2015 National Championship open thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation 2015 National Championship open thread

• This topic has 177 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by BJD95.
Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

Playing the casual fan I liked the game. Close fought. I was hoping the other teams would win but not so upset either way.

Rick
    Keymaster

I was hoping for a better game from the refs. The inconsistencies are mind boggling especially on that big of a stage.
    K and Duke did a great job. Not many coaches would ride Allen like he did. I bet K worked the hardest he ever has for this one.
    Duke won with 4 freshmen. Only freshmen scored in the second half. At best two of them come back. So no you do not need a ton of experience and no you do not need to play together for three years to be good.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I am sooooooooooooooo happy I got extra sleep and watched Better Call Saul leisurely with morning coffee instead of the predictable narrative last night. 2015 can go f-ck itself. Buckeyes, Pats, Devils. Blech. I’m sure the SAWX are next.

Fastback68
    Participant

So Coach K is 2.5X better than Deano and 2.5x better than Roy and better than both combined. Nelson “HA-HA!”

BJD95
    Keymaster

And we are further behind as third wheel. It makes a bigger impact on the “not our rivals” front than it does on the “annoys the Holes” factor. I have never understood cheering for Duke as a means to get at U*NC. Makes no sense to me.

They are BOTH the enemy. Duke is just slightly less repulsive. OK, WAY less repulsive outside of hoops. 😀

Fastback68
    Participant

“Cheering for Duke” More like searching through the bombed out rumble for one remaining family photo. I didn’t have to watch the game to know the outcome. The only silver lining is sour grapes for UNX. “Further behind as a third wheel” I see it as a major crossroad for State. Can our 4 post players break out like Cat, can we add at least one solid contributor for next year, can every player get better on D and O and most importantly can the 2016 class deliver the talent required to break the “ceiling” I have to read about endlessly.

Personally, I think State is teetering between a breakout or the continuation of mashing 4 year players with 2 year transfers. The irony will not be lost if Lacey and Henderson prove to be the weight that tips the scales in terms of on court success which sways 5 or more quality HS recruits to put on the Red and White.

And yeah, I am petty. I would walk 5 miles out of may way to piss into as many Tuesday morning light blue coffee cups with the “did you see the game last night, K sure knows his X and Os” question. 🙂 I went to bed as soon as 3 came off the bench.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

I have never understood cheering for Duke as a means to get at U*NC. Makes no sense to me.

THIS. I have never understood those State fans who will root for Dook or UNX simply b/c they are the last ACC teams in the tourney. Are you kidding me? I would rather root for Satan himself. Hell, I won my bracket group last night only because Wisconsin lost (2nd place had them winning), yet I was STILL rooting against Dook. All another championship does is give them more reason to hold their noses up at us. I can respect the coaches, and I do, but damn it, I will NEVER root for them.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I rooted for Duke over Calhoun. It turned my stomach to do so. Of course, the f-ckers lost. Served me right.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Not sure how to paint the right picture for me…I pulled REALLY hard for Wiscy last night, mainly for the reasons that Beej has previously posted and (this may get some negative comments going) I really like Bo.

Don’t like it when Duke wins, but nowhere near UNX level hatred. And oddly, I CAN and DO actively support any other ACC schools. Just can’t do it for the blues. Maybe in another ten years I’ll be much wiser, I’ll grow as a person, cast aside my preconceived biases. Maybe you can teach a 50-year old dog a new trick?

Hey, you REALLY old guys…any chance of that happening?

Wulfpack
    Participant

I was pulling for Wiscy, but I am fully aware of K’s greatness and his place in history. Doesn’t make it easier, but it is impressive.

ncsu1987
    Participant

^firmly on display last night: Rick is right, K took a BIG gamble on Grayson last night and it paid off BIG. Few coaches would have that…..fortitude. Mike coached his ass off last night, even on the ladder he looked exhausted.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I have mixed feelings about last night’s game. First…it was pretty good. If you want to see a remake of SW III Death Star….watch the NCAAW tonight. Picture Muffin (ND) as Princess Lea and watch her team (home planet) get destroyed by Geno (Darth and the Devil). It has all the makings of that….

