Andre the Giant

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports Andre the Giant

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ruffles31
    Keymaster

Long, good read on Andre the Giant. The article goes in depth about his disease, his popularity, his desire for normalcy, and his ranch in Ellerbe, North Carolina.

Good article written around the time for Wrestlemania.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Really interesting, and at times tragic, sweetheart of a guy was Andre.

Dude could do some drinking.

PackFamily
    Participant

His ashes are spread in NC as well.

I was a huge wrestling fan growing up. It bothered me as a kid when he went bad for a while. I know it was all shtick but as a kid (who still knew it was staged), i had trouble with it.

Wrestling had the amazing effect of making an irrational maniac out of the most sane person. My wife is still embarrassed of her grandfather, the most intelligent man around (trained in the Navy in communications; sold the first tv in his hometown electronics shop, etc.), who would become crazed watching WWF. He thought it was real.

Homer Simpson newspaper cover headline “Local Man Thinks Wrestling Is Real”

MrPlywood
    Participant

Andre trivia – his face was the source for the ubiquitous “OBEY” poster graphic…

Rick
    Keymaster

Nice read
    He was an amazingly interesting man. I always wonder why anyone would refuse medical treatment.

highstick
    Participant

I can never understand why he wanted to live anywhere near Ellerbe! Don’t know where my buddy went cause I haven’t seen him in 50 years or more, but he was a 4 star athlete at Ellerbe HS…But they only had a 6 or 7 man team. We never played them because of that, but I loved trouncing them on the baseball field! He and I were in the same cabin at summer camp between 8th and 9th grade and yep, it was like some of the stupid movies keeping 13 and 14 year old guys and gals separated!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.