Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 220 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

Those solid Wake teams of the 90s and 2000 had a ton of NC talent. There was a lot of good NC talent on V’s teams post-83… Washburn, Shack, Chucky, Howard, Hinnant…For Herb’s tourney teams you had Cliff Crawford, Marcus Melvin, Scooter Sherrill, Cam Bennerman, Ilian Evtimov’s, Cedric Simmons. Gott’s tourney teams has CJ Leslie, CJ Williams, TJ Warren, Tyler Lewis

ryebread
    Participant

Chop: Exactly. When Wake was good, they had a lot of in state kids. Lowe recruited well in NC, Virginia and Georgia. There was enough talent in year one that Gott looked like a genius.

Put the full court press on in our region and we’ll do very well. We’ll also keep some other potential thorns in the side down. Clemson has made a living coming into NC and taking guys NC State has passed on and VCU took a couple from us as well.

saigonwolf
    Participant

I was just on the ESPN site, checking random stuff. Thought I’d check the RPIs of the final four teams just out of curiousity. While checking that, I also saw that UNCW was 27. Given the school and caliber of players they had this past season, there’s only one reason I can think of that they could achieve a 27 RPI….

pakfanistan
    Participant

They won a bunch of games?

wolfmanmat
    Participant

I get the point. Duke/unc recruit well everywhere including in state because they have the brand. There is enough talent in NC that we should recruit well in NC. We have had plenty of good NC recruits during the lowe and Gott years, just need to coach them better. Warren purvis Lewis Leslie Dennis all talented and got basically nothing out of them except TJ.

marinewolf
    Participant

playing golf this weekend at a Pack event-hopefully can get some inside info-it is all speculation at this point!

Rick
    Keymaster

Recruiting at NCSU has never been a problem. The past three coaches have all recruited well. I am not concerned about recruiting. What I am concerned about is building a program with an identity as well as development and continuity of players. Look at SC for example. They play some of the best defense I have ever seen. Not the grabbing and clutching defense of UVA but hard nosed, in your face help defense. They all move like a team. That is their identity. And his players stay for four years. If you play defense like that and can develop offense in players you can work towards special seasons. So I really don’t care that Keatts has high school contacts or “knows the area”. What I want to see is if he can coach.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Like Rick says, if you became a Top 25 by talent alone, then Sid and Gott would have done it with ease. Recruiting has never, ever been a problem here…which is again, why I scratch my head at DY/WM being dazzled by a recruiter-type instead of a proven tactician/motivator.

Even with all the self-imposed restrictions, LES didn’t recruit THAT poorly. And some of the biggest misses (Jason Sasser, cough cough) were self-inflicted wounds.

Both the amount AND length of the contract were extremely ill-advised. And nobody is looking to hire him away from us, that is pure bay at the moon lunacy.

ryebread
    Participant

I agree that recruiting hasn’t been a problem here. It’s part of why I don’t buy the “tough neighborhood” argument. There are enough good ones in NC for UNC and Duke to maybe get 3 between then, and the Adidas pipeline funnels some our way that UNC/Duke don’t get. This is exactly the reason why I’m not one who wants to switch over to Nike. If we’re with Nike, then we’re always 3rd fiddle in the area. If we’re with Adidas, we’re way more valuable to them. We should be able to recruit in the top 20 every year.

I don’t quite know what to think of Keatts as a tactician. I guess we’ll see. When I’ve watched them, I was personally more impressed than what I saw out of Wade and VCU. Archie and Marshall are better tacticians, but they weren’t coming. Shrugs.

Gowolves
    Participant

Like Rick says, if you became a Top 25 by talent alone, then Sid and Gott would have done it with ease. Recruiting has never, ever been a problem here…which is again, why I scratch my head at DY/WM being dazzled by a recruiter-type instead of a proven tactician/motivator.

When Keatts was at Hargrove he practically had a new team every year from what I read. I get it that we are talking Hargrove but to motivate new players every year and have a winning percentage of 90% plus then somehow he is getting these kids to buy in.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I’m curious to see how far Pitino’s mentorship will go now that he and Keatts are coaching against each other.

Rick
    Keymaster

When Keatts was at Hargrove he practically had a new team every year from what I read. I get it that we are talking Hargrove but to motivate new players every year and have a winning percentage of 90% plus then somehow he is getting these kids to buy in.

I am not sure I buy this but we shall see.

tvp1
    Participant

And nobody is looking to hire him away from us, that is pure bay at the moon lunacy.

After we hired Keatts, I read reactions from a bunch of Louisville fans online. Their comments, to a man/woman, were some variant of this: “Great hire. Not looking forward to facing him. He’s on our short list of Pitino replacements for 5-6 years down the line.”

Again, we’ll see. He has to win here. But I don’t buy the notion that no one else has been or will be interested in Keatts.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

^
    Very Good then, I remain in the space that I hope he does the necessary things to remain on Loovul’s shortlist, and not stats that move him to their bloated we’re desperate cause coaching hires are very scary list or god forbid from a list all together.

Greywolf
    Participant

So Keatts did all the above and won 2 national championships, what does that prove? Exactly nothing.

