Is Dave Doeren a Real Candidate for the Kansas Job?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Is Dave Doeren a Real Candidate for the Kansas Job?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

“PLEASE REMEMBER – success is often two steps forward, one step back. We are still young, thin, and outgunned at many positions. This staff has recruited and motivated very well, and came up with a gameplan that was genius for FSU. That does NOT mean Saturday was/is our new baseline performance level. It’s our “best case scenario” and will NOT be a poor reflection on the staff that we can’t play that way every week.”

^Preach the logic (even while concussed – sorry to hear that).

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Jim Harbaugh will be the next coach at Michigan.

Our defense is atrocious but I give the whole game plan A+++++++. We never let them beat us deep and made them play small ball the entire game. Minus 3 guys (maybe 4), no one on our defense would start or see significant playing time at the top tier schools in the conference. Offensively we had them on their heels. The will of Jacoby and Shadrach was unquestionable. Everyone played as if they belonged on the field Saturday with FSU and by God they almost pulled it out. I’m hoping they show up at Clemson with the same intensity and guts, and win or lose, I’ll be damn proud.

triadwolf
    Participant

I am one before the season that would have considered 5-6 wins good progress and a bowl appearance a touchdown. After watching the team to date I have trouble not seeing this team win at least 7. My simple reasoning on this is that I think our offense is going to win us more games than our defense will lose from this point forward.

As more game tape gets reviewed the 40+ point games may not continue, but I just don’t see teams holding us below 30 unless NC State S#%@ creeps up and bites us square in the A$$.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I told a buddy right before the game I thought we’d put up 30+ but we’d be lucky to hold FSU under 50. Not a fan of defensive schemes so far in year 2, and I recognize there’s a dearth of depth and talent. I just don’t think we play to strengths. The 3rd and long conversion rate is especially perplexing.

Greywolf
    Participant

I just don’t think we play to strengths.

We graduated a few seniors and added a few freshmen to last year’s 3-9 team. Just what strengths are there that you don’t think we play to?

13OT
    Participant

There is a LOT of football remaining in this season. Before we canonize or crufify Doeren, we need to see how the next 5 games pan out.

I seriously doubt Michigan will be looking for another mid-major coach, which would probably rule out Doeren since he’s coached more games at Northern Illinois than he has here so far. The only two coaches who should be on the UM radar are named Harbaugh and Miles.

As far as Kansas goes, I can’t imagine any sane coach who would want the KU job after national coach of the year Mark Mangino’s ouster following an 8-game losing streak. That would be like Duke firing Coach Cut if the Devils failed to win again this season. KU has had AD problems plus it has Jayhawk basketball to contend with- not a happy football environment if you ask me. I would be shocked speechless if Doeren went there, no matter what happens the rest of this season.

And if for some reason Doeren does leave NCSU, I hope to goodness Charlie Weis isn’t the replacement!

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I’m not convinced zone coverage is suited for this group. Corners are respectable but safeties and rover or nickle back don’t seem to have the recovery speed and seem confused. if it were me, I’d risk giving up big ones–we already give up plenty of 20+ plays–and put our big corners up close, bump, and bring more pressure. Force them the QB’s to make quick decisions. Don’t think we’d do any worse, and possibly better.

Greywolf
    Participant

I’m not convinced zone coverage is suited for this group.

I’m not sure we are in zone coverage but if we are it’s because we can’t hang with FSU’s receivers in man coverage.

if it were me, I’d risk giving up big ones–we already give up plenty of 20+ plays–and put our big corners up close, bump, and bring more pressure. Force them the QB’s to make quick decisions.

Call Doeren. I’m sure he would like to know how to bring more pressure and how you would force Winston to make quick decisions.

You are right about one thing for sure. We would give up big ones.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Our defensive options can also be viewed fairly as deck chairs on the Titanic. And shit, we held a powerful offense at bay for one half of football. That was damned near a miracle.

We don’t have as good defensive personnel as the Holes, and they are getting significantly worse results.

Right now, and probably next season too…the best defense will truly be a good offense. And I hope we don’t have kicker trouble next year. Can’t afford to leaves points on the table.

packplantpath
    Participant

It seems human nature is geared to vindicate original assessments as opposed to applying Bayesian logic – i.e., use new information to continually update opinions.

I went from Good Hire – to Questionable Hire – to Even More Questionable Hire – to Maybe a Good Hire.

Hindsight Bias abounds on this thread.

I think Matt Canada has shown tremendous and consistent ability in his play calling. Even last year I was optimistic about the offensive play calling but the execution just wasn’t there (no QB).

DD still has question marks and is far from certain the next Mack Brown. Time will tell, but one thing is certain, I will update my thinking based on new information.

