ACC BB Round-Up

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC BB Round-Up

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Guys, I really think we’ve GOTT to win the ACCT to sway the selection committee.

You either missed or have forgotten the Herb years,

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Cat is a mercurial player. I was really pissed at him, but I just feel bad for the kid after the Cuse game; I mean just imagine him walking thru the Free Expression Tunnel or eating dinner at Case and maybe getting a dirty look here and there from a fan. But honestly, I think he and the team will be better for the adversity.

Last year we had guys like Zo and Calvin, who, bless them, didn’t want to be around long enough to develop; they just craved enough short-term national attention to make the jump to the pros. And while I applaud their courage, I don’t know if it was the best move for them (even with this years’ deep draft, but that’s another discussion).

What we have this year is a project. Young, inexperienced guys who are learning thru mistakes and adversity, really experiencing what it means to be a student-athlete. Some real 4-year guys (with the exception of Warren). My hope is that we come out swinging next year with guys like Washington, Anya, Turner and Cat improving their games, getting their weight under control, increasing their bball IQs. In essence, the renaissance we experienced in Gott’s first year.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Meh, didn’t miss the Sendek years; was just too young to be phased by em. But in all seriousness, just win the dagum ACCT and we wouldn’t have to have this discussion 🙂

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Cat seems to want to play ever game like it is an AAU game or the McD AA game. He’s got a lot of physical talent but seems to struggle in the team concept a lot of the time.

Look at all the great point guards, past and present – they all make the right pass at the right time, and when it isn’t there they either pull out and reset or they have their own ability to score. Cat seems to lack that killer pass right now on a consistent basis and his mid-range jumper needs some real work. If he can get his head around that, he’ll be an All-American. If he doesn’t and plays like it is all about him, he’ll end up playing in Europe, because NBA scouts aren’t going to recommend investing millions on the kid.

I think that the bigs are getting better everywhere except the free throw line in most cases. That should be a huge off-season goal for this team, improve at the line. It only take minimal coaching and a lot of repetition to master.

Finally, someone needs to step up and be the leader of this squad. All too often they look like a rudderless boat trying to navigate Grade 4 rapids.

13OT
    Participant

State’s bubble has already burst. To say that State has some chance and Clemson has a slim chance to no chance is illogical. They beat the hell out of us Tuesday night, they have a better overall record than we do, and they have more quality wins than we do. In fact, we don’t HAVE a quality win this season, but we do have a turdbowl full of bad losses.

There are only 2 unanswered questions remaining about the ACC this season. One is the order of finish for the top 5 teams, and the other is whether or not Clemson will be the 6th ACC team to make it to the NCAAT. There certainly won’t be a 7th, nor even a 6th if the Tigers don’t make it.

Right now, VT is one of the worst ACC teams I’ve seen in years, yet I wouldn’t be shocked if they beat us tomorrow. I expect UNC to beat us next week, and I expect us to lose at Pitt. BC and Miami are home games, but that’s not meant much this season.

Even if we close strong and win 2 games in the ACCT (which would come against the worst teams in the league), this season is over unless we’re dumb enough to sign on for the NIT. RPI is irrelevant when you play like crap all season.

vtpackfan
    Participant

I don’t like to attribute much of what has happened on the court to any one or two players. The overall makeup is not all that lacking and the coaching has been for the most part commendable. I look at the ACC landscape and see a year of defensive minded basketball. It’s the year of Bennet ball and even Roy Wiiliams is hanging his hat on stingy defense primarily to win.

An inexperienced Gottfried led squad will always be .500 at best in a conference season like this. There needs to be loose action, end to end play, with teams extending themselves out to score. I just see over 3/4 of the league closing everything in and playing for no tempo games. I even thought the Duke vs UNC game was slow and ugly for the most part.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Alpha.. you GOTT this right…

In Anthony’s — and OTHERS JUST LIKE HIM — defense…. however… I would suggest… they know what they need to do and wants to do those things ( you listed ) consistently well at the highest level.

The problem is that since 7th grade … most of the kids playing bball today… have not ‘had to’, have not learned how, and have not practiced those things until they GOTT it right.

Learning ‘mechanics’ and improving ‘BB-IQ’ is one thing….
    Practice Time should fix that…

Doing it right at Cameron, the Dean Dome or the Carrier Dome… or even the RBC for that matter…. is quite another thing.

