2016 Coaching Carousel

Home Forums StateFans Basketball 2016 Coaching Carousel

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Seeing that Georgia Tech swung and missed on both Bryce Drew (Vandy) and Jeff Capel (Duke). Focus is now on Cal’s Cuonzo Martin (who was previously at Tennessee). Martin would be a fine hire.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

“Gorjok Gak (any relation to Todd?)” – is that Dutch

Khan might be able to help me out, but I believe it’s Klingon (using alternate transliteration) for acne and serpent worms (a Klingon delicacy; yum!). Of course, technically Khan should be in hypersleep or something. Maybe he still gets phone service in his little sleep chamber. That is, if J.J. Abrams didn’t alter that aspect of the timeline. Please tell me we still had Eugenics Wars in the 90’s.

/endnerdpost

Wulfpack
    Participant

Josh Pastner, of Memphis, hired to take the helm at Georgia Tech:

Pastner’s deal with the Yellow Jackets is worth $11 million over six years, a source told ESPN’s Andy Katz. He will owe Memphis $500,000 for leaving the job.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15160931/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-hire-josh-pastner-head-coach

choppack1
    Participant

Wow. I would rather take a chance on someone who’s trajectory is going the opposite direction of Partner’s, but you never know.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Pastner has established recruiting contacts in the Atlanta area. Going to be a struggle starting out.

Rick
    Keymaster

Pastner has established recruiting contacts in the Atlanta area. Going to be a struggle starting out.

As we know, it’s more than just recruiting. I don’t think Partner is a good in game coach.

choppack1
    Participant

Worse yet, spell check automatically corrects his name.

StateRed44
    Participant

Not a huge splash at this point. Tech can obviously be a winner with the right guy. Time will tell but seems like a bail out move for Pastner.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Memphis is focusing their search on Texas Tech’s Tubby Smith. That’s right, that would be a move from the Big 12 to the American Athletic for the Tubster.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Why in God’s name would Tubby agree to THAT? Other than Memphis having better food/nightlife?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Confirmed, Tubby to Memphis.

StateRed44
    Participant

Memphis plays better basketball

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I didn’t even know Tubby was still around.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Didn’t realize this about Tubby:

It’s not easy to find success at multiple stops. However, Smith became the second coach in Division I history to lead five teams to the NCAA tournament when he guided Texas Tech to the Big Dance last month.

Will he establish a record and make Memphis the sixth?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/114757/tubby-smith-to-memphis-is-perfect

Wulfpack
    Participant

Former Little Rock/current UNLV coach Chris Beard is likely to take the Texas Tech job, as it is his dream job as he served as an asst there for 10 years. He just got on campus!!!!

MrPlywood
    Participant

If you want to work for Pastner, no golf for you!

pakfanistan
    Participant

If you want to work for Pastner, no golf for you!

GT is going to be holding classes in refrigerator boxes if they keep hiring coaches like this. I wonder if any team has ever been paying three coaches buyouts at once.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I wish we had had the same policy with Lowe. Dude hardly worked.

Yep, Texas Tech poached Beard just 7 days after he accepted the UNLV gig. Unprecedented.

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.