And The Bubble Bursts…(Major 3/18 Update)

Home Forums All StateFansNation And The Bubble Bursts…(Major 3/18 Update)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

It’s been confirmed (through unofficial channels, but confirmed) that it was SMU who got bumped for us, specifically.

If SMU had gotten in, the selection committee would owe Seth Greenberg an apology. I honestly believe that any team with an OOC schedule that weak will have to do something special to get in.

It happens too often for it to be anything other than a punitive decision. As I mentioned, it’s happened to VT, Penn St, and Arizona State just in the last few years.

In 2009, Penn State had six Top-50 wins and two of those were Top-25 wins. OOC SOS ranked #304 and 1-1 in the conference tourney landed them in the NIT. Discussed here:

http://www.statefansnation.com/2009/03/selection-sunday-bubble-thoughts/

Rick
    Keymaster

I don’t buy the TJ Warren argument at all. That makes absolutely no sense and has absolutely no supporting evidence (ie equivalent past examples).

You and your numbers are too robotic. Have you no heart? Have you no soul?
    😉

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Swiiiinnngggg and a miss:

Judging from the reaction of NC State players to hearing their name called during the selection show, they were as surprised as anyone to make the field, and they should have been. Little about their profile suggested they were worthy of beating out an SMU team ranked in the Top 25 as recently as Monday or a Green Bay team that dominated its league and beat Virginia in non-league play but stumbled in the Horizon semifinals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/three-things-the-selection-committee-got-right-and-three-it-got-wrong-021348203.html

Super-shallow analysis on bogus criteria. Absolutely no one cares about the AP Top 25 and dominating the Horizon hardly qualifies for serious consideration.

JeremyH
    Participant

Cut that Yahoo! editor some slack, he blogs for Yahoo!, ergo he has two other jobs and did this article really quick. And of course they were surprised, it was a “photo finish”.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Cut that Yahoo! editor some slack

You should know that I don’t suffer fools gladly. Everyone here has a real job and less time to write than he does.

I don’t argue with his take on NC State. It’s the ridiculous teams that he wants to replace them with that earns my contempt.

PackFamily
    Participant

The analysis is interesting and enjoyable, but i am just thrilled to finally have our team on the right side of the discussion. So much of our energy as State fans is focused about why things didn’t go our way (not a criticism; just saying we’ve had some bad breaks and tough losses).

JeremyH
    Participant

Lunardi is predicting a loss to Xavier. I think he wants us out…

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

That would let him justify his selections over the Committee’s.

TheCOWDOG

Come tourney time, I turn to similar handicapping tools that I use in horseracing.

Trainers (Gottfried) and Jockeys ( Warren ), figure prominently in the big race types.

Linardi doesn’t ‘cap ponies to my knowledge.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^Is that your way of saying you also wish the Mustangs had made it in?

TheCOWDOG

Mustangs don’t belong on the track, Roosky.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

If SMU had gotten in, the selection committee would owe Seth Greenberg an apology.

^Indeed.

Go to any website and there are comments ripping the committee for picking State ahead of SMU. If you want to pick out State’s flaws and make a case against them that’s fine, but almost no one makes a coherent case for SMU other than “but theys wuz ranked!!!111′.

It is pretty easy to see why SMU was excluded even if you only follow trends and not so much numbers. “Bad schedule + bad (or any) early loss in conference tourney + any other bad losses = exclusion”.

People need things to b*tch about though, so there’s that 🙂

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

nope…

perhaps…what Mr. Dog is suggesting is the some where in the Committee’s analysis is a

“EPI” rankings…

that’s the “Eyeballs Power Index”…
    a composite number that ranks each team by historical data regarding the following factors…

1. Name Recognition of School.
    2. Name Recognition of Coach.
    3. Name Recognition of Key Players.
    4. The Relative Size of the Fanbase.
    5. The EPI of the school’s top three rivals.
    6. The EPI of the school’s conference.
    7. The WOW factor surrounding this season’s team.

The EPI ranks schools by
    1. the SIZE of the potential TV audience, social media traffic, pre-game and post game media hits
    and…
    2. the “built-in” CONTENT available to connect, promote and generate “traffic”, “activity” and “audiences”…

Bottom line here is … The Committee instructions were clear… when everything else is too close to call…
    pick the Team with best “EPI”.

———–

A whole lot of people might be watching our game Tuesday… just to see who’s right and who’s wrong…
    but the bottom line is that either is gold to everybody on the money end of things…
    and that’s what the higher EPI guarantees…

———–

The Legacy of Coach Valvano is that there will always be an NCSTATE “basketball” story to tell/sell…

Compare our EPI to SMU, GB, FSU bball… and who ever else didn’t get in… that answer is pretty clear.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

People need things to b*tch about though, so there’s that

+100

Smarter than the average bear

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I think we all need to take a moment and be thankful for Herb Sendek. If it weren’t for the tireless efforts of Herb and guys like him, the tourney field might never have been expanded and we’d be having a very different conversation. Thanks, buddy.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I do think there was some version of “eye test” since the resumes were so similar. Anyone who saw FSU’s two late-season chances (home vs. Cuse, UVA in ACCT) had to notice how flat they fell. As a contrast, State won at Pitt, beat Cuse at the ACCT, and showed respectably against Duke.

MP
    Participant

Awesome post!

The team that appears to slightly deserve a spot over State is Cal. And if that is the case, it could have simply come down to the PAC already having 6 teams in and the ACC only 5 teams prior to including either State or FSU. Go Wellman!

TheCOWDOG

Yep, both Bill and Beej.

Those other horses that are headed to allowance races, mighta’ looked a bit to washy for the old railbirds.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… it might be worth mentioning.. the Mustangs Story line… was solid…

Old Hall of Fame Coach… one last hurrah….
    resurrects program from oblivion…
    Can he do it again…

But that’s just One factor in the “EPI”…

How many TA&M, or Texas fans gonna watch One SMU basketball game…
    ( compared to how many Dookies and TarHoles will watch most ALL of our games )…

and run their mouths about it for two days before and one whole day afterwards ???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

The team that appears to slightly deserve a spot over State is Cal.

^Perhaps, but Cal really faltered late, losing 4 of their last 5. Losing in their Pac 12 quarters to Colorado appeared to be the coup de grace.

JeremyH
    Participant
    wilmwolf80
    Participant

The fact that SMU was ranked prior to the last week of the season means nil. They shut the bed their last three games. Don’t do that, and they are in, and we are having a discussion about our seeding in the NIT. Their losses dropped them out of at-large status and back into the group of teams vying for the last spot. At that point, all the relevant stats about who they played, etc. come in to play. If they win a few games in their tourney, then their strength of schedule becomes moot. As opposed to falling into that group, we played our way up to it, and obviously projected a more attractive option to the committee members. Had we been left out, I’d be sitting here writing that we should have won more games when it mattered. That’s just how it goes. This is not some unprecedented event like the pundits would have us believe, the committee has made it clear over the years that if you want in, play a decent schedule.

TheCOWDOG

How’s about State played a top 21 schedule and that’s the real deal.

I brought horses into it
    ’cause Lunardi has the X/State game picked wrong.
    That’s all…

He is doubling down out of a loss. Bad play.

JeremyH
    Participant

looks like we just had a presser today too:
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/13487652/

TheCOWDOG

Nice pull Jeremy.
    If one listens, Warren is indeed the jockey to go with.

More subtle was the question related to Dayton/X.

Haven’t brought it up in here, but it’s been talked about ‘tween family and closest friends.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.