11 days to kickoff – 11 memorable non-conference games

Home Forums All StateFansNation 11 days to kickoff – 11 memorable non-conference games

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    ruffles31
    Keymaster

Today, there are 11 days until NC State kicks off their 2015 campaign against the Troy Trojans at Carter-Finley Stadium. In anticipation of the season
    [See the full post at: 11 days to kickoff – 11 memorable non-conference games]

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Last 20 years? Youngsters!!! (SMH)

54 yd FG by Penn State to win as time expires.
    I still have scars from that one.

Beating Penn St in Happy Valley when Johnny Evans was the QB. I wasn’t there, but my uncle that was told the story of Evans’ quick kick about 100 times (and I didn’t get to see him that often).

TD catch by Peebles in an untimed down against South Carolina.

Pack85EE
    Participant

Great reminder of past games. Here’s one at the top, in the 30 year window. And considering recent events, gives a shout out to Eric Kramer.
    SC at State in 1986. We started the 2nd 1/2 with good lead but SC powered their way back. Two field goals (defense led by Ray Agnew and company holding on but no help from offense) and TD by SC. And then we throw a pick, they get a another TD +2 to take 6 point lead. We trade possessions and get the ball back near their 40 off a poor punt with 33 seconds left. And then on what looked to be the last play of the game, their D linemen jumps over the O line and pulls down Kramer, replay clearly shows he’s offsides and jumps early. One last play, untimed because no time on the clock, hail Mary to Danny Peoples in traffic. Big Time WIN!

primacyone
    Participant

Good Read Ruffles. The @Texas Tech game with Chuck and TA was one I enjoyed as well.

But yes, I would have to go back an include the 70s as well. The 74 Penn State game, The 75 Florida game, and the 79 Penn State game. Wish I could find a video replay of all three of those. They were incredible and all at The Carter.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Kramer beat the Chickens heroically the year before in Columbia, too. No teevee, but it sounded incredible on the radio. Only played the 4th quarter because he was supposed to be out with a hernia.

I was in the end zone, surrounded by Chickens fans (most were costumed) for that untimed down. Probably my very best wolven memory outside of 1983.

The Penn State heartbreak is, swear to God, the very first thing I can remember from my childhood. I remember how loud C/F was, then how dead silent.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Good Read Ruffles. The @Texas Tech game with Chuck and TA was one I enjoyed as well.

Good call on one that fits in the 20 year time frame.

TheCOWDOG

Which Texas Tech game? For what it’s worth, I’m goin’ for the shootout in Lubbock.

Oh,and Syracuse circa ’72. My first game in Red and White. Pretty memorable…for me.

Pack78
    Participant

I remember a last-possession TD drive to beat the Chickens (’75?)…ABC regional TV IIRC-Gamecock students held up a large endzone sign that read: ‘Hello ABC-nobody can lick our Cocks’.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^^ I assume the 5 TD TA game?

That @ Ohio State game was epic. Thanks for the link. I’ve looked for a download for a while now, but haven’t been successful. If only it could have turned out slightly different.

primacyone
    Participant

Yes, the Shoot Out with Texas Tech with Freshman TA Mclendon scoring five touchdowns after entering the game late due to punishment for oversleeping and missing a team meeting that morning.

http://www.gopack.com/news/2002/9/21/Wolfpack_Posts_Thrilling_Overtime_Win_at_Texas_Tech.aspx

13OT
    Participant

Most memorable non-conference Wolfpack game EVER was the Saturday night 16-6 win over #2 Houston in the Astrodome.

I still think it’s the biggest non-conference win ever for Wolfpack football. It wasn’t televised back in 1967, so we listened to it on WPTF radio. A friend of mine who was there that night (he was stationed there) told me that State completely dominated that game, that they were bigger and stronger than the Cougars.

And that season featured perhaps the second most memorable non-conference game as well, the 13-8 loss at Penn State on a failed 4th down try on the goal line. Again, no tv.

Had the 8-0 Wolfpack won that one, oh what might have been. Just like Columbus.

DC_wolf
    Participant

Don’t know if bowl games fit the criteria, but the 2003 Gator Bowl win was especially memorable to me; I still recall the great feeling of satisfaction at having thrashed Notre Dame (granted, a less-than stellar, lucky to be there ND) in a New Year’s Day bowl.

I would put that ahead of our home-end of the home-&-home w/ Ohio State: that was a pretty embarrassing display of lack of discipline in our 1st year “After Rivers”, e.g., the throat-slashing gesture, 100+ yards of penalties, plus the previously mentioned turnovers, may have been the beginning of the end for Chuck-the-Chest.

Clarksa
    Participant

That Navy game was a whole lot of fun. We sat in a Navy section and talked with all the Navy grads around us…grads from the ’60’s & 70’s. Very memorable experience. I believe Philip was 10-15 with 5 TD passes that day.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Man, watching stuff pre-HD makes it look so old. It’s like ancient film footage discovered in a cave or something; not something from only 15 years ago.

triadwolf
    Participant

Another one that comes to mind is the 1996 game against Alabama where Jamie Barnette got his first start as a RS freshman. We didn’t win, but it was right down to the wire. If I recall correctly, Barnette was starting because O’Cain suspended Laureano.

LRM
    Keymaster

The impossible inconsistency of that ’98 team. In the span of a month we barely beat Ohio, then owned FSU, then got wholly embarrassed at Baylor, then pounded Syracuse. The rest of the season was the same — when we were bad, we were BAD.

If you make a counter to this list, Baylor ’98 and USC 2008-09 have to be Top 3, right?

jimi eno47
    Participant

Well, I just discovered that you can only praise the team …

No what you discovered is that we like to keep the comments focused on the topic of the entry.
    VaWolf82

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ Might have been a system glitch. You most assuredly can post things other than candy and sunshine. Hell, we’d be out of business if that were true.

The Shad stuff is being talked about to some degree toward the end of this thread, so have at it.

http://www.statefansnation.com/forums/topic/a-couple-of-football-notes/

ruffles31
    Keymaster

LRM,

I thought about doing a worst non-conference list but that would just be depressing. Yes, the two South Carolina games are there along with both Baylor games. Remember the 95 game where State lost 14-0 in a cold rain and I think State had something like 90 yards offense and 2 first downs. Ouch.

And the UCF game in 2006 to begin the TOB era. First play of the era, UCF goes 80 yards on an off-tackle run. Ouch again.

Akron 2006. He didn’t make it (although it never should have come down to one play…ever):

Akron Closeup

And there are several other ECU games I could add.

Way too painful of a post

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Well, I just discovered that you can only praise the team …

No what you discovered is that we like to keep the comments focused on the topic of the entry. We don’t spend time putting together an entry and then allow the comments to address anything under the world. Shad’s punishment was being discussed in the “A Couple of Football Notes” thread and has absolutely zero relevance to a discussion on memorable non-conference games.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.