2015 US Open – Chambers Bay

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports 2015 US Open – Chambers Bay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Jordan Spieth tied for the front of the pack (-5) with Patrick Reed after 36 holes, looking strong so far to try to take his 2nd major for 2015.

McIlroy is off the pace by 8 strokes. Lefty is treading water, barely…and sinking fast with a +5 front nine on Saturday, 13 strokes back total now. Probably pressing because of trying to get the career grand slam monkey off his back.

Bubba and Tiger already on their way back home.

USGA should be investigated a la FIFA for the course conditions, particularly that of the greens. I get making the course tough, and it should be. But when you get on the short stuff it shouldn’t be like hitting out of rough. When putts bounce on their way to the hole, heads should roll. I’ve putted on temp winter greens that were in better shape than some of that bullshite on a coupla holes.

Fastback68
    Participant

Chambers Bay fairways look like the inside of the Bitcoin Bowl

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ Ha!! Nice.

Fastback68
    Participant

Go east of Seattle and annual rainfall totals decline beyond the cascade mountain range. Chambers Bay is south of Seattle and it looks like a lunar landscape, dry as a bone. Everybody plays the same course but how about pumping some water from the lake. Golf on AstroTurf.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

All this course is lacking is the freakin’ windmill.

U.S. Open being played on a Putt-Putt course…

That being said, what Jason Day did today was absolutely outstanding !

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ I think FOX was (not so) secretly hoping he’d fall out at some point just for the ratings bump.

But yeah, between the medical situation, the resultant media circus and the course itself, pretty impressed with his day today. Kinda pulling for the dizzy Aussie to kick some arse tomorrow.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Garth Mulroy was State’s only entry in this year’s Open. He followed up a first round 74 with a two over 72 to finish six over, just one stroke off the cut line. Back to the Web dot com tour for Garth.

It’s been a fun tournament from a fan’s perspective, I think. It’s good to see the course get in the players’ heads, and watch them struggle to break par. Mike Davis continues to say that the course rewards good shots, but I’ve seen some pretty good shots get rewarded with a lie in the ever-present sand. The players can’t really fire at the flags, so it requires some creativity in shot making. Today’s pin placements should be interesting, and hopefully, it’s a close finish.
    Whoever can putt these browns, er, greens the best, which is a skill, like anything else, should win.

highstick
    Participant

I honestly didn’t pay too much attention until this afternoon, but poa is rampant and the greens look horrible(no grass). I didn’t get south of Seattle when I was out there a couple of years ago, but is it really that dry there? It’s only 33 miles south of the airport and I wouldn’t have thought it would change that drastically in that short of a distance. I understand “east of the Cascades” cause you get into the desert over there after coming out of the mountains.

I don’t mind toughening up a golf course, but when you hit a good shot and won’t hold…something’s amiss!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Agree with ‘stick…you’ve got to at least have some idea how the greens are gonna behave, otherwise it’s little more than luck.

Fastback68
    Participant

Crazy and extremely entertaining. I would have been on the tracks all day.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Wow…can’t believe Johnson 3 putted from about 15 ft on 18.
    Was already looking forward to the playoff tomorrow.
    Spieth survives the double on 17.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Finally. Wolfpacker Tim Clark is in the field for this week’s Travelers Championship in Cromwell CT. Clark has not played on the tour since he tied for 30th at the Sony Open in Hawaii five months ago. Clark’s surgically repaired, yet chronically ailing, left elbow has improved and hopefully, after only playing in six events this season, he’s ready to move up from his 92nd ranking in the FedEx Cup standings. It has been a tough season for the Penguin, and perhaps it could be his last if his supination disability claim is not granted, and his belly putter is not allowed next year. Clark has never used a short putter, due to his disability, and he has been very vocal about “having his livelihood taken away” from him. So while Tim faces a big challenge in staying healthy over the season’s final three months, an even greater challenge lies ahead for him in the brief off season.

TheCOWDOG

Nice update on Clark, Wolfanatic.

I saw Day’s Friday from the git go, and was astounded by his recovery. That was my US Open moment.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Any thread that manages to get “supination” in the mix is winner in my book. If someone works in “pronation” I’ll probably go into a physio-anatomical-flashback-stupor hearkening back to my formaldehyde fueled days in anatomy lab.

Honest…it was the formaldehyde. 😉

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Well, Tim Clark’s return to the PGA Tour ended up being a bit of a dud. After firing an opening round even par 70, Clark followed that up with a four over 74 to miss the cut by two strokes. Clark’s World Golf Ranking dropped from #69 to #71. Perhaps more pronation is in order?

But, an even bigger Wolfpack-centric golf story unfolded at the Travelers. Carl Pettersson, who entered the field with a WGR #213, mired in perhaps his worst pro season, found his game on the rain-softened TPC River Highlands course. Carl shot a closing round 66 to garner a fifth place finish ($256,000), his first top ten finish of the year and only his second top twenty-five. He was a missed six foot birdie putt away from getting to one stroke behind the leader and eventual winner, Bubba Watson, on the 16th green. Regardless, Carl’s big prize was an invite to the 144th British Open, or as the Euros say, The Open. For the first time, the Travelers became part of the British Open Qualifying Series offering four spots at The Old Course at St. Andrews to the four highest finishers in the top twelve, previously not qualified. Pettersson’s finish elevated his WGR to #166 and increased his yearly earnings to $625,869. He took the 93rd spot in the Fed Ex Cup standings. The five-time tour winner from Sveden, yah, has made 16 cuts in 24 events this year, and yesterday’s finish was his 50th career top ten.

Meanwhile, further on up in the Northern hemisphere, on the Mackenzie Tour (PGA Tour- Canada), at the Syncrude Boreal Open, Wolfpack brethren Albin Choi and Matt Hill finished T26 and T37 respectively. Choi is off to a fantastic start this year. Prior to the official start of the season, Albin captured the PGA Tour Canada Q-School-Florida in Winter Garden with a 68-66-64-65 three stroke victory. It was a no-purse qualifying event, and Choi earned exempt status on the tour for this season. The Mackenzie Tour features twelve regular season events, each with a meager purse of $175,000 and a winner’s share of $31,500 (CAD). The three time All-American Choi collected that $31,500 at the year’s second event, The Bayview Place Island Savings Open at Victoria, BC. With $37,310 through three events, Albin remains atop the money leaders board, and seems a cinch, barring any unfortunate events, to gain his Web.Com Tour card for next year.

Things have not gone so swimmingly for Matt Hill. The former NCAA Champ-2009, ACC Co-champion and winner of just about every award imaginable for 2009, has raked in a grand total of $1626.00 (CAD) through three events. He continues to struggle to put four decent rounds together, as evidenced by his closing round 75 yesterday after shooting 70-70-69.

The Air Capital Classic was this past week’s Web.com Tour event. Out in Wichita, KS N.C.State’s Marc Turnesa missed the cut by one stroke shooting 70-70 even par. Turnesa is number 85 on the Tour’s money list($34,352.15), while fellow Wolfpacker, Garth Mulroy is #114 (20,094.29).

Next up on the PGA Tour is the Greenbrier Classic at White Sulphur Springs WV. The Web.com Tour takes off, eh, to Halifax Canada, for the Nova Scotia Open, while the Mackenzie Tour will battle it out at the SIGA Dakota Dunes in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, one of my favorite places. Good luck to the Wolfpackers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.