Big Jelly Theory

Home Forums StateFans Football Big Jelly Theory

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

I have a theory on how to make scoring a TD in the redzone easier. Now I am not a football guy but this makes sens to me and I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone could poke a hole in my theory.
    A team has a player such as “Big Jelly” from FSU a few years ago. Have a guy on the roster guy who is about 6’9″ to 6’10” and weighs around 280lbs and a former basketball player. Once the team gets within ten or so yards of the end zone they bring him in. He rumbles the ten yard, turn around and “posts up” like he would in baskebtall. The QB lofts a ball to him. No CB is going to be able to get the ball. I would think he would have to be double teamed and once that happens it would open a bunch of other things.
    Thoughts?

StateFans
    Keymaster

I guess the primary risks here are that the guy:

(1) is too big/slow to get to his spot fast enough

(2) can’t catch very well

(3) can’t get off the line of scrimmage and gets knocked down

Doesn’t seem to be too big of a set of risks to give it a try

Rick
    Keymaster

Which is why I suggest a basketball player. He has good hands and has to be able to run up and down the court.

TheCOWDOG

Morris Stroud 6-10
    Harold Carmichael 6-9
    Pete Metzlars 6-8
    Leonard Pope 6-9

Mighty short list of big boys with cajones enough to take football hits.

First thing I’d do is bring in my nickel or dime package.
    With a linebacker or DE if this guy is just a spealty item.

TheCOWDOG

Dang.Where’s that confounded edit button?
    Specialty…specialty receiver.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Dang.Whereโ€™s that confounded edit button?

On my screen it is to the left of the “TRASH” button. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, directly above your (blank) icon thingy, I see the date/time of your post. Moving to the right on that line, there is a series of options, including EDIT. I’ve seen other people talk about getting the EDIT button back…so I thought it was there for everyone.

Greywolf
    Participant

Don’t worry. Defensive Coordinators will find ways and damn quickly too. Hakim Jones, our starting Free Safety, reportedly has a 40+/- vertical leap. Lob it towards the Big Jelly and watch the INT. That’s one way of doing it.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

So what you are saying is that Bee Jay needs to get fitted for pads and a helmet?

BJD95
    Keymaster

Oh damn, I would love to see KH on the football field. With that freakish reach and his love of contact…

Hell, put that guy on the defensive line!!

Rick
    Keymaster

There are afair number ofguards with 40 inch verticals that cannot out rebound a big man so I do not buy that a D can get the ball from them.

As for the hits, I may be wrong, bt I thought a player could not be tackled in the end zone, hence the 10 yards and in.

And yeah KH seems to fit this mold absolutely perfectly. It is basically like posting up in baskeball, but it is worth 6 points.

Once teams start asjusting their defense to this player it seems to me that would open up all kinds of other plays. Put in him on one side and they have to double team him leaving the other more open. It just seems like it would makes scoring in the red one easier.

compsciwolf
    Participant

Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but this is basically what FSU did to score the winning touchdown in the championship game. Send a large receiver into the end zone and throw the ball high where only he can get it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/fsu-game-winning-touchdown-vs-113356276.html

lush
    Participant

Who is KH?

lush
    Participant

Ahhhh bee jays nickname.

TheCOWDOG

Maybe I misunderstood. It is done all the time. With real, every down ,legitimate receivers of height. It’s called a Fade. It is an excellent play.

No, that Bigga Boy can get smacked around inside 5 yards (no head slaps) and most certainly can get blown up in the endzone. It ain’t a catch til Lurch comes down with control.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Is this like when they sent Mario Williams out for a TD pass when close to the end zone that one time? A play full of sound and fury producing nothing. Although I don’t think Mario could be considered “jelly” by any stretch of the imagination.

PackFamily
    Participant

KH = Karl Hess?

I know CDD doesn’t have the history but I don’t think DY is gonna go for that.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

KH=King Hippo aka BeeJay Anya

StateFans
    Keymaster

Could you imagine Chuck Nevitt doing this?

TheCOWDOG

^
    I did. ๐Ÿ™‚

It did not have a happy ending.

RINGwolf
    Participant

Julius peppers was brought on for this type thing with the panthers several times. Don’t remember if it was just 2pt conversions or what. He was sometimes decoy and sometimes the ball came his way. Think it worked some but not as much as it seemed like it could. He definitely drew some attention from the D though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.