Tyler Lewis' \Next Stop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tyler Lewis' \Next Stop

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

When I say stop, I don’t mean defensive stop, but rather his next destination. Anyone who is at the games sitting near the bench, and probably on TV as well, can easily see Tyler has checked out. A wall has been built between Lewis and Gottfried, and no amount of kumbaya is going to beak down that wall. In the Pitt game, Gott had to tell Tyler to get his ass on the court towards the end when Tyler initially balked at going in for mop up duty.

Anyway, my guess is UNC Charlotte. He is from that area, his brother played for them, and their point guard will be a senior while Tyler is sitting out. I think that will be a much better fit for him.

EasternWakeWolf
    Participant

I really like TL, but I agree that he has checked out. His Dad seems to be involved way too much. Playing time is earned and AB has been better on the floor than TL. Plus, when TL is in, the other team knows he’s not a threat to score, so we’re automatically a man down.

Wulfpack
    Participant

He ain’t the same, that is for sure.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I don’t know TL or any of his friends or family. Everything I say that follows is based on what I’ve seen from basketball players in the past 10-15 years.

I said three weeks ago if TL continues to see <10 mpg, he would leave. McD’s AA’s don’t go to NCSU to ride the pine. That’s not an indictment on the coach or the player, but more on the people who are in the player’s ear. Players need someone (or multiple people) around them to keep them grounded. At some point, Dad, Mom, Brother, Uncle, someone needs to kick the boy in the pant’s seat.

With proper work ethic, TL could be a very serviceable PG as a jr/sr.

Generally I don’t have a problem with transfers, in fact I hate that transfers have to sit out a year when there is a coaching change. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out how either party had planned and it’s ok to move on.

Oh, and I hope our speculation on TL’s transfer is completely unfounded and he doesn’t transfer, but I do think it’s ok to discuss the possibility.

Gowolves
    Participant

He seems so tentative and unsure. One time in the first half against Pitt he got the ball on the wing. They were playing against a zone. He had beaten the guy infront of him. Had kinda of hooked on the play but there was no call. He could have continued to the basket and drwan a defender and dumped the ball off to Washington I think. He instead being unsure if he had beaten the guy he backed it out and swung the ball around the zone again. I think Cat and TL were in at the saem time.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I was really, really hoping that we might wait until the end of the season to start this thread….
    It’s not that this topic is not of legitimate concern… for it most certainly is.

It’s that this Sh%t is contagious…..

Remember a couple weeks and games ago… when the VANDWAGON was rolling at full steam???
    How many times during those couple of weeks did somebody comment that Tyler was Vandy’s new best friend on the court and how they both helped each other??

Ya’ll can fill in the rest of the blanks on that on your own.

Just suffice it to say… that….

This same Sh%t is going on in most every Major D1 bball program across the country… one might suggest the “bigger” the program the worse the Sh%t is….

Dook
    UNx
    Kentucky
    da ‘Ville
    Indiana

and others… they all got the same Sh%t… and the Sh$t ain’t going away…

because this is what Coaching is all about these days… it certainly ain’t Xs && Os….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redisgood
    Participant

I know what you are saying Bill. I did think long and hard about posting something like this. I guess my frustration with the situation finally got the best of me. I think we could be a decent team, but we really need a solid contribution from Lewis.

Texpack
    Participant

I started talking about this several weeks ago. In today’s college basketball, nobody with his pedigree sits on the bench to play 8 minutes a game, even if it’s deserved. Hopefully Gott can get him rolling and we’ll see a new TL before the season is over but I think there’s only a 2% chance that happens.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I was SO hoping that this situation was going to work itself out and Tyler was going to be the perfect reserve off the bench and develop into the kind of contributor that differentiates between a 25+ win team and a 20 win team in his junior and senior seasons. Unfortunately, I agree with y’alls observations that this looks to be an inevitable situation.

What I was concerned about this year was that TL would deliver a solid year but still transfer because his projected playing time when Trevor Lacey becomes eligible next year looks limited. That would have sucked for us. But, what has actually happened is that the kid is playing so poorly and is so disengaged that its going to be hard for most fans to miss him very much. Hell, go recruit a JUCO with that scholarship that provides something that we need (3 point shooting? more height in the backcourt? whatever it is).

Lewis’ attitude and performance certainly isn’t doing himself any favors. I really hope he turns it around!! He could be such a difference maker for us if we could get the TL that delivered when called upon last year.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I agree with everyone on board here so far…. really wish the best for Tyler in RED.

But… here’s what really bothering me….

last year the ‘head cases’ were CJ and Lo
    two years before that… I think… was Ryan Harrow’s last season.

over on the Hill … Uncle Roy has had LittleMac, PJ, LDII and the Ware bros and a few others in recent years….

over in Durham… according to my friends from Duke….Coach K sacrificed a shot at a National Championship a couple seasons ago by starting a known one-and-doner (who had been sitting for months due to a toe injury ) in the Championship game and totally blew his Senior leader and the backbone of that year’s team Nolan Smith OFF… if the freshman sits and Smith plays well in that game — Duke gets the rings.

over in Winston… our 6’11” local HS superstar of a few years back — who everybody said was automatic to the NBA — matriculated. He stayed up there five years, got kicked off the team a couple of times after the coaching change and is now back in town playing on the blacktop, I think.

so Tyler does whatever Tyler is going to do after the end of the season….

