Reply To: Geno Auriemma: Men’s College Basketball Is “A Joke”

Home Forums All StateFansNation Geno Auriemma: Men’s College Basketball Is “A Joke” Reply To: Geno Auriemma: Men’s College Basketball Is “A Joke”

PapaJohn
Participant

“Who put sand in his vajayjay?”

Spit out my lunch!!! Funny!

I think Gino overstated his point to get the conversation started. And it worked.

I see no reason not to tweak the game to attempt to improve it. Try things, drop them if they fail, keep them if not. But, as noted, the Refs are always going to be a problem until the guys signing their checks want it fixed.

I think it makes sense to align many of the rules with the NBA. Why not make the 3PT line the same? (add 3 feet) It’s not like the college guys can’t hit it, they will adjust. There may be a temporary dip in shooting percentage, but it won’t last.

Shorten the shot clock. Going all the way to 24 with one leap might be too much, but dropping it down to 30 would be an improvement. Most possessions, more opportunities to score.

Widen the lane to 16 feet (+4 feet) and the restricted area (+1 foot). I think that can only help the game, it will make driving the basket more common.

And here’s a nutty idea, add a 4 point shot. Anything beyond half court is worth 4 points. Wouldn’t it be fun to see that integrated to that end of game strategy? Bombs away! I think I remember Cat hitting one his freshman year. And just before the half, what about letting one fly for that 4 point burst going into the half? I think it would be fun – but realistically, nobody’s is even considering this idea.

The NFL tweaks itself, and they are a runaway train success story. I think we regularly fine tune to get the game we love better.