Big Four S16 streak snapped

Home Forums All StateFansNation Big Four S16 streak snapped

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

The Big Four fails to send team to Sweet 16 for first time since Black Sunday happened in 1979! Wow. Good news is that Virginia advanced to keep the A
    [See the full post at: Big Four S16 streak snapped]

Wulfpack
    Participant

Pretty incredible when you think about it. If UVA can get by Sparty, watch out. They are playing better than anyone out there right now.

ACC sends just one team to the Sweet 16. PAC 12, Big 10 and SEC send three teams.

tractor57
    Participant

People rail about the decline of college basketball and yes there are some large issues there (maybe not so much decline but large changes) but in the end I have found no other sport that attracts me as much – warts and all. Many here are not old enough to remember carrying a transistor radio to school expressly to listen to the ACC tourney games on the ride home. The explosion of the NCAAT can be traced to 1983 and the miracle run of the Pack. Prior to then the NCAAT was nice and all but never had as much passion. The following year Villanova made a somewhat similar run to the top. This year maybe we will see another improbable run.

Hawkeye Whitney
    Participant

Ed Hardin, in Sunday’s Greensboro News & Record wrote a column arguing that the other three big four fan-bases should be rooting for the Holes to continue the streak. Y’know Ed, not really. I think it is funny to see Roy cry.

I am also glad that Pitt and Cuse have gone home.

Go Flyers!

tractor57
    Participant

crying huckleberry – now that is funny I don’t care who you are

JohnGalt78
    Participant

UVA is very impressive. Obviously well coached. Smart, athletic players, I actually find them fun to watch. I wish them well.

KY can go pound sand. I despise everything about that program now. They had my respect in the old days, like any perennial power. They are an NBA incubator “business” producing widgets.

Why didn’t Duke win? They had Parker, didn’t they? I mean they could have phoned in that Mercer win. Oh wait…

TN making our RPI soar! Oh wait….

UNCheat made my day Sunday…the one sporting highlight! Even with their own clock operator they couldn’t “steal” a win. They finish their season with 3 losses in 4 games. Coach Williams, your thoughts:
    “I feel horrible for myself right now. This is really hard on me. I hurt so bad. Ya’ll don’t realize how bad it feels to put so much into creating this smoke and mirrors thing that we have here at the Flagship and then still losing. I mean that sh!t is embarrassing. I told those people, what do you call them….professors….administrators, whatever…I told em what I needed here to make this thing really hum and they went and f’d it all up by getting caught. Now look at what I got to work with here. We’re gonna have to sit down in the offseason and come up with something else. Maybe Calipari is on to something”

Wulfpack
    Participant

I hate Kentucky as well. They represent everything that is wrong about college basketball. Hope Lville pounds them, and then Cal will skip the presser.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Coach Williams, your thoughts:
    “I feel horrible for myself right now. This is really hard on me. I hurt so bad. Ya’ll don’t realize how bad it feels to put so much into creating this smoke and mirrors thing that we have here at the Flagship and then still losing. I mean that sh!t is embarrassing. I told those people, what do you call them….professors….administrators, whatever…I told em what I needed here to make this thing really hum and they went and f’d it all up by getting caught. Now look at what I got to work with here. We’re gonna have to sit down in the offseason and come up with something else. Maybe Calipari is on to something”

^Not bad … slow clap.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Tractor57…

… while I remember some kids with “transistor” radios…

… at my elementary and junior high schools over in the Sock Capital of the World…

… some teachers brought Big Radios and others brought Black & White TVs with “rabbit ears” on that one Thursday in March!

…PartyTime!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Calipari is one hell of a coach, and he did a bangup job yesterday. I hope he takes it all. He’s no dirtier than the Holes (probably less so), and he takes all the shite like he’s the cause of problems, rather than just playing by the rules of the game that the Blues have set (and catch no shit for).

state73
    Participant

I think Roy and K are going to find that it will be harder and harder for them to end up at the top of ACC year after year. The 1 or 2 seeding in the NCAA will also be a thing of the past. Several hungry and outstanding young coaches in the ACC will make it more difficult for K, Roy, and JB.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Duke has Scout’s #1 recruiting class with 4 Top-50 players
    UNC is #3 with 3 Top-50 players

Neither team will struggle for long as long as Roy/K is coaching.

tkewolf1975
    Participant

Dan Kane has been driving nails in the flagship coffin for several years so when reading the box score of the *NC-ISU game it was serendipitous that the game winner was delivered by non other than D. Kane of ISU.

Another observation is quite a few teams last week seemingly had games under control only to lose what appeared to be safe leads in the closing minutes. If TEAM defense and free throws were featured more on highlight reels, maybe kids would spend as much time honing those skills as they do perfecting their dunk shot.

NCSU needs the equivalent of a football defensive coordinator on the basketball staff who does nothing but teach defense and recruit. Slam dunks may make the highlight reel but effective defense often wins games and reduces the pressure on the offensive end.

And nobody leaves practice until the team drains 10 free throws in a row. Each player takes one turn in the 10-free throw rotation. As the number of successful free throws in a row increases, the next man up has increasing pressure not to let the team down…simulating game pressure situations. Miss and you let the team down and start over.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

This insistence of the PTB at promoting the Duke-Cheat rivalry as the end-all-be-all has diluted the product to the point that we are where we are today. Not only have they cheated other conference schools out of a chance to be successful, their officiating “tendencies” have left the blue boys soft come NCAA tourney time.

It’s not really surprising that neither team made it far this year if you look at their teams. The Cheats are a one man show in Paige. McAdoodoo is hot garbage, I mean, has there ever been a player that was a three time All-ACC selection that did less on the court with more talent? And Duke died by the three like they have so many times in the past. There is no denying that Parker is a great player, but he is not a carry the team type guy. Hell for my money Hood was better all year, yet Parker is a finalist for the Naismith. ACC propaganda at its finest.

ILPackfan
    Participant

@tkewolf1975

“And nobody leaves practice until the team drains 10 free throws in a row.”

I really like that suggestion. Add in pushups and/or laps for every time in practice somebody loses their man or cheats over to allow an uncontested jumper.

Hawkeye Whitney
    Participant

Without having any specific knowledge of how the Pack’s practices are run, I am quite sure that a lot of time is spent on free throw shooting over the course of a season.

I think the little bit of extra fatigue due to the Tuesday night game in Dayton made the difference against St. Louis. If our guys had been a little bit fresher, then that game is a win.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Or, we could have tried to stand between them and the basket…

Wulfpack
    Participant

Highest NCAA ratings since 1990. Somebody is still watching…

tkewolf1975
    Participant

Without having any specific knowledge of how the Pack’s practices are run, I am quite sure that a lot of time is spent on free throw shooting over the course of a season.

Practice free throws three times during practice – at the beginning when legs are fresh, somewhere in the middle and at the end when players should be sucking wind.

13OT
    Participant

John Calipari may be a great coach, no disagreement there, but I think, as do a LOT of people, that he’s a scumbag. It’ll be a cold day in hell before I’d ever pull for a Calipari team, especially Kentucky.

As far as the Louisville-Kentucky game, it’s too bad they both can’t lose.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

Regarding free throws- I make three footers on the practice green with my eyes closed all day long. On the course, not so much. The only sure fire way to practice free throws in game conditions, is to take free throws in game conditions. Muscle memory and technique are important, but mental toughness is more important. Just something the kids have to learn.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.