ACC-B1G Challenge / Week / in review

Home Forums StateFans Basketball ACC-B1G Challenge / Week / in review

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

Let’s first start off by recognizing what a wonderful week last week was for Pack revenue sports … Men’s basketball compiled three tough, solid wins and of course there was the glory and splendor that was a Saturday football afternoon full of Hole smashing (pun intended??). Let’s also not forget the Lady Pack – who while not off to quite as hot a start as last season – sit at 5-2 and appear to be in line for another competitive season under second year coach Wes Moore.

Turning our attention to ACC basketball at large, here are a few things that stood out:

Virginia is 7-0 with a couple of nice victories, but Tony Bennett and his Cavs still seem intent at times on taking basketball back to the 1940’s. The latest ‘please gouge my eyes out with a spoon’ Cavalier basketball ‘adventure’ occurred this past Saturday night when Virginia defeated Rutgers – gulp – 45-26 in the Barclays Center Classic. Rutgers scored eight points total in the 2nd half. Eight. Points. Rutgers led the game at halftime … let that just sink right on in. Yeah …

Georgia Tech went 2-1 in the Orlando Classic, but lost their opener to Steve Wojciechowski and Marquette. Wojciechowski is now 1-0 coaching against the ACC. Heh.

Wake Forest‘s Danny Manning has a tall rebuilding order as evidenced by the Demon Deacons giving the ACC it’s latest bad loss – a 72-65 home loss to Delaware St.

The Cheats lost their opener in the ‘Battle 4 Atlantis’ to Butler, but responded with two solid wins over UCLA and Florida, respectively. What should concern fans of cheating and fraud though is the fact that a much smaller Butler team obliterated the Cheats on the glass and thoroughly outworked the Holes all game. It should be interesting to watch the young Cheats throughout the season. It will be even more fun to cheer against them and enjoy all karma-given schadenfreude.

RPI Watch: Not too bad overall for the league, and of course it’s super early. According to cbssports rpi rankings though, here are some things to keep an eye on – Notre Dame is 6-1, yet has an RPI of 181; Teams with RPI’s of 200+ include FSU (200), VT (229), and Clemson (290).

ACC standings and RPI ranks: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/standings/conference/ACC

This week, of course, is highlighted by the ACC-B1G challenge … The Pack is at Purdue on Tuesday evening and hosts new coach Danny Manning and Wake Forest on Saturday evening in the ACC opener.

Here’s some info on the ACC-B1G challenge, including this season’s schedule and tv listings if you scroll down a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC%E2%80%93Big_Ten_Challenge

Enjoy the games everyone and please feel free to add your thoughts and anything you find of interest ACC or nationwide college basketball related.

Go Pack!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Purdue is gonna be a good test. They’re a bit on the young/inexperienced side (lol), but their guards are big and can shoot, and they have not one, but two 7+ footers. Plus it’s at their place.

A win by any means should be appreciated.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

You mean nobody’s hype for Nebraska-FSU or Clemson-Rutgers???

I’ve missed who’s calling the game, but I’ve got the Clemson game on now and I’m pretty sure it’s Brad Daughtery doing the commentary. I always liked him doing commentary before he moved to Nascar coverage. Maybe he’ll do a few basketball games this season.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I missed the announcing announcements as well, but that sure sounds like Daugherty. I always kinda liked him too. Not nearly as intolerable as most of his baby blue brethren.

FSU getting their asses handed to them at home.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Welp, ACC is 0-2 after one night of the ACC-B1G challenge – both of the losses at ACC venues πŸ™

Wufpacker
    Participant

My “conference solidarity” attitude is largely on life support these days. Aside from NCSU, I don’t much even care if the ACC wins another game. Well, aside from UVa, but that has more to do with their assfaced opponent.

I will be actively pulling for Sparty. And Iowa too (but again…that’s mostly due to their assfaced opponent).

Rick
    Keymaster

Daugherty is a great announcer.

Hess seems to hate basketball the way he ruins it.
    Too many fouls called

Rick
    Keymaster

And I despise the way uva plays ‘basketball’.

It is atrocious.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

ACC down 0-2 … like Wufpacker, I don’t really care outside of N.C. State but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Six challenge games this evening, including our Pack at Purdue.

Other games:
    Pittsburgh at Indiana – meh, but a loss by IU would further put Tom Crean in the ground
    Minny at Wake Forest – ha
    Syracuse at Michigan – not bad
    ranked Illinois at ranked Miami – hmmph
    TOSU at Louisville – not bad

Gowolves
    Participant

WP76, you are better person than I. I refuse to acknowledge the “The” in Ohio State University. Drives me crazy when I hear it on broadcast!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

WP76, you are better person than I. I refuse to acknowledge the β€œThe” in Ohio State University. Drives me crazy when I hear it on broadcast!

^Haha, I do it now b/c it makes me laugh to think about people making fun of it … it’s so effing pretentious!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^ tOSU aint the only one…

I might as well let all you NOLES haters in a little secret…

The official name of that school down in Tallytown is…
    “THE Florida State University”

Unlike tOSU.. about the only time you’ll hear that name used is by the Chancellor at formal University occasions, like graduation and such… Nobody ever accused anybody from FSU of being pretentious… that’s the sole property of the GATORHOLES down in sunny FLA…

Now don’t ask me the story as to how that came about…
    But I will tell you .. from 1905 to 1947… the name of the college was …
    “Florida State College for Women”

Somebody commented a couple days ago on the latest “Coach DD is doing great things” thread as to how the history and tradition of a school impact it’s culture long for a long time…

Just as NC State was once a Men’s College…
    FSU was a Women’s College… kinda like UNC-G…

… that NOLES football team plays for a “girl’s school”…

tag = miscellaneous useless trivia…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    LRM
    Keymaster

Ah, nostalgia for the good ol’ days when the ACC-B1G Challenge wasn’t almost half the size of the NCAAT.

Tau837
    Participant

What should concern fans of cheating and fraud

LOL, nice work.

Rick
    Keymaster

Anyone notice if King Karl is reffing now?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Hahaha thank you, Tau.

Speaking with all the vanity I can muster, I was wondering if anyone would highlight that statement … I was very proud of that one πŸ™‚

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Anyone notice if King Karl is reffing now?

Flipping back and forth, but mostly as noise in the background … I haven’t seen him yet – though not really paying attention.

I’d be surprised if he’s on our game.

JasonP
    Participant

Great write up. Very enjoyable read.

Now at 6-2 in favor of the B1G now, which is a little surprising. Wasn’t expecting us to lose, nor FSU. The league needs GT and VT to get some wins on the road to make the B1G’s inevitable victory a tad more respectable. If only the top tier/ranked ACC teams win, bubble hopes for the league could take a hit. Still don’t think Duke will beat a physical Wiscy team on the road unless they play out of their minds. 9-5 or 10-4 looks like where this is going to end up.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Holes-Hawkeyes pretty ugly first half.

Fastback68
    Participant

Suck it holes.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I like that the ACC lost, and that the death blow came in the Nose Dome. Fuck ’em.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Iowa 60 @ Cheats 55.

For Roy’s sake, remember Haiti.

Maryland has scored 4 points in nine minutes against UVa.

Fastback68
    Participant

I turned the sound off. It looked like Meeks fouled out. Should I even wonder about the d bags wearing green.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I only saw the second half, Fastback. Not sure what the green shirts were about.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Was it VPI or ND that won the other game? I quit paying attention.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.