Our defense is incredibly atrocious though in large part due to a lack of talent. I think if DD continues to recruit well (this class is blah on paper) and trends upwards, the sky is the limit for a good coach. I hope he is a significantly better than average coach b/c we are nowhere near close to having Clemson or Fl State talent. We will have to out-scheme and out-coach the 2 best coaching staffs int he ACC.

I suggest you reduce your sampling rate and add a first season burn-in for your analysis. Otherwise you look schizophrenic.

Fastback68
    Participant

Yow, start a fund now to keep DD and his hard working staff here for the next 20 years or more. This management team is the real deal. Come on down recruits before there are no more spaces available in 2015.

tractor57
    Participant

To the point I am sure DY will (and is) plann(ing) for the day coach D and his staff are tempted. I’m not 100% sure coach is the real deal but he is making a difference. I’m firmly in his camp for the next few years after than we shall see.

tjfoose1
    Participant

we are nowhere near close to having Clemson or Fl State talent. We will have to out-scheme and out-coach the 2 best coaching staffs int he ACC.

That’s questionable. Certainly those programs currently have the best talent, but coaching STAFFS, I’m not so sure.

Put those 2 staffs at any number of other conference schools and they don’t look so shiny.

I’d take Duke’s or NC State’s over Clemson’s a heartbeat. Probably a number of other staffs too.

Pack85EE
    Participant

I expect the Defense to get better this year because of youth.
    Two touchdowns on Toto Tocho were just inches from being deflected. My thought is next year they are knocked down, maybe even by the end of this year. I’m tired by all of the criticism of the DC. The youngest players are on defense.

But…. I just hope we come to play the rest of the year like we did Saturday. Last year was not the case. Here’s to staying healthy and focused.

Greywolf
    Participant

I just don’t see teams holding us below 30 unless NC State S#%@ creeps up and bites us square in the A$$.

Can we grow up and put our big-boy pants on? That wasn’t “FSU S#%@” that put 24 points on them in the 1st Qtr. That was Jacoby Brissett and friends. When it happens to us, it won’t be NC State S#%@ either. Sorry if this offends you but this “Poor us, we have NC State S#%@ happen” has about run its course. Let’s leave it with the Carowhiners.

Zaphod
    Participant

Sorry I hadn’t posted full thoughts sooner, but I concussed myself over the weekend (in true Kosmo Kramer style) and have been scrambly in the brain.

What’s the matter? Brady Hoke put you back in the game too early? 🙂

Sorry, BJD, I just couldn’t resist!

BJD95
    Keymaster

LMAO, if I cared about my teammates, I would have shaken off the trainer and stayed in the game!

Coming back to bed from a late night pee, I slammed (at decent speed, for no good reason other than liking sleep) into the doorjamb, right between the eyes.

Still kinda foggy and even stupider than usual. More than a bit tired of the 4-day headache, though it’s receding.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Do we need to chip in and buy you a big boy nighty-night safety helmet?

AsheWolf
    Participant

DEPENDS.

tjfoose1
    Participant

“Coming back to bed from a late night pee, I slammed (at
    decent speed, for no good reason other than liking sleep) into the doorjamb, right between the eyes.”

You know that’s not your fault, right? You need to sue someone.

BJD95
    Keymaster

If only I could sue myself (or my bladder), Foose. I have USAA insurance, so in that sense I guess I’m a deep pocket!

tjfoose1
    Participant

A fellow USAA’er right here.

YogiNC
    Participant

Same here!

Smarter than the average bear

triadwolf
    Participant

Grey – I get your point. But when I’m talking NC State S@#t, I’m not talking about unlucky bounces of the ball, reffing conspiracies, wacky voodoo crap; I’m referring to our propensity to acquire injuries in areas we can least afford to.

Injuries happen every weekend in football and to every team, but it seems State has a real history in this dept. Just last year we had maybe 3 or 4 legit skill players that were a real threat on the field for offense and I think every single one missed significant time. This year the linebacker position was one of the areas we really couldn’t afford an injury and it happens early in camp. Now Fernandez has done a heck of a job filling in, but it doesn’t change what happened. We just appear to get more than our fair share of such occurrences.

The offense is well balanced, we’ve got quality depth at receiver (although young), we’ve got 3, maybe 4, solid running backs, an exceptional QB, and an outstanding offensive line. All I’m saying is the only thing I see stopping the offense will be injuries to key positions with no depth.

Perhaps I shouldn’t use the phrase NC State S@$t; not meant as a whine, merely an observation based on history.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m referring to our propensity to acquire injuries in areas we can least afford to.

Pretty sure that was related to crappy S & C.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.