A Closer Look at Unbalanced Schedules

Home Forums All StateFansNation A Closer Look at Unbalanced Schedules

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    13OT
    Participant

Instead of waiting for yet another ACC team, how about at least re-aligning for football NOW? Place the Big Four, GT, FSU and Clemson in one division, and the rest of the league in the other. You would have primarily old ACC rivalries in one division and old Big East rivalries in the other. Even if you argue that this wouldn’t work, how can anyone admit that having FSU, Clemson and now Louisville in the same division gives balance? I have nothing against Duke, but there is no way in hell the Devils would have made it to Charlotte via the Atlantic Division.

I do like randygupton’s re-alignment proposal, and I would keep UVA in the “ACC” division, not bring in Miami. But why do we have to have divisions in the first place? Why can’t the league simply give each team 4 primary playing partners and rotate everyone else equally on the schedule?

The ACC has become a league of haves and have-nots, and the have-nots are being shafted in the scheduling. Nowhere was that clearer than seeing WF, VT and Clemson dumped from the ACC-B1G Challenge for 3 new teams who had never played an ACC game. And you can bet that Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville will be the favored sons in basketball from now on, getting the games that matter most so that ESPN can create new rivalries at the expense of old ones.

For those of you who don’t think the State-UNC football and basketball rivalries could eventually be limited, look no further than baseball, where the league allowed these two nationally-ranked teams to play but once in the course of a 50-game schedule.

compsciwolf
    Participant

Actually 13OT, the league did no such thing in baseball. It’s actually worse than you stated. State and UNC were not scheduled to play so the teams agreed to play one non-conference game to ensure they played each other at least once this year.

13OT
    Participant

I’m aware that the league didn’t schedule this one. But they did allow it to be played after an outcry from the fans.

It’s probably the only time that ACC officials have listened to their conference’s fans in years, and probably the last.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I’m aware that the league didn’t schedule this one. But they did allow it to be played after an outcry from the fans.

I could be mistaken, but I don’t think the conference had a say in the matter. The game is a nonconference game.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It is a nonconference game.

There is NO F-CKING WAY we add a team to allow even divisions for basketball. Even in the crapulent ACC, the driver is, and forever will be, football. Because that’s where the money is.

We won’t add a 16th team unless and until the superconference landscape leverages Notre Dame to join a conference for good (and assuming they go with the ACC, which I don’t believe to be a fait accompli). We extended that timeline by giving them a sucker’s deal, like the one that helped destroy the Big East.

Logistical headaches through the roof trying to balance schedules and divisions for a 15-team football league. I suppose you could add Navy as a “football only” member, but I believe that to be a pretty stupid idea.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

We won’t add a 16th team unless and until the superconference landscape leverages Notre Dame to join a conference for good (and assuming they go with the ACC, which I don’t believe to be a fait accompli).

Their NBC football contract essentially removes all financial incentive to join a conference. I haven’t checked recently, but at one time the ND athletic department was giving $1M to the school every year. As the BE and ACC have shown, there will always be suckers around to insure that all of the other sports have conferences to play in.

A 22-game conference schedule would mean that everyone would lose two home games against some directional university (assuming that the number of games allowed stays constant). Now while that wouldn’t mean much to the average fan or most ACC schools, those schools with good season-ticket sales (like State) would lose upwards of $1M per year (assuming no increase in per-game pricing).

The only way that the conference schedule will be increased is for the media contracts to cover the lost revenue. But with the decline in ACC basketball, it doesn’t seem likely that ESPN would be willing to pay much for more of the same old shit.

But ignoring all of that, a 22-game schedule in a 15 team conference would mean 8 home/home games with 3 home only and 3 away only. This type of schedule would greatly reduce the disparity evident in this year’s conference schedule.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t think anyone else would have given ND the suckers’ deal, which is why they are in the ACC and not the B1G.

The incentive to join a conference is if/when the major conferences form a 16-team playoff, and refuse to give the Irish special rules to allow them to have their cake and eat it too. It will be such a tv money bonanza that they won’t have to include ND.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The NBC contract as well as the sucker deals with the two weakest conferences shows the perceived value of ND’s nation-wide appeal. I would like to be wrong, but I don’t think we’ll ever see the conferences grow a set big enough to kick ND out.

john of sparta
    Participant

as another posted:
    there is only ONE conference…TV.
    ESPN is just the AD.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.