[Bball] A Defensive Breakdown: What Are We Doing Wrong?

Home Forums All StateFansNation [Bball] A Defensive Breakdown: What Are We Doing Wrong?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    JackWolf
    Keymaster

This is a repost from this forum post. User Xphoenix87 did such a fantastic job that it had to be re-posted here. The N.C. State Wolfpack have defensi
    [See the full post at: [Bball] A Defensive Breakdown: What Are We Doing Wrong?]

brqan925
    Participant

Thanks for posting this. We really need more basketball content.

I enjoyed reading this and look forward to the rest of your series. I’m wondering if Terry Henderson outscores his defensive mistakes or not.

SeaWolf72
    Participant

Great post and explanation of defensive weakness. there’s no doubt that Gott’s teams don’t excel at defense and he ‘probably’ knows this..He talks of having an open door. Why not take this thru his open door and point out the obvious. Heck you might even get a job out of it…Maybe he really doesn’t get it. Showing him ‘his’ weakness might be the only thing that helps him correct it…..just sayin’

PapaJohn
    Participant

This is the most interesting thing I have read on any Wolfpack blog in a long time. Great job. And thanks for the time you put into it.
    I can only conclude that at the end of the day, as the captain of the ship, Gott must not be putting in the practice time on defense. We just added another couple of coaches who have been around, with Early, Lutz, and Shroyer we have former head coaches. These guys HAVE TO KNOW THIS STUFF. This isn’t top secret stuff that only a few coaches know. They are either not able to teach it to the players, or aren’t putting enough time into it. And not only that, Yow is a basketball coach and she knows what good defense is as well.
    I like Gott, and appreciate the fact that the program is in better shape than in a long while, but PLAY SOME FREAKING DEFENSE!!

choppack1
    Participant

I’m wondering if Terry Henderson outscores his defensive mistakes or not.

At this point I don’t think it’s fair to blame players – even partly. Since his arrival, I have seen Gott’s premier players play mediocre defense, with no repercussions.

These all seem like decent enough, coachable kids. It is a coaching problem.

13OT
    Participant

Like the Les, HWSNBN and Lowe teams, this Wolfpack team will go only as far as its talent will take it.

State teams are interested primarily in one thing- dunking the basketball.

This time might finish at .500 in the ACC.

But wait ’til next year!

charger17
    Participant

I’m in SEC country and my father-in-law told me the day we hired Gott: “Well, he’s a good coach. But you won’t make free throws and you won’t play defense.” We’ve talked about that two dozen times in the last five years.

JeremyH
    Participant

.He talks of having an open door. Why not take this thru his open door and point out the obvious. Heck you might even get a job out of it…Maybe he really doesn’t get it. Showing him ‘his’ weakness might be the only thing that helps him correct it…..just sayin’

I really like this idea, discretely and/or through proxy. I dunno though, there’s no much other stuff beyond the basic message here.

Seems like Lutz’s departure + a new mix of players / underclassmen + playing four guards 50% of the time out of necessity has made for a perfect storm? I hope that he will pivot and the defense will get better.

StateRed44
    Participant

We wouldn’t have to play so much defense if we could grab a dang rebound.

ryebread
    Participant

Teams that play good defense typically have players in good positions to rebounds. The ones that often hurt them are the long rebounds, but those come typically on long, lower percentage shots. Personally, I’ll give up that rebound.

It’s the one 3 feet from the basket, and that one likely comes because we don’t have bodies in the right position. The rebounding is the symptom, not the cause.

The original post is spot on. I’m looking forward to the other videos. The issues are with system and approach. They can’t be blamed on the players because they are there year in and year out.

Yeah, I know, the coaches tell the players and they don’t do it. If they don’t do as told, yank them out.

I was really hoping that the hiring of Schroyer would fix this. So far that’s not been the case. Here’s to hoping we rapidly improve on defense as the year progresses. If not, we’ll underachieve yet again.

JasonP
    Participant

A full week to prepare for Tennessee State. I’ll start to worry if we don’t win this one by a sizable margin.

pakfanistan
    Participant

xphoenix87, if you could somehow work in the play from BU where Anya is standing in the middle of the lane with no one within 5 feet of him and watches the shot go up and then meanders away from the basket making no attempt to grab the rebound, that would be great.

I cried until I laughed and then I cried some more.

I think he was looking for someone to box out and then blue screened, but he never turned to face the basket.

Ah, I found it.

PapaJohn
    Participant

JasonP – It’s exam week, not as much available practice time as regular weeks. Hope you are right and we deliver a thrashing, but if not, that will be the excuse.

JasonP
    Participant

PapaJ – so we’ve got one ready, an excuse that is. Good. But I still think we should be able to beat a team like Tenn St with 4 on the floor.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Anya is standing in the middle of the lane with no one within 5 feet of him and watches the shot go up and then meanders away from the basket

You forgot the icing on the cake, the foul at the end.

pakfanistan
    Participant

You forgot the icing on the cake, the foul at the end.

Yeah, I had forgotten that part. At least he got yanked immediately afterward I guess.

TMD11
    Participant

Defense is difficult for young college players…and this team is younger than most.
    So Gottfried has Got to focus hard on teaching it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.