State beats Clemson 66-61

Home Forums All StateFansNation State beats Clemson 66-61

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

tau

On offense (from statsheet.com)
    NCSU is 262 in the nation in assists per game 13th in the ACC
    140th in the nation in FG% 9th in the ACC
    effective FG% we are 158 in the nation 9th in the ACC
    efficiency we are 108 in nation and 6th in the ACC

MP
    Participant

^^ I’m gonna join in the fun and nitpick and re-state my question.

What odds would you place on individual player(s) transferring out, so we can meaningfully discuss the impact?

TheCOWDOG

Ya know when Cat struggles for assists?

Look no further than the decisions of #1, not withstanding the hands of the bigs as Beej points out.

Speaking of bigs Freeman has set the tone of late and did so again last night.

Rick
    Keymaster

^^ I’m gonna join in the fun and nitpick and re-state my question.

What odds would you place on individual player(s) transferring out, so we can meaningfully discuss the impact?

How is that even possible? I saw you ask this before. You used Lacey as an example and said 0%. Has he already graduated? If so he could transfer and not even sit.

Rick
    Keymaster

Look no further than the decisions of #1, not withstanding the hands of the bigs as Beej points out.

Freeman is playing great.
    IMO Cat’s and Abu’s offensive improvement has allowed Gott to play Freeman. And that has paid big diviends defensively.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Agree w/ Mr. Dog. I think both Barber and Lacey are team first players, but Lacey’s decision making goes askew at times. ‘Too much talent is a burden’ syndrome – he knows he can hit the iso shots, so he relies on them when the offense doesn’t materialize. The real issue, imo, is when Lacey starts settling for those iso jumpers in lieu of other decisions or letting Cat drive and dish. It played out over and over in last night’s game.

I’ve stated before that I believe Cat is an incredibly unselfish player. Earlier in the season he was attempting to “run the offense” as opposed to doing what he can do best. That’s very unselfish for player with Cat’s toolset – to attempt to set up his teammates in lieu of ‘I know I can drive in for a layup’. It just unfortunately manifested into mostly being a series of contested Turner 3’s. Part of that is our bigs’ inefficiency / inability to truly maximize the high post. Freeman is the only one who facilitates it effectively, and you can’t blame Cat for that. The assists will come, it’s just not always going to be pretty when relying mostly on getting assists on perimeter jumpers.

Also imo, enough good things cannot be stated about Freeman. 4-1 since inserted back into the starting line-up. Obvious improvements in both team defense and offense. He’s also a workman-like rebounder. Damn his stats – this kid gels our team on the floor. Defensive switching and positioning are phenomenal. Always sets proper screens on offense, is almost always in the right place at the right time. It’s a true joy to watch him work.

xphoenix87

I’ve been one complaining very vocally about Gott’s defensive performance over the past 3 seasons, and I’ve been just as vocal about praising the defensive work this team has done over the last 6 games (Boston College notwithstanding). The defense right now sits at 87th in the nation over the course of the season (according to KenPom). It was substantially worse than that before the Virginia game. Even early in the season when Freeman was playing more, the defense was hugely problematic. Pre-Virginia, I believe we were ranked more in the 120 range (which would be in line with the last two seasons). Since that Virginia game, the improvement has been massive, not just in the numbers but in the eye test as well. There have been scheme changes (we’re defending on-ball screens much more aggressively now), personnel changes (Freeman over Washington) and an overall improvement in defensive energy. It’s been very impressive and hugely encouraging to see.

That said, the verdict is still out on whether this is sustainable. 5 excellent defensive games is nice, but it’s not proof that we can expect this level of play going forward. We have a much bigger sample that says defense is a problem with this team and with this coaching staff. It takes work to create a culture that prizes defense. These last couple weeks have been a great step, but I want to see a full season of this kind of defense.

Also, the offense is fine. We’ve played a stretch of very good defenses (Clemson, UNC, UVA and Louisville are all top 40 defenses, UVA and Louisville are top 10), so of course we look worse than we did earlier in the season. That’s what happens when you play good defenses. Cat Barber is playing much better basketball and making much better decisions, and I actually think our offense is better without Washington in the lineup. We’re still very good on that side of the ball.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I actually think our offense is better without Washington in the lineup.

I love the guy, but it is πŸ™

Wufpacker
    Participant

I don’t get all the KW ‘hate’.

He’s imperfect, yes. But appreciably more so that our other bigs? I’m not seeing it, but obviously I’m missing something since he’s parking on the pine lately.

ncsu1987
    Participant

IMO it’s all about match-ups. KW will be needed against the ‘Cuse zone, so I expect to see more minutes. Somebody will have to pop to the middle and be able to hit that mid-range jumper to collapse the zone away from our shooters. KW is at his best (whether he thinks so or not) at exactly that.

Count me in the club who think that our offense goes as #1 goes.

Tau837
    Participant

I like all of our players, including KW. But:

– He seems to be the worst defender of our bigs. I’m basing this on watching games, not advanced metrics, not sure if anyone can substantiate this.

– He does not make up for that with offense. Fans seem to think he is a good offensive player because he has good range for a big, but he is shooting .446 on 2 point shots this season because his shot selection is poor. And he is the worst offensive rebounder of our bigs and has an abysmal free throw rate since he doesn’t take the ball inside.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

To me, it’s KW/AoD’s decision making and undisciplined play. I truly believe the guy could round himself into an All-ACC type player – he has the tools. His aggression seems to always get the better of him. He gets out of position going for a blocked shot against dribble penetration every. single. time. It has cost us about 10 billion offensive rebounds given up this season. Then there’s his penchant to immediately shoot – no matter where he is – on offense. Score, time, possession – nothing matters, just jack it up.