As SF alluded…. you heard it here first… NUMBER ONE on next season’s Head Case Watchlist is Mr. Cat… who ain’t going to like being “challenged” by Mr. Lacey.

The point is…. I’m turning into a Head Case because all these other Head Cases are keeping me from watching the quality of basketball I have become accustomed to enjoying for the last fifty plus years…. and there is no sign that anything is going to change for the better.

And if the truth were told, I’m not the only one here at SFN who thinks and feels that way.

There just ain’t a whole lot of “Tobacco” on Tobacco Road anymore.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Lacy will play the 2G and Cat will start at PG. DezLee probably shifts to the wing if TJ Warren goes pro.

Virginia Wolf
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear this. I like TL and wish he could keep a good attitude even if he transfers. He could really be a “Little Big Man” if he gets the attitude straightened out.

tjfoose1
    Participant

if TJ Warren goes pro

You mean there’s a chance he might not?

redcanine
    Participant

He’s going to UCONN because he wants to be a point guard.

BJD95
    Keymaster

WBS started the season as the starter, and played/sulked his way into being a little-used reserve. He can hardly say he wasn’t given a fair shake.

Cat is better on D, better distributing the basketball, better midrange shooter, and…significantly higher BBIQ.

Game, set, match.

primacyone
    Participant

Wichita State. I know, it’s a Shocker!

packalum44
    Participant

The funny thing is, outside of Zo, Tyler is better than any PG we’ve had since Atsur, and IMO has a much higher ceiling considering Atsur shot 3s and passed the ball in weave/heave system…put it this way, no team with serious ambitions was jealous of Atsur.

Tyler is a good PG who just happened to have bad luck b/c Gott signed an athletic freak of nature. Cat is only here 2 years at most. I think he could be an NBA pick after this year b/c his upside screams NBA All Star. He’s a steal in the 2nd round if teams are silly enough to let him slip that far. His ball handling and quickness can’t be taught. Gott told me he’s better than Mo Williams who’s made over 100 million so far.

Anyway I agree Tyler transfers but he’s silly to do so b/c he’s the starter his senior year at State with what could be a talented and deep team. If he leaves we are screwed we have no other PGs. Lacey is a 2 guard and Des is a backup 2 guard next year or inserted at 3 for small ball line up.

Seems we will be perpetually understaffed with Gott, though I can’t complain b/c at least he gets pro talent signed. We have 1 alum in NBA right now. Sad.

pakfanistan
    Participant

2 – Hickson, Brown

Also, we OWN the d-league at the moment…..for whatever it’s worth.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Lewis acquitted himself last year fairly well in sparing play, and when forced into action when Brown went down. He did so because he had four guys around him that could score the basketball at anytime. Other teams also tried to pressure him, a mistake, because ball handling and passing are his strengths. Penetrating, shooting, and defense are weaknesses.

This year’s a different story. Aside from Buckets, we struggle to score in the half-court. Lewis doesn’t have the luxury of running set plays and distributing the ball. We actually need someone to create, find the gaps in a zone, or breakdown man defenders. HE CANNOT DO IT against your typical ACC guard. Not yet at least. Wish the kid all the luck and success in the world, and I hope it’s for two more years in red and white, but his high school accolades and AAU time was much overblown. Having bumped into him at the grocery store, he’s very, very, small, and isn’t particularly quick or fast. Without a great jumpshot to keep defenders honest, people have figured out you can just back off him, and he’s not going to beat you off the dribble.

Gowolves
    Participant

Whiteshoes67, Were you able to beat him to the fruit loops?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Great post, Whiteshoes. I see it similarly. Lost confidence is a difficult thing to regain when opportunities are limited. Cat is simply better.

redcanine
    Participant

So is he still kicking the can down the road or what? Just a-tweetin’ and a-kickin’.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^Gowolves, glad someone caught that sentence. I was in fact. Not fruit loops, though. It was the Harris Teeter at Cameron Village, so it was probably the aisle with all the eye candy.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

There are things that are better left unsaid, and this is one of them. You can think it, we are all thinking it, but why in the holy hell would you post it? There is nothing to be gained by talking about this right now. There is a long time left in this season, and we are one second away from needing Tyler 100%. These kinds of things can turn into self-fulfilling prophecies. I disagree with most of you regarding Tyler’s contributions to this point, as well as his demeanor. Tyler is a different player than Cat in every respect. If you expect him to do what Cat does, then you will be disappointed. He knows the offense, doesn’t turn the ball over, and is capable of incredible passes. And don’t be too quick to judge his demeanor. He had a tweet of a song lyric that a bunch of over the hill guys took way too seriously. Last game, when we were trying to chip our way back, Turner pulled up for an open three, and Tyler was the first person off the bench with his hands in the air. I believe that he is not pleased about his lost playing time, but that doesn’t mean he is any less of a team player because of it. Yes, it is dangerous with these kids and their parents/handlers when it comes to these issues, and many times these people have more control over these things than they should. But we, the Wolfpack faithful don’t need to fan the flames. There will be PLENTY of time to talk of these sorts of these things, but in the middle of the damn season is not one of them.

lush
    Participant

^ yep

On a related note, buckets only had 17 tonight, he’s not ready for the NBA

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.