UPDATED: Orange County DA asks SBI to probe UNC-CH academic scandal

Home Forums All StateFansNation UPDATED: Orange County DA asks SBI to probe UNC-CH academic scandal

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    bTHEredterror
    Participant

Their overall arogance is what is most amazing to me. They don’t get that the play-play swahili classes are unfair not because they got an advantage over other UNcheat students, but the schools they compete with that aren’t willing to provide the same level of *ehem* education to their students.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Arrogance no doubt. I mean, how many schools would approve an internet ad saying “The MBA you probably can’t get into” ? Can’t speak for others, but regardless of the school (ie, even if it wasn’t Carolina) that elicits nothing from me but a big F you.

And to be honest, I think part of their problems stem from the fact that no one person over there knows/knew everything that was going on…another by product of the permissive culture, IMHO (Do I need to clear this with Butch or Dick? Nah…they won’t care).

PackerInRussia
    Participant

So their response has consistently been: “We didn’t know about it (in other words, it’s not our fault;” “This was a rogue (fill-in-the-blank)” “We’re convinced this is an isolated incident;” etc. Do these sound like the reactions of an institution that actually has a proud academic heritage? If so, I’d expect something along the lines of contrition, anger, embarrassment; something that showed that they’re not happy that this would happen at their school. They don’t seem surprised at all, though; they don’t even seem upset that this could happen in a place of supposed academic superiority. They’re not even accidentally remorseful; like they’re not even surprised. They’re unintentionally revealing that they know the whole “public ivy” business is just talk.

UNC-Chapel Hill ni utani f***ing

packplantpath
    Participant

GA, the link with the marine who had the honor of taking swahili with the starting lineup of the heels:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Charlotte-Marine-finds-peace-through-charity-in-Kenya-120271264.html

Added… thank you!

OAB

Kudos for using “disinterested” correctly. 🙂

And I really don’t understand Roy’s logic of “I’m not worried about my players taking phantom classes because lots of other kids were taking them too.” I bet Will Graves wishes Roy applied the same logic to smoking weed.

Hawkeye Whitney
    Participant

Further evidence of the lack of integrity at the flagship, in the political realm. James O’ Keefe, the guy who is going around filming proof of voter fraud, visited our friends in Chapel Hill (the end of the youtube video). They are taking a lot of hits from a lot of different directions right now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

CHOPPACK,

You are 100% SPOT ON. Our athletic department was virtually castrated in 1990. Claude Sitton of N&O fame privately (and semi-publicly) declared that he was going to “get” Valvano. Bring in a BOG commission chaired by Lonnie (SP?) Poole that said, “Gee Coach, why don’t you just GIVE the players some spending money so that they won’t have to SELL their shoes or their tickets….”. NOW couple it with a VERY jealous Faculty and you have the pefect storm. Run the Chancellor OUT OF TOWN. Elect, by Kangaroo Kourt, ONE OF THEIR OWN, Dr. Larry Monteith of EE fame and bring in Todd Turner, the most inept AD in the recorded history of collegiate athletics. BTW, MANY of the folks on the faculty senate (who are TENURED as was Uncle Julius Nyang’oro (SP?) ARE the PROTEGES of the folks that “GOT” Jimmy V and you can see WHY it has taken almost 22 years to swing the pendulum BACK. They STILL tell stories at the various faculty outings about how their hero, St. Monteith, slayed the mighty dragon, Valvano, and saved the wannabe ivy covered halls (actually a brickyard attesting to the brickmaking industry’s lobbying) and they can reminise for HOURS. Throw in a few jokes with a punchline of “It was ONLY 3 millirenkens…..HA! HA! HaHa!” and you get the picture.

Had Jimmy V EVER been involved with a grade mill or academic scam of this magnitude, the BOG and the Administration would have vacated ALL the basketball wins and tournaments and honors that Case & Sloan had won. It was a bloodbath, athletically speaking, back then and the faculty STILL speaks about such in hushed and revered tones. They consider their “VICTORY” to be MORE important than the Magna Carta and the Revolutionary war. It was THEIR revolution and THEY won.