And the jury remains out on that question….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

If I had a choice between being seeded between 5th and 8th in this year’s ACCT then I’d pick whichever one get’s me matched up against Syracuse on Friday. Right now I’m predicting #1 UVA, #2 SU which would mean I’d want the Pack to finish in 7th. If they can beat the winner of the 10/15 game then they’d set up nicely for a rematch against a team we could realistically beat and help towards getting an at-large NCAAT bid. That and we need UT to win enough to be top 50.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

against a team we could realistically beat

Are you sure that there will be any of those on Friday in the ACCT?

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Of the top 4 seeds (assuming its UVA, SU, DU, UNC) then yeah I’d say SU is the only one of the four that we could realistically beat. Not saying it will definitely happen, just saying they are the only ones we’ve shown we won’t get blown out by and have a chance at beating.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if State didn’t get blown by SYR because of match-ups or if it was just one of those days.

State has looked so bad so many times, that it’s hard to be optimistic about the remainder of the year. The math and history says that there is still a chance to make the NCAAT. The eye test tells a different story.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’d want the Pack to finish in 7th.

I put the 5-10 seeds in the order that I expected them to finish, but didn’t really pay a lot of attention to where State sits. Since Clemson has the tie-breaker and a one game lead over State, the six seed seems unlikely. Likewise, State has the tiebreaker over both UMD and FSU which should put State in the 7 seed.

Miami now has a 1/2 game lead over ND for the 10th seed. But they have a 3-game road stretch coming up against Virginia, State, and Clemson. It seems unlikely that Miami could catch UMD or FSU to avoid Wed in the ACCT.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The chance of beating UVA or Cuse is significantly better than the less than 1% shot of beating a Blue. And playing somebody on Thursday that’s already played Wednesday is an advantage. So…7th is the sweet spot.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I thought I’d take a look at the various sites to see how we fared from this weekends results and how other bubble teams are doing. It’s pretty dang obvious that we got zero help and playing VT, even on the road, hurt us as will playing BC/Miami. No if’s, and’s, or but’s about it, State MUST win a couple of Top 25ish games to have any chance at the NCAAT. Only 2, maybe 3, opportunities left to earn a spot.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I took a look, too and Dance Card has us as the 14th team out – not even close. Lunardi of course does not have us in. It is looking more and more like the ACC will only get five in. FSU got a bump with its win over Pitt. Pitt is falling, which is not good for us.

Wulfpack
    Participant

And I would probably say only one opportunity left – UNC. Pitt is unranked. And they will torch us, as they always do, so the year is effectively over IMHO. We don’t get in without a win Wednesday.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I took a look, too and Dance Card has us as the 14th team out – not even close.

Losing to Clemson hurt big time. If you noticed, FSU took a big jump up at the Dance Card with their victory over Pitt (now ~3 out). They were over a dozen out before the Pitt game. So a couple of big wins would pay huge dividends for any of the bubble teams.

The announcers on the FSU/Pitt game were horribly wrong about FSU’s chances (as witnessed by the jump on the Dance Card). It’s one thing to say that you don’t think that FSU can win enough big games. It’s another to proclaim that Pitt is in with one questionable Top 50 win while saying that FSU needs 3 or more (in addition to the two they already had) to have a chance.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

In one of the quirks of RPI calcs, State’s OOC SOS dropped about 9 spots over the weekend. This change was obviously not a product of the VT/State game but added to the misery of playing a bad team late in the year.

Wulfpack
    Participant

We are not even listed now on espn’s tourney forecast. Pitt and FSU are the only ACC Bubble teams listed with “work left to do”. So we are clearly not even close as it stands today. That Clemson loss was the dagger.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Captain Obvious here:
    I don’t blame ESPN at all. Why would you discuss a team that hasn’t beaten anyone of note all year long?

I would change the end of your post to “latest dagger”.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Finally, someone needs to step up and be the leader of this squad. All too often they look like a rudderless boat trying to navigate Grade 4 rapids.

^Hopefully Lewis. Even though it was against VT, still had to like what was on display last Saturday (save for the last 8 minutes – this is where Lewis as the pg needs to really steer the ship). Plus, VT’s zone D had been pretty effective going into that game.

As for next season, I have high hopes for both Lewis and Washington as team leaders. If only we had an Alex Johnson and/or CJ Williams every season.

As for that bubble, a win tomorrow night may get us ever so slightly back into the conversation.

tjfoose1
    Participant

As for next season, I have high hopes for both Lewis and Washington as team leaders. If only we had an Alex Johnson and/or CJ Williams every season.

Trevor Lacy? What kind of leadership did he show at Alabama?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Wake beats Clemson tonight, which I would think pretty much ends it for the Tigers. And we lost by 17 to them. That ain’t pretty.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Clemson is 8-7 in the ACC, and if there’s anything I’ve learned over the last two days, .500 in the ACC = GOOD TEAM.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.