FSU vs NC State; Post Game Thoughts

Home Forums All StateFansNation FSU vs NC State; Post Game Thoughts

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

I really liked the play called when Leatham took over for JB for one play.

Same here. I was wondering what they were going to do. Loved it. They let Apex go for it, but kept it safe. The fade to the corner, minimal risk with high chance for reward. Love these coaches. Even the little things tell me why.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Adventuroo, I also checked the polls just for fun. Certainly not expecting to see the Pack in the Top 25 or anything, but wondered if they’d earned any respect in the votes department (1 vote in the AP). Was most entertained by the USA Today Coaches [Interns] Poll which is officially (on the USA Today site) the Amway Coaches Poll (not even kidding). FSU flipped with Alabama. And there are still 7 people who think UNC deserves Top 25 votes. Dark horses die hard; especially when they’re light blue.

tjfoose1
    Participant

On a completely different subject, I’m starting to love the way Dravious Wright #8 play football, aside from his coverage skills that is.

He’s a sophomore, listed at 5’10”, 205 lbs. He has buku playmaking ability, but from what I’ve seen thus far, his coverage ability at this level doesn’t appear to come naturally and seems to be holding him back.

That means, to me anyway, the Wolfpack is not maximixing his ability, and thus limiting his contributions and potential.

Given the current personel, he and Buckley must be the best options for the rover position (duh, I know, otherwise someone else would be
    playing).

We don’t seem to have a true hybrid with the right combination of high skill sets right now.

But I think he’s sacrificing for the team and playing out of position. He reminds me a little of Nate Irving.

I’m hoping/guessing/thinking that if recruiting hits the mark, and back fills the rover spot, we might see a bulked up version of #8 at LB season.

Something I’d look at and consider, anyway, if I werevon staff.

Keep that in mind next time #8 (or #6 for that matter) appears to let their man get open. They’re the best we got right now, and they’re giving their best.

Frustrating yes, but you can’t blameva dog for not having wings.

tjfoose1
    Participant

FWIW, cbssports.com has us projected for the Pinstripes bowl vs Minnesota. Having spent a number of years in MN, I would love a matchup against the gophers in NYC.

OTHER BOWL GAMES

Adventuroo
    Participant

Foose,

It would be GOOD to go to a Bowl Game this year. It would be even BETTER to go to one of consequence….in the SOUTH.

Having attended NCSU’s 1963 appearance at the Liberty Bowl a few days before Christmas and endured cold like I have never felt (after 35 years of hunting deer and also having traveled extensively to Duluth during the winters), I sort of soured on Northern Bowls…

But, you never know….On to Death Valley and focus on all the wood chopping we need to do to get to a bowl….

PapaJohn
    Participant

Well said.

Doren has done wonders with this very young group. Didn’t know we were the youngest team in D1.

I think the primary takeaway is, after only 16 games, he got this program to the point that we could throw a scare at one of the best teams in the country. That’s pretty impressive. I look forward to the point at which he’s got a full four years of recruiting under his belt, with his own seniors – we are headed in the right direction. The future looks bright for Pack football.

StateRed44
    Participant

Few more defenders and blockers and we coulda won going away.

modobrew
    Participant

On a completely different subject, I’m starting to love the way Dravious Wright #8 play football, aside from his coverage skills that is.

He’s a sophomore, listed at 5’10?, 205 lbs. He has buku playmaking ability, but from what I’ve seen thus far, his coverage ability at this level doesn’t appear to come naturally and seems to be holding him back.

That means, to me anyway, the Wolfpack is not maximixing his ability, and thus limiting his contributions and potential.

Given the current personel, he and Buckley must be the best options for the rover position (duh, I know, otherwise someone else would be<br>
    playing).

We don’t seem to have a true hybrid with the right combination of high skill sets right now.

But I think he’s sacrificing for the team and playing out of position. He reminds me a little of Nate Irving.

I’m hoping/guessing/thinking that if recruiting hits the mark, and back fills the rover spot, we might see a bulked up version of #8 at LB season.