I lived through it. I wrote letters to everyone, including George Herbert Walker Bush about it. I probably cried over it and I lost a LOT of sleep. I cancelled my Alumni membership and have NEVER donated a penny to the actual university. NOW don’t get me started on how they choose and administer and follow-up on the Caldwell Scholars winners and the “perks” that they get, financially and academically, to keep the “awards and averages” index HIGH. What they, the academiians and the Alumnii association (who joined the call for crucifiixion of Jimmy V) did in the mid 90’s, from an academic fraud standpoint makes old Butchy and Roy and Julius look like kids in kindergarden.

Having said that, I really believe that Randy Woodson and Debbie Yow are bringing back a balance and am excited about the future. What UNC does or handles this “mess” will be talked about FAR LONGER than the jokes about tickets and shoes and amphibious (actually a Jimmy V line).

Thus endeth the rant of the morning….but Choppack has it correct.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alpha, you’re partially correct. UNC is shoveling something, but it’s not sand. I’ve been a Wolfpacker since 1968 and in all that time, UNC has been known as a place that would gladly give you a diploma. A USAF buddy of mine struggled to keep a decent GPA at State. He transferred to UNC and graduated without problems. The place has always been a joke.

runwiththepack
    Participant

Professor Julius had better stay away from buses – and dump trucks and such for awhile, just in case something “unfortunate” happens.

Julius, watch out for Tony Soprano and his “friends”!

I was just reading about this story. UNC educators encouraging voter fraud and no mention in today’s N&O online version.

Are these people still employed at the UNC this morning?

http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/15/new-okeefe-video-exposes-non-citizens-on-voter-rolls-in-nc-voter-fraud-comfort-at-unc/

rtpack24
    Participant

Since numerous football players and our beloved Mr Austin took these phantom courses, this should open the door for the SBI acquire the 216 phone records which I believe will shed the light on this entire matter.

NCSU88
    Participant

I suggested it for the Butch Davis prong, I’ll suggest it again. Bring in all the secretaries and assistants who worked for these clowns. They know exactly what was going on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If these courses have anything whatsoever to do with Affirmative Action, I seriously doubt much will come of this.

ppack3
    Participant

I do hope that there is just one good reason for the SBI to request those phone records. There are things in those records that, when threatening to leak them, got Butch fired without cause.

There’s a silver bullet in those records.

GAWolf
    Keymaster

SWAH 403 [003] Intermediate Kiswahili III (3). This course is intended for learners who have already acquired Kiswahili proficiency in 401 and 402. It increases communicative proficiency and language learning ability as well as proficiency in cultures of the Swahili-speaking people.

From here:

http://africa.unc.edu/languages/swahili_info/swahili_main.asp

Couple things…. This class requires a pretext of proficiency or proof of prior completion of Swahili 401 and 402. So these athletes must have also taken 2 prior classes, had Swahili offered at their high school, or exceptions were made for them to get in. If no post entry tests were given, I’m sure there were no proficiency pretests.

Further, I know of no high school that teaches Swahili outside of the continent of Africa.

the_phisherman
    Participant

On a side note, I always wondered why you would need to advertise “The MBA you probably can’t get into”

highstick
    Participant

GAwolf, it is my understanding from a person who speaks fluent Kiswahili that if you don’t know the word, you just use the english word and add “illi” or maybe “ili”.

So “whenili Iili arrovedilli inilli Chapelili Hillili theyilli gaveili meili aili footballili”.

Didn’t take long to figure that one out..

One of my clients spends about 1/3 of the year in Tanzania.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

phisherman – sort of like

“Swahili – The Language you probably won’t learn”

packalum44
    Participant

^ Its not even that hard to get into their MBA program. There are 20-25 higher ranked MBAs and ranking is EVERYTHING in MBA programs.

newt
    Participant

You forgot assistant basketball coach Jackie Manuel.

Also “friend of the david glenn program” Jawad Williams

And others.

It’s bad when Kentucky is making a laughing stock of your academics…

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=48&f=1030&t=8983034&p=1

Before AA studies it was communications.

These issues are why graduation rates are a really poor measure of doing the job academically with your athletics programs. Schools that are dishonest and work the system will simply pump out graduates without doing the work while schools that are honest and care will suffer because they have some minimum standard that athletes must actually meet to pass.

GAWolf
    Keymaster

Oh communications is back now that the AA Studies gig is up.

NCSU88
    Participant

The Recreation and Leisure Studies courses always got me laughing.

packbackr04
    Participant

Any reason these threads came BTT? SFN know something we don’t?

old13
    Participant
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.