ACC Tournament Seeding Scenarios

Home Forums StateFans Basketball ACC Tournament Seeding Scenarios

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Link

Miami holds the head to head tie-breaker on NC State. So they have the inside track on the #6-seed after the win over Pitt Wednesday. All Miami needs is for NC State to lose to Syracuse or the Canes to beat Virginia Tech.

NC State can still be the #6-seed with a win over Syracuse and a Miami loss to Virginia Tech.

For the #7-seed, NC State holds the head to head tie-breaker on Pitt and has the inside track on the #7-seed. Because of NC State’s win over Duke, they would have the tie breaker over Pitt and Clemson, Clemson and NCSU would tie with 2-1 records in the group head to head, but NCSU has the win over Duke and at that point, Clemson’s best win would be against 3-seed Notre Dame. Should it come down to it because Notre Dame is beaten by Clemson and that renders Duke and Notre Dame in a tie for 2nd, the tie breaker would drop to the 4th spot and NC State would still win the tie breaker because of their record against UNC and Louisvlle.

So NCSU is all but locked into the #7-seed.

If State is a #7 seed then we play at 7pm on Wednesday. If we are the 6th seed we’d play at 9:15pm on Wednesady

nav
    Participant

We really need that #6 seed to avoid playing Duke. I would much rather play L’ville…assuming we get past the first game.

StateFans
    Keymaster

As a #6 wouldn’t we play #3? Isn’t that Notre Dame?

StateFans
    Keymaster

nav
    Participant

You’re correct. I meant ND. Still better to play than Duke. Plus, I want some payback.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Would love another crack at the Irish. Definitely should have won that one. Duke is playing lights out now.

StateFans
    Keymaster

The Louisville-Virginia game on Saturday will determine the #4 seed.

Louisville gets the 4 seed with a win and the 5 seed with a loss.

MP
    Participant

If we are the 6th seed we’d play at 9:15pm on Wednesady

Otherwise known as the “9:15 that usually starts at 10:00”. I hate that game.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yea, no way it starts at 9:15. Never does.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The game that if we are in will require either a nap or some trucker speed.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Can’t we have both?

StateFans
    Keymaster

From Wolfpacker:

NC State could be the No. 6 seed or the No. 7 seed in next week’s ACC Tournament (March 10-14) in Greensboro, N.C.

The Wolfpack (9-8 ACC) will be the No. 6 seed with a win over Syracuse at noon Saturday at PNC Arena, and if Miami also falls at Virginia Tech the same day.

NCSU will be the No. 7 seed with a loss to Syracuse or if Miami tops VT.

The No. 6 seed would play the No. 11/14 winner Wednesday at 9 p.m. on ESPN/ACC Network. The No. 7 seed would play the No. 10 seed at 7 p.m. on ESPN/ACC Network.

Five ACC teams enter the weekend with definite seeds. Virginia is the No. 1 seed, followed by Duke and Notre Dame.

Wake Forest is the No. 11 seed and Boston College the No. 12 seed.

The ACC Tournament semifinals have been moved to 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. March 13, and the title game will be at 8:30 p.m. March 14. NC State head coach Mark Gottfried is happy to have the championship game be played Saturday night, rather than Sunday afternoon.

“I really like it a lot,” Gottfried said. “I think it was the right move to make by our commissioner and by the ADs.

“I like the Saturday night championship game. As far as exposure and viewership around the country, I think that is the right move. You also give everybody that’s fortunate to play in the tournament an extra day of rest.”

wufpup76
    Keymaster

A little off-topic here, but I feel really bad for this guy:

Justin Anderson will miss Saturday game against Louisville after undergoing appendectomy

I guess he’ll be back for the NCAA tournament, maybe ACC tournament? I hope so for both his sake and Virginia’s. I still wanna beat their ass but I hate to see this … Bennett has more than earned COY. There was a definite shift in play when Anderson went down. They also suffered that awful Perrantes-Brogdon collision which gave Perrantes a broken nose and a missed game.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Can’t we have both?

In honor of/preparation for tonight’s Archer, a little column A, a little column B?

Heelh8r
    Participant

Miami beat VT by 24 a couple of weeks ago, so it is going to be asking a lot for a VT win Saturday. Miami has been up and down quite a but though, so a VT win is not out of the question. I don’t think any of the bottom teams are as bad as their record makes them look.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Wake is every bit as bad as their record. Maybe more so.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Wake beat Miami

Heelh8r
    Participant

^And also lost to UVa by 1

Wulfpack
    Participant

You are what your record shows. Simple, yes, but true. Losers lose.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Then it wouldn’t be any need to play the games. Sometimes losers win, and sometimes winners lose. And anybody who is a loser is trying to become a winner.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Heelh8er = Gloria from White Men Can’t Jump – “Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.”

Texpack
    Participant

Only about a 6.37% chance at getting the 6 seed. This is where the unbalanced schedule hurts. I’m betting Da U played a weaker conference schedule than we did.

BJD95
    Keymaster

As long as we beat L’Orange, I really don’t care. We need the physical and mental break anyway. Well, I don’t care unless we win it all, in which case we have to beat Duke regardless.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Heelh8er = Gloria from White Men Can’t Jump

Haha now I feel better. A lot of wisdom right there didn’t know I was so smart.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.