2018 Wolfpack Wrestling update – ACC tourney tomorrow and other stuff

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports 2018 Wolfpack Wrestling update – ACC tourney tomorrow and other stuff

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Since horde’s of people have been asking for this, I thought I’d give a brief state of the Wolfpack Wrestling union, culled from tweets and other sources.

• NC State’s #19 Sr. Michael Boykin scored the bout’s lone takedown 20 seconds into OT and propelled the #6 Wolfpack (15-1, 5-0 ACC) to a 19-15 win over #8 Virginia Tech (14-3, 4-1) as the Pack claimed the 2018 ACC regular season title.

http://gopack.com/news/2018/2/16/wrestling-takedown-in-ot-in-final-bout-leads-6-packwrestle-to-19-15-win-over-8-virginia-tech.aspx?path=wrestling

• After claiming the ACC regular season title with a perfect 5-0 dual mark, @PackWrestle heads to Chapel Hill for Saturday’s ACC Championship. Pack has an ACC-best 7 of its 10 participants seeded No. 1 or No. 2 at their weights! #PackMentality

• The #ACCWrestle Championship will be this Saturday, March 3 starting at 11 a.m. in Chapel Hill, NC! Get your ? here: http://theacc.co/wres18tickets

• State lost to #2 Ohio State a 29-6 win over #6 NC State, but there were a couple of bright spots including the support of a packed house.

• Congrats to R-Sr. @mike_macch for being named ACC Wrestler of the Week after defeating #1 Moore of Ohio State, 7-5! He is the 5th from @PackWrestle to win the award this year!!! #PackMentality

• With a 20-0 record heading into the postseason, R-Fr. Hayden Hidlay (157 pounds) is 1 of only 2 freshmen (both redshirt and true) in all weight classes still undefeated! #PackMentality

• For the 3rd straight NCAA Coaches’ Panel Rankings (top-33 nationally), @PackWrestle with all 10 starters ranked, including 5 in the top-5!!! #PackMentality

• State is currently ranked 6th nationally.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/wrestling/d1

And for MMA fans (me) Wolfpacker and NCAA Champ Darrion Caldwell fights tonight defending his Bellator title. “135-pound champion @TheWolfMMA faces off against Pitbull brothers protege @LeandroHigoMMA. The action goes down Friday, March 2nd – LIVE & FREE on @paramountnet!”

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Thanks Ply for stepping up with this…

Two of my best friends in high school were wrasslers…
    125 and 132 class…
    the 132 went to the State championship Senior yr, did good, but didn’t win…
    and they taught me the rules, what to watch for, etc, etc, etc…

Anyway, one day they talked me into getting on the mat with ’em … just goofing around, you know…

Now I was about 6’4″ and 170lbs at the time… I’ve never been more tied up in knots and embarrassed in a sports competition in my life…

They earned my respect.

If you can wrestle… you’re a Man!

And if you know what you’re looking at, it’s a great sport to watch…
    Just doesn’t get the attention from the commoners that the money sports do….

GO PACK!

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Greywolf
    Participant

My son wrestled in JrHS at 132 I believe. I know what you mean about being tied up and embarrassed. I had to call his mother to help get me loose from something he called a cradle.

Yes, your guess is correct. It was the last time I wrestled with him on the living room floor or anywhere else for that matter.

Pack78
    Participant

I wrestled in HS…enjoyed ‘showing’ my younger bro all of the moves as I learned them…

MrPlywood
    Participant

State finished with 3 champs yesterday: Fausz (125), Hidlay, (still undefeated @ 157) and Renda (184) and send 9 to the NCAAs. Unfortunately VT finished first in the tourney. Jack finished second to Moore of VT, and there’s some speculation that he’s still suffering from the effects of his concussion or otherwise hurt, he’s just not been wrestling the same. #4 ranked Macchiavello (197) lost in OT to #1 Haught from VT. So State had 3 head to head with VT, and went 1-2.

http://gopack.com/news/2018/3/3/wrestling-packwrestle-claims-three-individual-acc-titles-advances-nine-to-ncaas.aspx

MrPlywood
    Participant

MrPlywood
    Participant

State has 3 in tonight’s semifinals, it’s a big opportunity. The team stands in 5th after session 3, trailing 4 of the best programs in wrestling.

MrPlywood
    Participant

2 Wolfpack wrestlers will go for national championships tomorrow night! Hidlay remains undeafeated, Machiavello just wrestled an awesome match and pinned a guy who was unseeded but had bulled his way to the semis including pinning the #1 seed from Ohio St.

Wilson lost a heartbreaker in OT, he remains alive for 3rd. Jack has fought his way back in the consolations, and is also alive for third.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Impressive…

Thanks for the update Ply!

POP!!!

MrPlywood
    Participant

Great move and finish by the kid from Monroe, NC…

Hidlay’s big move that gave him 6 points and an insurmountable lead… These guys are TOUGH!

MrPlywood
    Participant

MrPlywood
    Participant

MrPlywood
    Participant

Michael Macchiavello – National Champion!
    Hayden Hidlay – 2nd
    Tariq Wilson – 3rd
    Kevin Jack – 6th and 3-time All-American
    NC STATE WOLFPACK – T4 and team trophy winner (only top 4 get one).

Outstanding season!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Proud of these Wolfpackers !!!

Thanks again Ply for putting this one together…

GO LACY PACK!

MrPlywood
    Participant

Thanks BotB, I hope others are reading and checking out the vids. I thought about starting a new thread for the NCAA results. The team and individual accomplishments are really impressive, and with POP! at the helm it’s just the beginning.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^ Yes, following it all. Thanks for the updates. This is great!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.