Bida Manda & Second Empire named top 100 restaurants in USA

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Bida Manda & Second Empire named top 100 restaurants in USA

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Pretty awesome recognition for the good folks at Bida Manda this early in their existence. Definitely two of my favorite spots. Good for them.

Link

redisgood
    Participant

Definitely two of my favorites as well. Also enjoy a couple of Ashley Christensen’s places – Poole’s Diner, and Joule’s which has moved up my list recently. (I downloaded the recipe for Poole’s Mac & Cheese, and I have to say I nailed it!)

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

These things always baffle me. Glad Raleigh is getting some recognition, but it’s not exactly a food mecca, and its sister cities of Durham and Chapel Hill usually have us outgunned in the food world. I’m not sure I’d even rank Second Empire in the top 10 in the Triangle. I like it, just don’t love it, and have eaten there many a time. Now Bida Mada is pretty authentic, and that lofty ranking may just be spot on. Never tried the Copper Door in Hayesville. St. Jacques is top notch even thought it’s in a strip mall. Fearrington House, Heron’s, meh, meh.

TheCOWDOG

Tanqueray martinis in the cellar at the Empire.

Hard to beat.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Whiteshoes — To your pint…this particular list is actually somewhat obscure and doesn’t really come with a ton of fanfare or national/industry clout & legitimacy. But, it is nice discussion fodder and perspective, regardless.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^I wouldn’t have pegged Cowdog for a martini drinker. What do I know! Must’ve been tracking tail in the lounge

Greywolf
    Participant

Tanqueray martinis in the cellar at the Empire.

Alright. Who is this and what have you done with Mr. DOG?

And what about Watkins Grill on what used to be Old Wake Forest Road? That’s the kinda place “hands in the dirt’ NC State folks eat at. Breakfast is off the charts.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Grey, after I’d been in Raleigh a few months, I asked a black friend of mine who’s a Raleigh native if he could recommend any basic meat and three type joints. I asked him about Watkins. He laughed at me. The Confederate flag memorabilia scares some folks away..Speaking of meat and 3’s, anybody know any Raleigh joints that serve up some good down home food? And you youngsters, don’t go telling me the Pit.

PackFamily
    Participant

WhiteShoes, have you tried Big Ed’s in City Market? Big Ed sold out a few years ago but it is still pretty much the same.

Greywolf
    Participant

Griffin’s up in Youngsville sounds like what you are looking for. I used to eat at Griffin’s when they had one in Raleigh. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

I see one or 2 tables of black folks every time I go in Watkins. It’s a real family business. Mothers, daughters, sisters, etc., work there and run the place. For some of us plain folks like Mr. DOG before he starting drinking martinis at the Empire, the homey atmosphere is as enjoyable as the food. One day me and a friend ordered lemon meringue pie for desert. It was almost closing time, 2:00 PM, and what’s her name brought us one piece of pie and told us one of us would have to have something else. Well, we kidded a bit about her being out of pie and she snatched it up off the table and cut it half with a fork she had brought, slid half on a clean spot on my plate and handed the other half to my friend. You can’t get that kind of service at the Empire Room.

Don’t be afraid to try Watkins. Just don’t go too often as it’s crowded enough as it is.

Greywolf
    Participant

There’s a place called Relish on Creedmore at Millbrook that serves good food even if it’s not a meat and 3 kind of place. Big servings. 5 or 6 varieties of macaroni and cheese. The Fish and Chips has lots of home cut fries and 2 big pieces of fish. Lots of other stuff. It’s worth a try; you want be disappointed. Get there before 6:30 and you won’t have to wait for a table.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.