SNOW

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    nav
    Participant

For those of you that don’t follow Allan Huffman (Master’s from State in Meteorology) on Twitter, and that means most of you, here is his latest snowfall map for tomorrow. The guy knows his stuff and is about as good at predicting as you’ll find.

Snow fall forecast Tues 29-30

Link in case the pic above does not work: https://twitter.com/RaleighWx/status/427857778384711682/photo/1

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

54F today at lunch in Central VA. Down to about 10F tonight and we won’t be back above freezing until Thursday.

I keep hoping that global warming will eventually reach here.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

No problem !
    Just another day at the beach….
    Let it snow…..

The BEER is cold…. come on down and we can discuss ’roundball’ or whatever!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    SqlWolf
    Participant

54F today at lunch in Central VA. Down to about 10F tonight and we won’t be back above freezing until Thursday.

I keep hoping that global warming will eventually reach here.

I do hope you realize that “Global Warming”/”Climate Change” is not a good indicator for what happens locally and on relatively short timescales such as a day, week or even a year. One of my pet peeves is the complete lack of understanding that most people have regarding the scientific method and how generally ignorant people are about climate versus weather.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

It’s time to replace the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

TruthBKnown Returns
    Participant

I believe in climate change. It is winter. Soon it will be spring, then summer, then fall, and if all goes as expected, it will then change once again to winter.

SqlWolf
    Participant

It’s time to replace the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

Pardon me, VaWolf. I am usually not good at detecting sarcasm in print form. General stupidity referring to assertions based on well regarded science gets me riled up.

I do plan to enjoy what little snow we may get in the next day or so here in the Triangle area.

LRM
    Keymaster

Hey nav, pretty cool.

I’m an avid skier so over the years I’ve become more interested in reading about all the effects that create the snow storms out West. I think I’ve even learned a little along the way. What’s most fascinating — beyond the science itself — is how varied all the different models can be, and how few “experts” end up getting it right.

If I had it to do over, I’d have majored in something to make me qualified to study avalanches in the winter and chase tornadoes in the spring.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Pardon me, VaWolf.

No problems. If we (ie Central VA) got half of the accumulation that was forecasted here, we would be waist deep every winter. I haven’t shoveled my driveway since my oldest was in kindergarten when we got 2 feet in 48 hours. BTW, he graduated college last spring.

tjfoose1
    Participant

pakfanistan
    Participant

Climate Change

tjfoose1
    Participant

tjfoose1
    Participant

tjfoose1
    Participant

Temperatures and climate are cyclical. Technically, we are still in an ice age. Warming should be expected, though temperatures have leveled off since around the turn of the century. Question is, is it anthropomorphic? Man has some influence, but how much?

Mars experienced warming on a similar scale in the 90’s. The Romans grew grapes and made wine in England. Erik the Red named Greenland, “Greenland”, because it was green.

The cycles of the sun have more to do with the average temperatures on earth than anything else.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Who bringin’ tha snow? LD, you KNOW who bringin’ tha snow:

pakfanistan
    Participant
    Wufpacker
    Participant

pakfanistan
    Participant

That’s Japan, not Canada.

TheCOWDOG

Snow? ??

Nooo…Gave that sh*t up a long time ago.

So, last week my ol’ home town was supposed to get whacked by some famous lake effect. Didn’t happen ’cause Erie was frozen over from shore to shore.

Thanks Nav. I used to have that dude’s site. I’ll take better care this time.

Wufpacker
    Participant

That’s Japan, not Canada.

I’m speakless.

SqlWolf
    Participant

Various school systems across NC have already announced they are closed prior to a single flake falling. This can be taken as either an extreme example of chicken little syndrome or a testament to the ever greater accuracy of meteorological forecasting. I am not sure which is right.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

SQL, my theory is that they are reducing their liability exposure. If someone’s precious little snowflake (pardon the pun) gets hurt because of a bus accident on ice or snow, you can bet the lawyer fees win or lose would be substantial.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Here are 12 screen-captures from when News 14 got rolled by the fake snow-closing notices.

I wonder if Col Angus’s Chicken is still open…lol

http://imgur.com/a/gYCz8

YogiNC
    Participant

There’s some really funny ones in there Alpha, thanks for sharing.

Smarter than the average bear

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.