Reply To: DOOK on COLD night in the PNC…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball DOOK on COLD night in the PNC… Reply To: DOOK on COLD night in the PNC…

highstick
Participant

Four or five years before I ever walked into Reynolds Coliseum, I went to my first ACC Basketball game….

One of my Mom & Dad’s best friends had a son at Duke, he got his POP 2 tickets and his POP, for whatever reason, took me to a Saturday afternoon basketball game in Cameron, back when maybe 4.200 standing was the max…

The opponent that day was the WOLFPACK…

I don’t remember the final score or much else, except that it was a close, hard fought game and I had a great time… and that a few of the names on the floor in blue were Verga, Vacendek and Lewis and in red… Williford and Wells….

———-

In 1972, I moved on down the road from the Sock Capital of the World to Alexander Dorm…
My best friend from HS, went to Duke…

I was at every NCState basketball in Cameron for the next four years and returned the favor with the corresponding tixs to Reynolds…

So that how it works… that love v. hate thing x time ….

———–

SO we got the Blue Devils coming over on a night when the only thing colder might be our shooting percentage…

Coach Rat’s got his array of MAC-5-Star/oneanddone/freshman who just give him thatWTFlook in practice most days… and we got Keatt’s array of motleys, none of who are fools and… who busttheira##es in both directions, but lately don’t know which way to go…

Could be a barnstormer tonite, or not….

No predictions here…

I just want to see IF our TEAM shows up!

… and if the Devils don’t, we’ll kick their a##es back to West Durham…

POP!!!

I’ve seen Vacendak around town, but don’t know him. I do know Tom Hickman, the recently retired AD that he mentions in the article though. Tom’s a Wake grad. http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/college/big-south/winthrop-university/article68029302.html

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!