2018 Football…let's chat

Home Forums All StateFansNation 2018 Football…let's chat

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    PackofMac
    Participant

As we quickly approach yet another football season I have a question for you guys. Of course after losing our NFL stock defensive line all we’re hearing is all the holes we have to fill on defense. That’s obvious, but after reflecting on last season, the pain and misery that was sitting in Charlotte watching South Carolina pick our defense apart, watching the sack parade at the start of the Notre Dame game then watching it vanish, watching Wake Forest score at will and on and on I find myself not so worried about the studs we lost but the Defensive Coordinator we have coming back. I mean, let’s be serious for a second, for a team that sent a locker room full of guys from defense to the NFL we/NC STATE gave up 25.23 points per game. So, where did and does the problem lie??? Coordinator, sh*tty defensive backs or just the stellar lineup we faced the likes of John Wofford. Just wandering

SaccoV
    Participant

Ted Roof is the X-factor here. For as good as our starting D-Line was last year, the stats were NOT as good as 2017. Even SBNation noted that in this “preview”/back-handed compliment. Our defense has yet to become super-special and scheme is a large part of that. I would like to see more blitzing and more disguised coverages, but Huxtable generally runs a vanilla 4-3. Our linebackers last year were especially susceptible to routes over the middle from TEs and RBs. Also, run stoppage was an issue in games against Clemson and BC in particular. I’m hoping that the coaches have some nice scheme changes to really give us a different look this year. With all the talent up-front, a basic scheme was still good, but those guys are gone. Insert creativity (where Roof needs to make his coin).

Lastly, don’t let anyone tell you that we lost that WF game. The only reason we lost, is the ACC doesn’t use goalline cameras. By the way, are those going to be installed this year? #ACCGonnaSwoff

PackofMac
    Participant

I am not just saying this to say this, I live in Winston and was at the Wake game. I sat exactly on the goal line right at “the play”. Again not just saying this but in live time there was zero doubt he crossed the goal line.

Speaking of Wake Forest, I have come to despise their tiny fan base.

redwolf21
    Participant

Well, Hux/Doeren actually run the 4-2-5 with the hybrid nickel/lb. Doeren stated at the ACC media conference that the plan will not change. Stop the run first, even if that means leaving our dbs on an island. I guess the idea is that the 4-2-5 gives a little more flexibility in covering spread/rpo offenses.
    Im all for stopping the run, and we are generally quite good at it, but the secondary personnel has not fit that scheme well, to date. Hoping that Stephen Griffin really makes a difference back there this fall.

packalum44
    Participant

Teams (especially Wake Forest) schemed around the strength of our defense (d-line) with short, quick passing. Our secondary, which consists of five players in our nickel scheme, was below average. The best teams do not have such glaring weaknesses. Balance is more important than having a single, fantastic group. We may be better on defense this year because we may have more balance, though we won’t make as many headlines. West Virginia will be the test.

ciscopack
    Participant

1st game is 2 days away….bring on JMU. I read on a JMU message board that JMU’s 500+ member band will be at the game. Should amp up the atmosphere. Go Pack!

GoldenChain
    Participant

All I can say is ‘glad I’m not gonna be there!’ I’ll be down to tha big house in the A/C while you guys are roasting! Who thought noon was a great time for a game on Labor Day weekend?! We typically play night games early in the season.

……oh stupid me, ESPN decided when it was going to be.

GoldenChain
    Participant

Glad I didn’t go down and sit in the hot to get pissed off!
    Hey JMU is no slouch and two KEY penalties made this much closer than it needed to be. Some work to do but probably a good opponent for an opening game, challenging work ahead but showed the team where they need to work. (ie secondary!!!!!!!)

Packzingo
    Participant

I realize Georgia State is next but Grier could really embarrass us….

One positive view from Sat, UNX Lost?

Packzingo
    Participant

I realize Georgia State is next but Grier could really embarrass us….

One positive view from Sat, UNX Lost

JimValvano
    Participant

Well, our “bend but don’t break” defense worked out ok again yesterday. Now the Heisman frontrunner is coming to town and I bet I’m not the only one concerned that he might break the code.

On another note, should we give Bodine a few meaningful touches to see if he’s part of the solution at RB?

rthomas44
    Participant

R. Gillespie is not the solution at RB. Can’t break the first tackle.

Fastback68
    Participant

We need a Barry Sanders at this point unless you are satisfied with 6,7 wins.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.