As to the game….I was neutral and then started to pull for Wisc….not against Mikey. Just for the Underdog. I was the SAME way in the ACCT. I was at the game. I stayed neutral….until I decided that i did NOT want ND to win….but could NOT yell for ORW. I was part of his SILENT Majority.

I think it adds prestige to the ACC for Mikey to pull it off….

NOW….go to this article…..Old BO Ryan pulled no punches….

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/wisconsin-s-bo-ryan-has-a-few-officiating-hot-takes/14564965/

Officating….Brian Kersey and maybe Jamie Luckie were in the final four games…I think. But last night….look at who the NCAA chose…

Michael Stephens. Statsheet has his file – 2000 – 2014 – Big East & ACC
    Pat Driscoll. Statsheet has is file – 1996 – 2014 – Big East & Big Ten
    Joe De Rosa Statsheet has this “spelling” as 2010 – 2011 – Conf USA
    J B. or JB DeRosa Statsheet has this “spelling” as 2014 – 2015 – Big South & Ohio Valley
    Joe or Joseph DeRosa Statsheet has this “spelling” as 2010 – 2014 – Big 12 & SEC & Horizon
    Joe De Rose Statsheet has this “spelling” as 2011 – Big 12

Old Joe ain’t exactly an “old timer”. Hess could probably have done better.

I read the comments to my wife….it is OK for the “Football” team at Wisc to “Rent a Player”….some kid named Wilson…but not the BB team.

Gotta LOVE IT…

BUT, the total Fouls were pretty even. Duke 13 and Wisc 15. It was REALLY a LOW FOUL GAME. Most of our ACC Ref’s will average in the 35 – 40 FPG range. Wisc benefited from the fouls in the first half on Duke….they had 9 and Wisc probably had only 3 or so….
    BUT, the second half told the tale…..sort of a MAKE UP for all the tweeting in the first half.

NOW, I am reading the ESPN Box Score Stats, but Statsheet has the same totals.

Wonder if Mikey figured out HOW to work the Refs and get some relief. He commented on the inconsistency in the first half and Bo is mad about the second half.

Reffing was really UGLY….and why the young guy?

WolfWiz11
    Participant

I CAN and DO actively support any other ACC schools. Just can’t do it for the blues.

I’m not there yet, but maybe one day I will be able to root for other ACC schools at that point. I do like ND because one of my best friends is an alum, so I was rooting hard for them against Kentucky. My philosophy once State loses is to root for my favorite teams/coaches outside of the Blues. Kansas has been a favorite ever since they knocked off UNX years back, but I knew they weren’t going anywhere this year. And I’ve always respected and liked Pitino. I just can’t root for the other Triangle teams.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Bo is cray-cray, but in a way that I kinda dig.

Texpack
    Participant

I was hoping for a better game from the refs. The inconsistencies are mind boggling especially on that big of a stage.
    K and Duke did a great job. Not many coaches would ride Allen like he did. I bet K worked the hardest he ever has for this one.
    Duke won with 4 freshmen. Only freshmen scored in the second half. At best two of them come back. So no you do not need a ton of experience and no you do not need to play together for three years to be good.

If two or three of them are lottery picks I will agree

highstick
    Participant

How can you pull against a coach named Bo Ryan(Rein)?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Rick
    Keymaster

So the argument changes again. Sigh.

choppack1
    Participant

Show me a gracious loser and I’ll show you a loser. This can be taken to an extreme – but I am glad Ryan publicly called out the zebras.

I abhor the way college basketball is officiated. The NCAA should take some of the billions it gets from the tourney and do whatever possible to minimize the impact of the “human factor” of officiating.

The reason officials are on the court is to ensure that the rules of the game are followed. Unfortunately, I think technology has allowed officials to prep for these games by watching tape. They look for tendencies and ref the game based on them.

Does anyone here think that officials reward teams who play by the rules or is it the opposite? Do they reward the holding, hand checking, pushing and bumping?

Tau837
    Participant

With regard to rooting, I root for all ACC teams other than UNC in non-conference games. For me, no other team, including Duke, is close to UNC in terms of how much I despise them. I always respected Coach K, but his late friendship with V, especially how it was portrayed in Survive and Advance, made me like and respect him even more.

