ACC Coastal – Hmmm…better? or worse?

Home Forums StateFans Football ACC Coastal – Hmmm…better? or worse?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I think it can be reasonably argued that the Coastal is a more competitive division compared to the Atlantic division. The disparity between the best team and the worst team is much closer than in the Atlantic. The Atlantic is top heavy; three good teams, two average teams and two really bad teams. Is VPI really that bad? Are GT & Duke really that good? Or are all 7 teams just ok?
    I know it’s not a very good metric, but the average RPI of the Coastal division is 48; the Atlantic’s is 54 (WF’s RPI is 128).
    For reference, the average RPI of the SEC west is 17 and the SEC east is 52.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Sagarin Rankings

15.. Florida State
      25.. Clemson
      32.. Louisville
      54.. Boston College
      72.. NC State
      78.. Syracuse
     149.. Wake Forest

28.. Miami-Florida
      30.. Georgia Tech
      36.. Duke
      41.. Virginia Tech
      62.. North Carolina
      63.. Virginia
      67.. Pittsburgh

– Neither division is “good” so I don’t see the point in arguing that one is better
    – A team is more likely to have “sure” wins in the Atlantic
    – A team is more likely to have “sure” losses in the Atlantic
    – As noted above, the Coastal is much more balanced and competitive

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Another way to look at the bottom of both divisions is to see who they beat in conference

State has two wins, ‘Cuse and WF
    ‘Cuse has one win, WF
    WF has no wins

UVA has two wins, ‘Ville and Pitt
    Pitt has two wins, BC and VT
    VT has two wins, UNC and Duke

The top half of the Atlantic got three easy conference wins (BC still has to play ‘Cuse) compared to the more even play in the Coastal.

Greywolf
    Participant

was last night evidence that the Coastal is good or bad?

I’d say that last night’s game was too small a sample to determine whether the Coastal is good or bad. I’m also inclined to let other analyze the numbers as they did above. And I pretty much agree with their conclusions.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Going to be interesting to see what Tech can do against FSU. If they get a lead, can they manage to hold it? Nobody else has.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I’ve said a million times in the past and it continues to be proven true — as big of a power has Miami football was — they are are a small, PRIVATE school that has limited alums, fans and resources. Miami HAS NEVER BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL WHEN THEY WERE NOT CHEATING. EVER. PERIOD.

So, the decision for them is simple — are they going to choose to cheat or not? As along as they (and the ACC) try to have them walk the good path they will never be successful. Meaning, the Coastal is WIDE OPEN for the likes of UNC to emerge. Swofford knows this. Don’t you think there was a reason that Louisville was inexplicably put into the already stacked Atlantic? There was no way he wanted to give UNC more competition to emerge in the Coastal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.