ACC Basketball Update

Home Forums StateFans Basketball ACC Basketball Update

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

A quick look at the first night of conference games to start to bring you to speed on how things are shaping up this season along with this snapshot.

ACC Standings

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK…
    take a big job and break it down into a bunch of little jobs…

So we have nine games in January…
    We will be big dogs against *NC, Dook, ‘Hoos and Canes…
    we can win the rest or lose one and surprise one of the above and we’re 5-4 for the month…

Then we have nine games left before the ACC tourney…
    We will be big dogs against *NC, Dook and ‘Hoos…
    we can win the rest or lose one and surprise one of the above and we’re 6-3 for the month…

Add that to the 10-3 nonconference season and we’re 21-10 and dancing BEFORE the ACC tourney with a 11-7 conference record…

All that said…
    the key opponents will be Louisville, Notre Dame and most importantly “Danny and the Deacs” who we play twice…

We do have our work cut out for us and we’ve GOTT to play our best every night and keep improving…

Who knows ?? You buys your ticket and you takes your ride…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Big dog against Louisville and Pitt as well.

We’ve been squeaking by very marginal competition. The difficulty is about to get racheted up significantly. Are we ready?

tractor57
    Participant

For good or bad the pattern of the Gott era is start a bit slow and build. I see some weaknesses with the team but I also see chances for moving forward. Wulf you are right with the question.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Here’s how we start the season:

@VT
    Lville
    @Wake
    FSU
    @UNC
    @Pitt
    Duke

There are easily 4 losses here. Could well be 1-6 or 2-5 starting out, and that may be too much to overcome.

Rick
    Keymaster

Team has struggled but it seems like we are out of it every year and then Gott pulls the team together to make a run at the end. I think the same thing happens this year. The question, is that enough?

Texpack
    Participant

We are playing better defense this year but our lack of scoring options will be our death in ACC play unless somebody suddenly catches fire.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Are we ready?

Hell no… not by a long shot …

But that don’t change a thing…
    Everybody knows what we GOTT to do…

one thing that may work in our favor is that the Feb games are “easier” than the Jan games, especially the last two weeks of the regular season…

redisgood
    Participant

Here’s how we start the season:

There are easily 4 losses here. Could well be 1-6 or 2-5 starting out, and that may be too much to overcome.

Based on what I’ve seen this year, I have to go with 2 wins tops over the 1st seven games. As you say, it could well be 1-6.

phcqmfd
    Participant

5 and 2 with 2 big upset wins

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I’ve always been confident that Gott’s past squads would make the tournament. Not this year. OOC schedule hurt us, and ACC is relatively weak from the middle down this year. I don’t think our RPI can rise enough, and we don’t have enough wins in us during league play. We’re bad. Firm believer his teams have underachieved during the regular season every year given the talent. WE’re not capable of dancing this year. Fanbase will get more and more divided as season wears on. Sorry.

StateRed44
    Participant

I don’t give a rip about Gott. Just win baby. If we miss tourney 2 years in a row, it’s next man up. As long as he makes the occasional sweet 16 you can’t fire him though. I hope for everyone’s sake he advances further than that if he manages to get around year 10.

choppack1
    Participant

We will find out more tomorrow.

In Bill’s scenario we pretty much need to be perfect against the dregs of the conference. I think the board has reached a sad consensus and we don’t need to hash it out.

Fastback68
    Participant

Just watched the last game versus NE. Cat did everything, it was fun to watch. Cat alone should give State a chance to win in 2/3 of our ACC slate.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I still like MG. I think he has the right frame of mind to succeed here. But results matter, and the next two seasons will be crucial for him. Nobody gets a blanket pass.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

In Bill’s scenario

Actually my intentions were to “set the table”, in no ways was I making a “prediction”…

I can just as easily see the numbers reversed …
    that is 7 – 11 NO HA! in the conference….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.