A ittle early to be talking contract extensions

Home Forums StateFans Football A ittle early to be talking contract extensions

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Just when you have a son of a bitch backed into a corner and start to see some fight and results is not the time to go letting him up off the mat.

5 years of absolutely nothing but we’re ready to mortgage the future based on two quality wins over a period of 6 days? I try to give Yow the benefit of the doubt, but WTF?

What a gamble.

McCallum
    Participant

Typical NC State.

Some old school Presbyterians need to be in charge.

McCallum

44rules
    Participant

While I’m certainly now down on Dave and have always hoped he was building something special here (side note: keep it going and winning please!), I do agree it’s a bit early. Although Gott and DD are separate animals, Gott crashed and burned after the extension if I remember correctly.

I’d at least wait until the end of the season. Although I think DD was automatically extended is he got 8 wins in the regular season, so if it’s just guaranteeing one or two of those years, maybe it’s not so bad.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

StateRed44
    Participant

Debbie does Raleigh

StateRed44
    Participant

It’s gonna happen and I like Doeren, so whatever. His agent probably received a few calls from interested 3rd parties….

But lets raise the recruiting budget while we’re at it. I like this “winning” thingy here. Could get used to it.

tractor57
    Participant

If the wins continue there will be an extension or DD will be coach somewhere else for more money. Maybe not the right thing during the season but then again it is his agent and the administration talking. I also think it very likely he is getting feelers from other schools.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Why not wait until after the Pitt game at the very least. It would provide one additional data point as a confirmation that we win another game that we easily should to prove deserving. That’s a 50% increase in the two data points that it appears this decision is being based on (which I still think is ridiculous).

What a charlie foxtrot if we give the man a raise and extension and we go out and get obliterated by Pitt and proceed to diddle our way to the Dollar General Bowl.

TheCOWDOG

Ain’t gonna happen right away. Chill is in order.

tractor57
    Participant

This group chill? That will be the day.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

CD are you imploring me to calm my t!ts? I have rights you know!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ain’t gonna happen right away. Chill is in order.

This in spades…

Now, come on guys… we’ve all done our share of “Deals”….

Yeah… they’re on first base… but this “Deal” won’t get done until after the season is over….
    with a bunch of IFs between now and then….

How do I know? ‘Cause that’s the way everyone of us here would DO THIS DEAL….’

The problem here, if any, if so… IS someone in either Coach’s corner or in Dr. Debbie’s office can’t keep their F’ing mouth shut… and that, my friends, is a different problem with a different solution, one frankly that deserves more attention than it’s getting. <period>

The BEAR.
    POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    13OT
    Participant

Doeren getting feelers from other schools? Based on what? He has won barely half his ACC games so far, and until the last few weeks, many felt he was on the hot seat. Yes, he beat FSU and Louisville, but both these schools are obviously not what most thought they were before the season began.

Given her track record on hires, I’m not surprised at Yow wanting to give Doeren an extension. But making it public is absolutely witless on the school’s part. State could go to Pittsburgh Saturday and get the crap beat out of them, plus they have road games at Wake and BC, two schools that have repeatedly hurt this program’s ability to claim that they’re on the rise. Half the season remains, and 4 of those 6 contests are on the road.

TheCOWDOG

CD are you imploring me to calm my t!ts? I have rights you know!

Phux, no AT. Rights is rights. Just my take. Kinda like how I wanna tell ya that your impersonation of someone else calling football related peeps, SOBs… Indirect implications, man.

LifeLongWolf
    Participant

CD is right. Y’all need to chill.

DY released this info on purpose. We are not the intended target. The target is recruits. They need to know that DD will be here through their entire college career. The actual deal will not get signed until later, just like most of y’all want it to be.

I actually think releasing this info now is quite shrewd.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

It’ll be anything but shrewd if we get molly whopped by Pitt this week.

Now I do think we’ll take care of business. It would appear we’re a good team. The defense doesn’t miss tackles anymore. QB is more than competent. The lines look great. Etc.

That said I also thought Gott would have us a top ten team this past winter. Sh!t happens. Special teams, man.

44rules
    Participant

Always scared until we win – and even worse when we lose. Yes, special teams are a problem, as is the defensive secondary.

But one thing I like about DD is how he has gone about building this team. I’ve always believed that everything feeds off interior line play. If you have good OL and D lines, you don’t necessarily need Tony Dorsett at running back. You can’t fix everything at once, and it looks like DD’s strategy has been to concentrate on lines first and build out from there, although we have nabbed some good RBs over the last few years.

I remember some no-name running back gaining 1,200 yards for the Carolina Panthers years ago. He had a great line and a great blocking fullback (Howard Griffiths IIRC?) Always thought if I was a coach/GM (and I’m not qualified for either), that’s what I would concentrate on first.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

YogiNC
    Participant

Hogs rule, the real battle is in the trenches. The best QB in the world cannot do anything if he’s running for his life. The best RB is going to be minimized without gaps to run through. And if you can’t stop the run or put pressure on the QB guess what…YOU LOSE EVERY TIME. I was watching the college top 25 show the other night on espn and one of the pundits gave State a shout out on how we could actually compete for the ACC title this year because of our lines. He felt confident that we could take Clemson, just sayin’

Smarter than the average bear

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I remember some no-name running back gaining 1,200 yards for the Carolina Panthers years ago. He had a great line and a great blocking fullback (Howard Griffiths IIRC?)

It definitely wasn’t Howard Griffith. I can’t recall any “no name” running backs for the panthers eclipsing 1k yards rushing. I do remember being pumped to watch Kerry Collins sling it around though lol.

ryebread
    Participant

Hogs rule, the real battle is in the trenches. The best QB in the world cannot do anything if he’s running for his life. The best RB is going to be minimized without gaps to run through. And if you can’t stop the run or put pressure on the QB guess what…YOU LOSE EVERY TIME.

I agree with this. I wish we’d have not lost our DL coach. If we’re extending contracts, then I hope Ledford is one that we are extending or upping.

44rules
    Participant

AT, I just looked it up. Howard Griffith was the fullback. Anthony Johnson was the tailback. Year was 1996, and AJ had 1,120 yards.

tractor57
    Participant

And assistant coaches do get “better” positions. We have been on the short end of that sometimes and on the long end in others. A successful HC is able to fill in those gaps when they happen. Maybe we are getting to that point or maybe we aren’t but going forward that will be the strength or weakness of the program.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

AT, I just looked it up. Howard Griffith was the fullback. Anthony Johnson was the tailback. Year was 1996, and AJ had 1,120 yards.

Nice find.. “no name” indeed, he completely escaped my recollection.

coach13
    Participant

Finish no worse than 10-2 and I will be all for an extension. I would anticipate a drop-off after this season and if the best you can put together is 9-3 or 8-4, meh…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.