That said, he was great against Syracuse last season, as 1987 notes. He’s also had some really good moments this season.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Going off topic – the Pack ladies are up 3 on VT late in the 2nd half … Opening round of the women’s tournament, Pack the #10 seed.

It’s on Fox Sports regional for anyone interested in keeping up

ncsu1987
    Participant

Then there’s his penchant to immediately shoot – no matter where he is – on offense. Score, time, possession – nothing matters, just jack it up.

There is this. Apparently, I had created a mental block, erasing a huge trove of painful memories from my little brain. Thanks for dredging that back up….

We’ll need aggressive but patient KW; hope he’s the one who shows…

MP
    Participant

How is that even possible?

Let me rephrase the question. Your point seems to be: “Someone is going to transfer”. Let’s say that is true – I would argue that if “someone” is (a) the 10th guy on the bench, or (b) the [imaginary] guy with a bad attitude; that is much different than if “someone” is Cat Barber.

I used Lacey as a somewhat lighthearted example at “0%” because I don’t think he is going to transfer. But sure, he could transfer by the graduate route if he is that far along.

So maybe my real question is: Do you hear or suspect that a particular player is going to transfer? And if so, is it someone that will make us all say “OH *$&^”? Because otherwise “Someone is going to transfer” is sort of an empty statement.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Pack ladies lose on a last second VT jumper πŸ™

Wulfpack
    Participant

Disappointing season.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I ain’t GOTT time to do this right so here’s the short version…

OUR DEFENSE is BETTER NOW THAN AT ANY POINT PREVIOUS THIS SEASON…

Why… because it is…
    and averages SUCK…

Here’s the one thing NONE of the stats show us…

There are three seasons in a season …
    Nov- Jan2
    Jan2 – Feb1
    Feb2 – ACC Tournament…

OK… ya’ll GOTT that?

Now… everybody’s players are developing/improving on both ends of the court…
    and everybody’s TEAM is playing more together at the end of the season than at the beginning..
    (except Louisville)…

Then in the Feb sub season… you’re playing Teams in the conference that for the most part you have already played one time…
    so everybody knows everybody else better…

Lacey had a great first half of the season… but nobody, except us, knew what Lacey could do and he was off the radar with opposing coaches so to speak… Since Feb2… Lacey has not surprised anybody… every opposing coach is thinking the way to beat State is shut Lacey down… so they adjust… and Lacey’s numbers come down…

It’s that simple… a whole season average does not tell us anything in this regard…

For the stat guys… There are three dynamic curves working at the same time more or less independent one of the other…
    1. Player Development
    2. Team Development
    3. Coach’s game adjustments…

Work those into your stats and get back to me… with average Defense efficiency for each of three sub seasons.

OR if you are lazy … do this…

Create a dynamic rating factor that indexes three variables…
    1. The Opponents Win/Loss record the morning of each game…
    2. The number of field goals our defense allowed during the game..
    3. The number of times the opponent scored three goals in a row without us scoring…

Put that on a graph and post it…

thanks…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wolfanatic
    Participant

I agree with Wufpacker, I’m not sure why all the KW negativity here. I think he has improved much from last year. Last year he averaged 19.9 min pg. This year he’s at 20.2 Last year his FG% was .435, FT% was .563 and he averaged 3.9 rebs per game and 4.8 pts per game. This year his FG% is slightly improved to .449, his FT% has jumped to .714 and he averages 4.7 boards (second only to Lennard) and 7.4 points, making him our 4th highest scorer. I agree that sometimes he’s given to making up his mind that he’s shooting no matter what, and that can be frustrating to all, but some days those left hooks and 15 footers are falling for him, and he’s quite the asset. None of our other bigs can contribute offensively like KW can. I’d absolutely hate to see him transfer, as I see him becoming a big time ACC player over the next two years.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Oh, I’d definitely hate to lose Kyle. I hate to classify it as ‘negativity’, but maybe it is … I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a critical analysis though.

Kyle is 2nd on the team in rebounding average, but this is extremely misleading imo. How many times has his being out of position cost the team a defensive rebound and subsequent score by the opponent? Almost all of his defensive rebounds come from opponent jumpers where Kyle’s only choice on the play is to box out his man and get the rebound; or his sheer athleticism lets him go up and get the ball on a scramble play. If he has any other choice but to box out he ‘chooses’ to be out of position almost every time.

His being 2nd in total rebounding average is more suggestive that he could lead the team in overall rebounding if he simply played smarter and with a modicum of discipline.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Jerry Palm: If [the Wolfpack] can avoid another downhill ride, the Wolfpack should hear their name on selection Sunday.

I’ll take that as meaning two consecutive losses.

I like our chances on Saturday. It’s at home, and one that we match up well with. I predict all hands will be on board, too.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Oh, and Lunardi has us as a 9-seed playing Miss. State.

McCallum
    Participant

Was there, walked through the front door at 1:10 AM.

Fouling with the lead was something else.

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

BJD95
    Keymaster

Damned shame about the Pack women.

I would suspect most of the defensive improvement relates to tweaks in the PT rotation – ie, more of it for KH and Frenchie. They are each A-/B+ defenders. Cat is an A/A+.

When he gets jobbed out of ACC DPOY, I am going to be furious.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Loyola Marymount 30 for 30 on ESPN Classic, just fyi.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.