Reply To: Shaka Smart #1 candidate at Wake Forest?

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Shaka Smart #1 candidate at Wake Forest? Reply To: Shaka Smart #1 candidate at Wake Forest?

ryebread
Participant

Pun filled thought of the day: Smart to WF would be a smart hire if WF could pull it off. I suspect Smart thinks it would be smart to leave VCU while bigger suitors are still calling. Eventually the big suitors smarten up and decide someone just wants to stay at a “lesser” job. As a NC State fan (or member of the administration), it would really smart if Smart took the WF job.

In all seriousness, I expect Wellman to swing for the fences. What does he really have to lose?

Howland is not that guy though. He ran a train wreck at UCLA and seems too blue collar for WF.

Arch is much too green. I think he’s a good coach and will be a great one. I don’t think that’s the hire that saves Wellman’s hide. I’m really hoping that he’ll end up at NC State, but that is looking less likely. We’ll have Gott a long time given the way the contract is structured.

You heard it here first — Tommy Amaker. Wake will “steal” one from Harvard, which is what they aspire to be. He’ll be a hot name after what appears will be a Sweet 16 run. You have to think he’s itching to prove himself again at a a high major.

Off topic, but the Duke loss leaves me mixed. Does it take some heat off of State short term? Yep. Am I happy on some level to watch the Rat go down? Yep.

It’s bad for the league, just like us blowing a huge lead was. Indirectly, that hurt us.

It is probably good for Duke long term, because the last few Duke teams have really been hurt by going for the 1 and done type players. I think they’ll go back to their traditional model and actually be better. What’s good for Duke is typically not good for State.