Billy Donovan: NBA age limit should be lowered, not raised

Home Forums All StateFansNation Billy Donovan: NBA age limit should be lowered, not raised

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Not sure I agree (not sure I disagree either though), but it is an interesting (and reasonable, IMHO) argument.

Florida Gators coach Billy Donovan said this week that not only does he think the NBA age limit shouldn’t be raised, he believes it should be erased. His reasoning? Colleges are assuming the risks of players who are under pressure from NBA agents and hangers-on, compromising the program and he’d rather have players who aren’t forced to, but choose to play college basketball.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24487380/billy-donovan-wants-the-nba-age-limit-lowered-not-raised

WTNY
    Participant

The solution is further down in the article:

I will now take this opportunity to promote for the 500th time my preferred course of action: two-or-none instead of one-and-done. If you want to jump straight to the NBA, it works for a player like Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker, who are ready right out of college. For players who need the development, give them two years to learn the fundamentals.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would be ok with the “baseball” rule. Otherwise…get f-cked, Billy Donovan.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

he’d rather have players who aren’t forced to, but choose to play college basketball.

But his proposed solution doesn’t provide his desired goal. Even before the NBA age rule, there were kids that went to college not because they wanted to, but because they couldn’t get into the NBA.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ True dat

BJD95
    Keymaster

High-major college hoops is a minor league system for professional basketball, and I am totally fine with that. I just want college programs to have more planning certainty in how long guys stay.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Agreed…

First… The “Baseball Rule” makes so much sense … it’s ridiculous that it has not been adopted…

Second… The Rule that doesn’t let a player back into college after he declares for the draft (and comes up well short of his expectations ) needs trashing…

———-

Out of high school… either you go pro or you go to school and make some grades and play some ball for three years..

If the first case doesn’t work out… there’s Europe and the D-leaque..

In the second case… if a player wants to test the waters after his third year in college and does not like the “temperature”… then can THEN choose to play his fourth year…

After the fourth year is finished… he can do whatever…

To keep coaches from overloading the bench… Some revisions in the transfer rules are needed, but that needs to be done carefully and with the players’s long term best interests at heart.

Finally, everybody needs $100 a week “walking around money” from August to May,

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Mike
    Participant

Sorry Bill, everybody can already have $100 a week spending money. It is called a Pell Grant – not a loan, but free money to those in need. Most of the D-I scholly athletes qualify and this is actually in most cases more than $100 a week.

I have two kids in college – they wished they had $100 a week in pocket money but they dont. I make too much money to qualify but trust me when I say I dont have an extra $100 a week for both of them.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Mike … “everybody” includes “me & you”…

I got four kids.. two out of college… one in and one in HS…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Mike
    Participant

My girls would love to have it Bill. If I misunderstood your point, my bad. I also know when I was in school, I did not have extra money in my pocket either for a pizza. I worked all summer and saved my money for the year, but there were some lean times.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.