2016 Basketball Outlook

Home Forums StateFans Basketball 2016 Basketball Outlook

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unc-s-jp-tokoto-to-declare-for-the-2015-nba-draft-130246490-nba.html;_ylt=AwrBJSD84iVVZRwAnkmamolQ

Tokoto, 21, won’t initially sign with an agent, he said, which would give him the freedom to withdraw from the June draft prior to the April 26 early entry deadline. Even so, Tokoto’s intentions are to play in the NBA next season.

“Going in, I know I’m not a first-round pick,” Tokoto told Yahoo Sports. “I know my jumper needs work, and I’m putting in that work now – and will keep doing it. My jumper is something that has me as a second-round pick right now, but I have a mindset of work to improve the form and range of my shot.”

ancsu87
    Participant

Say what you want about Coach K but I have no respect for a guy who take advantage of the system and teaches his guys to flop and play act like a bunch of pussies to win a game. He is part of the downfall of college BB and not better than a person who abuses tax loopholes to avoid taxes because he can.

tractor57
    Participant

So coach K is evil because he takes full advantage of the rules? Granted there seemed to be a deference to the “royals” in regards to officiating but that is a league problem. No K defender here but I do respect what he has accomplished. As I have often said to be the man you have to beat the man. In the recent past the Pack has not been able to do that but I do see a change coming – and not because of waiting for old coaches to retire. The way you get better is YOU get better and I think Gott has moved the program along greatly.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t respect K because he made his bones loudly complaining about Dean getting “kid gloves” treatment by the refs and the powers-that-be, and as soon as he started getting the same thing for himself, turns out that was all he wanted. That makes him a scumbag and a hypocrite in my book.

You can say he’s just doing his job, but he’s put on a pedestal to be admired while the same circle-jerk media tries to shame Calipari (who is at least completely upfront and honest about it), and that pisses me off.

Tau837
    Participant

I don’t respect K because he made his bones loudly complaining about Dean getting “kid gloves” treatment by the refs and the powers-that-be, and as soon as he started getting the same thing for himself, turns out that was all he wanted.

I have no problem at all that he complained back then. How can you think poorly of him for complaining when he was right? The league could have effected change in one of two ways. They could have stopped giving UNC preferential treatment, evening the playing field. Instead, they went the other way and extended the preferential treatment to Duke. That choice wasn’t K’s choice, it was the league’s choice, so I don’t see anything hypocritical about it.

Of course he stopped complaining when he got the same treatment. Do you think if they started giving State the same preferential treatment we perceive UNC and Duke receive from the officials that Gott would complain about it? Would you and other State fans complain about it? I don’t think so. Would that make you hypocritical? I don’t think so.

Tau837
    Participant

And Coach K deserves to be placed on a pedestal. He is clearly among the two most accomplished men’s college basketball coaches of all time, and his success with the national team suggests that he is one of the best coaches of all time at any level.

He took over a college program that wasn’t in good shape when he got there and made it arguably the best program in college basketball during his time there. And he has done that in part due to great recruiting, yet largely of players who have not gone on to be great pro players, which suggests that he hasn’t just coasted on talent. And he has done it by playing good competition, not skating by on weak schedules. Many still see Wooden as the best ever, but K’s teams have faced much tougher competition to achieve elite success.

Like all coaches of elite programs, his players haven’t been completely clean off the court, but they have been as good or better than other comparable programs. He himself has never had any notable personal issues, whether basketball-related or not, like Knight, Pitino, Roy, Boeheim, et al. And, for me, his friendship with V made him more likable.

The only reason not to like him is that he has been a great rival coach for decades who has typically coached his teams to victories over our teams. But IMO that is not a reason not to respect him.

BJD95
    Keymaster

He said it was bullshit for anyone to receive preferential treatment. Until he got it. Hypocricy 101, as George Orwell described in Animal Farm.

And NO, that kind of shit is NOT WHAT I WANT. I want to win fair and f-cking square. Not because we intimidate referees and because the league bends the rules for us.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Coach K is no better than John Calipari. In fact, he’s WORSE, because he PRETENDS he’s better, or at least lets his buttboys in the media pretend on his behalf.

I now love crazy-assed Bo Ryan for calling him (and the NCAA) out on it. Refreshing. He will probably go on probation as a result.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I started disliking K 3 decades ago when he came into Sears in Northgate (my summer of ’85 BS job) and treated myself and at least two other employees like we were beneath him. The other two employees were Duke fans btw.

I’m sure he’d never be caught dead in Sears these days. Nowadays I’m sure he sends Capel to John Deere or Home Depot. Tractor Supply Co. on a day he feels like slumming.

I respect the way he behaved toward and for V. I don’t disrespect most of his coaching career, though one must realize that his path has been pretty cushy as far as program image and the talent pool he’s had to work with, but admittedly he got that ball rolling himself.

But make no mistake…he IS an arrogant douchebag.

redisgood
    Participant

Gott had a procedure called electrical cardioversion performed Wednesday. Sounds like it’s to restore a normal heartbeat. Anyway, must have went okay because he’s out on the recruiting trail tonight.

MrPlywood
    Participant

^Just making sure all systems are go for Cardiac Pack 2.0?

tractor57
    Participant

Wulfpacker I had a similar incident with Eddie B back in the day in an on campus incident. That has colored my impression of him for decades. Right? Probably not but it is what it is. Your incident with K sounds similar.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Winslow has decided to enter the draft, and now Jones has joined him. Winslow I figured on, but I think Jones is overestimating himself.

Joffrey just got a little more weight to carry.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Lacey entering draft. Fawk.

nav
    Participant

It must really suck to be a bb player at State because no one of high caliber ever stays long. I never figured Lacey would jump pro. Now we just need half the team to xfer to complete the implosion of next years expectations.

I freaking hate sports and hate being a State fan. I wish there was some way of getting my emotionally attached side of my brain to follow the logical side of my brain and root for a new team.

Go Duke!!!!!

ncsu12engr
    Participant
    Tau837
    Participant

Well, on the bright side, now we know where the minutes will come from for the twins. Henderson and the twins will split SG/SF.

I suppose this also could increase the likelihood that Malik Newman will choose State, though I assume that is a long shot.

Radman
    Participant

Tough having to replace shooting guard and backup point guard. Terry is more 3 than 2.

Tau837
    Participant

Could this open up a possibility of Gott experimenting with a big lineup with Washington at SF and two other bigs on the floor? That would be interesting to see.

Since74
    Participant

Had hoped we could find some minutes for Cody next year. This is not the way I’d hoped for. So who plays the 2? Who backs up the point?

redisgood
    Participant

Brace yourself. More bad news is coming. Rumor is Kyle is getting ready to bolt.

I have a feeling the Martins are going to get all the minutes they can handle next year.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Oh boy….

MrPlywood
    Participant

Well hell… No Almond Joy in Mudville today!

pakfanistan
    Participant

nav
    Participant

KW xfering is about as shocking as finding out McDonald’s is fattening. Still sucks though.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.