saying Canada is staying in Raleigh.

choppack1
    Participant

That’s good news. Glad he is staying.

Mike
    Participant

Glad he is staying as I think we have a big upside. However, every single one of us would listen if a recruiter comes calling. Have nothing to lose and might end up in a better spot. I am very happy in my job and profession but I listen when a recruiter comes calling. I listen, decide the new chance is not even close to what I have, and I politely say thanks but no thanks. But always listen at least for a minute.

Pack is back in Atl
    Participant

Sounds like Dr Yow bellied up to the bar contract wise. This will be good for recruiting and internal credibility among the high school coach and parent crowd.

Good academics Check
    Stable program Check
    Quality coaching Check

Sign the LOI son Check

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Yeah, glad he’s staying. Some continuity will be good, hopefully.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^^ And if you have none of those things, you just skip straight to the check.

Codebrown
    Participant

I mean, other than the 1st half against CFU and FSU (which is debatable how good they are on def), did we really run a good offense on a good defensive team?

Greywolf
    Participant

I mean, other than the 1st half against CFU and FSU (which is debatable how good they are on def), did we really run a good offense on a good defensive team?

I read various comments of this ilk regularly on this and other boards. Canada coordinated an offense that did not have one single All Conference player on it. I doubt that Butch Jones was only considering Canada’s work here at NC State. Canada has a body of work to be considered — Indiana, Wisconsin, No. Illinois as well as NC State.

After Biliema left and Canada was free to run his offense, Wisconsin hung 70 points on Nebraska in the BIG CC game. Only a fool would judge the ability of a coordinator’s work with a mediocre talented team. Folks a team that did not win a conference game the previous year and went 3-9 over all is talent wise a mediocre team.

How did Canada do as a coordinator? His RB and their coach did very well and got better as the season progressed. The OL was effective and progressed. When injuries occurred second teamers stepped up and got the job done. TEs, HBs and FBs did a good job. Of the 3 TEs that played regularly only one caught a pass all year. The other two were blocking for the big yards that we were picking up at the end of the year. Our freshman HB had a sick yards per carry and caught the ball quite well.

Our WRs were not so good. Hines was very good but the others? They dropped a lot of balls. DAVE Doeren was credited with our WR coach leaving. In good coaching structure that move was probably shared with Canada. Canada is our QB coach and he coached Brissett out of a bad mid-season slump.

So don’t give me this “did we really run a good offense on a good defensive team?” Canada developed a fairly good offense out of a rather mediocre bunch of lackluster performers.

Anybody not excited about 2015? I can hardly wait. I have no idea who will be the tackles in our rebuilt OL, but I have confidence that we will be just fine. Let’s see what your new DC has got Carowhiner.

Codebrown
    Participant

I agree that we improved as an offense towards the end of the season. And I never said that he wasn’t a good coach. Now, I have doubts about him as an OC calling plays and running the offense in-game. Good defenses simply adjusted during the game and were able to stop us routinely.

Don’t get me wrong, I like to have continuity. I’d prefer Canada to stay another year. But i’m just pointing out that if he did leave for UT, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Also, how you judge an OC or any other coaches IS by how they win without talent. Winning with a lot of talented players doesn’t take skills or good coaching. Just ask Les Miles.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Great news.

Losing Canada would’ve been a blow, a big blow. Much bigger than it appears most realize. For multiple reasons.

ryebread
    Participant

It’s good news. Yes, that’s probably shocking knowing where I was mid season with the prediction that coordinator changes would happen if we didn’t turn things around. We did, and the staff is seeming staying mostly in tact, riding recruiting and offseason momentum into next year.

I do think we’d hedged our bets a bit with the WR coach hire. Had Canada left, I wouldn’t have been surprised at all to see him come in. Hopefully Canada helps bring him along.

I thought the inside track on that one was a MAC guy from one of Butch Jones’ previous stops.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.