We’ve tried the High School coach hire before. Look how that turned out. Who cares how Case did coaching high school. He only won 1 national championship here. Why we named an athletic center after him? Your guess is as good as mine.

Rick
    Keymaster

So Keatts did all the above and won 2 national championships, what does that prove? Exactly nothing.

It proves he can win at that level. Winning at that level does not guarantee a translation to this level. It certainly gives us some hope but you cannot apply the transitive property to this situation.

Greywolf
    Participant

It proves he can win at that level. Winning at that level does not guarantee a translation to this level. It certainly gives us some hope but you cannot apply the transitive property to this situation.

Winning at what level guarantees a tranlation high level of performance in the ACC? Does maintaining the level of wins in the A-10 conference guarnntee winning in the ACC? It didn’t for Oliver Purnell. At least Purnell built up a run-down program. Miller raised the bar hardly at all. So why Archie Miller? Sure Miller maintained Dayton at a reasonably high level but nothing spectacular.

Is maintaining the level of play in the Gottried era what we want? Maintenance Is what Miller has proved. IMNSOHO we need someone who has proved he can raise the bar. Keatts has done that although it is true enough the AAC is not the greatest level of play — a step below the A-10.

Perhaps winning national championships at the HS level isn’t all that great but he did do it by developing his players. He achieved what he achieved at UNC-W doing the same thing. Some say his defense wasn’t very good and some say his offense did not look good. I say good for him. He took what he had to work with and won where he was. He wasn’t asking his players to do what they couldn’t do.

I didn’t mean to “talk” you to death with this post. For that I apologize. 😉

Rick, I know you wish him well and so do I. Let’s hope our mid-major football coach performs up to expectations this year. See ya then.

rthomas44
    Participant

GreyW, WTF . Case didn’t win a natchamp, but went to a final 4. If you don’t understand why Case is revired then you need to read a little history.

TheCOWDOG

GreyW, WTF . Case didn’t win a natchamp, but went to a final 4. If you don’t understand why Case is revired then you need to read a little history.

I don’t wanna be in your shoes, right now. ‘Cause it will be headed your way. Rightly so, I might add.

Greywolf
    Participant

Yeah, it was Sloan, not Case. Senior moment, brain fart. I’m surprised Rick didn’t catch that.

I found a book of tickets for the first Dixie Classics in my Stocking at Christmas when I was 13 or 14. Later I sold cokes in Reynolds in the 50s during HS and waited on tables in the old College Inn Restaurant and the Inn while going to State.

One day at lunch Case was meeting with the the big hitters of the day and I had the good fortune of being assigned to their room. I was 6-5 at the time (less now) and one of the guys said to me, “Son, you’re nice and tall. How come you aren’t on our basketball team?” Maybe you guys wouldn’t but I felt humiliated. What do you say, I ain’t good enough? Coach Case spoke right up, “He’ll be out with us this fall.” I’ll never forget that act of kindness.

I was in the Greensboro Coliseum when State came back in OT from 7 down to beat UCLA in the semis. I remember very little about the game but do remember the head ache I had after the game. In the finals Marquette seemed like a walk in the park.

You might oughtta consider cutting old guys a little slack — brain farts and senior moments, ya know. 😉

Greywolf
    Participant

I don’t wanna be in your shoes, right now. ‘Cause it will be headed your way. Rightly so, I might add.

Nah, me and Rick are trying to be a little more sociable on here. Besides, it was a clean bust, just showed who he was the way he went about it.

Gowolves
    Participant

I am not sure I buy this but we shall see.

My point I was trying to make is that Keatts isn’t just a recruiting magician as it was stated above. He was able to get 6 to 8 guys EVERY year to learn the system and play the way he wanted them to play. Win at a high level. Again every year it was a different squad. You and others make valid point that past success doesn’t guarantee future success. All I am saying is Keatts has a lot going for him. This is not a bad hire in my opinion.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Nah bro, it’s two fold.

1A) You can’t win games with talent and no coaching
    1B) Keatts wins with overwhelming recruits and rolling the ball out.

rthomas44
    Participant

I came to State in the fall of’68. I saw the trophy’s in glass cases from the Southern Conference and I remember seeing on TV Case retire and being given a new car. No brain farts here. My shoes fit just fine.

ryebread
    Participant

Grey: I’m all for supporting Keatts, but there is no need to slight Archie. He had a great run at Dayton and did about everything that one could reasonably expect. His teams improved every year. He took one to the Elite 8 and it was 30+ years since they’d done that. His 4 straight NCAA tournaments had never been done at Dayton (granted the tournament is bigger now). He won the A10 the last two years. He punched up at a clip better than almost any mid-major coach in the same period (outside of Few). He inherited a shaky program from Gregory. He had Dayton selling out and raised the value of its basketball brand significantly. What more do you really expect?

I get that all of that doesn’t guarantee success here or at IU. I think he’s a good coach, that IU made a great hire (better than Alford), and I’ll be pulling for him when he is not coaching against or recruiting against NC State.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 220 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.