With regard to Ryan, he came across like a sore loser, because he is. There are much worse things. Note that he didn’t only complain about the officiating, he also made derisive comments about one and dones and 5th year transfers, which was hypocritical, since he has recruited one and dones, he just hasn’t landed them.

With regard to the college game, here is what it needs IMO:

1. 30 second shot clock.
    2. No full reset of shot clock on offensive rebounds; reset to 20 seconds, for example.
    3. 8 seconds to cross half court rather than 10.
    4. Move 3 point line to NBA distance.
    5. Move restricted area to NBA size.
    6. Officiating emphasis on hand checking and impeding cutters.
    7. Officiating emphasis on charge/block call:
    a. emphasize better identification of flops, and ignore them or call defensive fouls
    b. emphasize better identification of offensive players initiating contact, and ignore it or call offensive fouls

I’m sure there could be more tweaks made, but, if all of that were done, it should significantly increase the pace and flow of the game and create more room for driving and creativity on offense.

ancsu87
    Participant

I was hoping for a better game from the refs. The inconsistencies are mind boggling especially on that big of a stage.K and Duke did a great job. Not many coaches would ride Allen like he did. I bet K worked the hardest he ever has for this one.Duke won with 4 freshmen. Only freshmen scored in the second half. At best two of them come back. So no you do not need a ton of experience and no you do not need to play together for three years to be good.

R

So the argument changes again. Sigh.

No the reading comprehension problem continues because the opinions don’t match your “correct” viewpoint. SMH and Sigh

tractor57
    Participant

As far as changes to the current game I’m taking another tack. Return the game to how it was played in 1974 – no shot clock, more emphasis on controlling excessive physical play. I would make one change that being make the lane area consistent with international rules and raise the emphasis on the 3 second in the lane call.
    The other thing I would do is eliminate the exceptions to admission requirements but at the same time strengthen the NBA DL and remove any restriction on the age of players for the NBA.
    Maryland and the Pack did not need a shot clock in that famous ’74 ACC championship game.

Obviously none of this will happen as the current idea is to speed up the game with the shot clock, use the 3 point shot to make late game comebacks a bit more likely and the money guys want those “one and done” types even if they cannot survive academically.

One other thought is to remove ANY ties between athletics and academics. Make academics available but do not require anything in that area. In other words the school supports a semipro team and plays the players accordingly. That also will never happen.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

No shot clock would be a disaster….I’m flashing back to a Duke/UNC game that was something like 12-10 at half.

Red Baron
    Participant

VaWolf82 are you thinking about the 12-10 NC State victory over Duke in the 1968 ACC Tournament semifinals?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Probably this one; but the Duke/NCSU game is another good example

February 24, 1979: #6 Duke 47, #4 North Carolina 40

Jim Spanarkel’s Senior Day game turned into one of the strangest afternoons in ACC basketball history as Duke held Carolina scoreless for a half before knocking off the No. 4-ranked Tar Heels 47-40. Dean Smith resorted to the four corners offense and the Tar Heels held the ball throughout the first half, but Duke led 7-0 as Spanarkel forced two turnovers, assisted on a basket to Mike Gminski and scored the last bucket of the half on a short jumper. (Smith later said, “It should have been 2-0, or something like that, at the half.”) Carolina’s only two shots of the first half were air balls, that resulted in the first-ever chants of “Air ball . . . Air ball!” from the Cameron Crazies. Sparnakel added 15 points in the second half and finished with a game-high 17, hitting 8-of-9 field goal attempts. The win allowed Duke to tie North Carolina for the ACC regular season title.

Duke coach Bill Foster wasn’t amused by Smith’s tactics in the first half and the next day said, “I’ve been doing this a long time, but during the first half last night I began to think maybe I’ve been doing it for too long.” He then added this infamous dig: “I thought Naismith invented basketball, not Deansmith.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina%E2%80%93Duke_rivalry

YogiNC
    Participant

tractor, that 74 ACC championship game is still the best game I’ve ever seen. While many others have also held high drama none did like that one. Had State lost they wouldn’t have had a chance at the national championship. As it was Maryland bypassed the NIT because Lefty was so mad at losing that game. The ACC had 3 of the top 10 teams in the country and only one went to the big dance. I think every fingernail I had was bleeding after that game.

Smarter than the average bear

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.