Something I’d look at and consider, anyway, if I werevon staff.

Keep that in mind next time #8 (or #6 for that matter) appears to let their man get open. They’re the best we got right now, and they’re giving their best.

Frustrating yes, but you can’t blameva dog for not having wings.

Foose,

I think you nailed it on this point. I particularly remember this kid hawking the ball, making great open field tackles. I can definitely see him bulking in the off season and moving over to LB if recruiting goes well. Kid definitely has talent, just needs to be placed in the right spot on the field. I don’t recall him ever taking a play off.

Gowolves
    Participant
    MISTA WOLF
    Participant

If you go down with an injury you shouldn’t be allowed back on the field until the next series. Simple as that. And Jimbo’s comments, I’ll let him slide. At least DD is standing up for his guys unlike some of the other gutless coaches we have had in the past.

YogiNC
    Participant

And if Swoff would dare to even think about a fine I’d have a video tape ready in hand to say “PROVE WHAT I SAID WAS WRONG!!!!!!!” Then I’d tell him “Try and make me pay that fine!”

Smarter than the average bear

13OT
    Participant

I was at the game, and our fans were booing FLORIDA STATE, not the players, because they kept pulling that stunt over and over. Soccer deals with this very differently; if a player goes down (and it’s usually a fake) when the other team is moving the ball, the refs let them play on. In other words, if the defense wants to play a man down for that play, then let them do so.

The NCAA needs to keep the “injured” player out for the entire possession. It’s ridiculous to pull a player out for a play when his helmet comes off, especially if it’s yanked off.

After watching this program for the past 20+ seasons, I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t like the FSU approach to the game of college football. Bad player behavior off the field is of no consequence (as evidenced by Jameis Winston’s presence on the sidelines vs Clemson), and dirty play is ok since they’re better than most all their opponents and can more than make up the penalties on our next play. This “injured player” stuff is simply another tactic from the FSU “Win At All Costs” playbook.

Now we’ve also got Miami football and Big East basketball to deal with in this “new and improved ACC”. It seems that we’ve become our own worst enemy.

packplantpath
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with the fake injuries. If it isn’t against the rules it’s fine and the rules will adapt.

Just look at the basketball rules regarding fouling at the end of a game. I’m sure fans of other teams hated the tactic but it worked. Eventually rules were altered to change the balance of power back to offense.

PackFamily
    Participant

And there are still 7 people who think UNC deserves Top 25 votes.

I saw this and tend to think this is NCSU and that they just left off the “State University” part. We received a similar amount of votes the previous week.

Of course none of this will matter come Saturday. Win and we’re in (the top 25). Lose and we slide back to mediocrity (for now)

tjfoose1
    Participant

If you go down with an injury you shouldn’t be allowed back on the field until the next series. Simple as that. And Jimbo’s comments, I’ll let him slide. At least DD is standing up for his guys unlike some of the other gutless coaches we have had in the past.

Ditto.

I’ll let Jimbo’s comments slide, because he’s defending his program and players. Love that DD does the same.

I don’t think Jimbo ‘coached’ the players to fake the injuries, but I don’t think he actually believes all of those ‘injuries’ were as they were portrayed. Parsing words so he’s not lying, as a technicality, he may also consider being ‘gassed’ as temporary cardiovascular injury – break it down to the cellular level and all that, with cells starving for oxygen, etc.

I like what was suggested the other day, I think by Grey. That is, apply rules similar to what is used in hockey. If the offense is playing up-tempo, and not substituting, and there is a defensive injury, only the injured player can be sub’d out. And he must stay out for the series and/or X amount of plays.

Heck, we now have a replay official… if this crap continues, maybe add a medical official. A doctor who examines the player in such instances. Yeah, I know. Prolly not realistic, but I like the thought.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with the fake injuries. If it isn’t against the rules it’s fine and the rules will adapt.

Faking an injury is against the rules. It falls under the delay of game umbrella. Problem is, as the rules stand now, it can not be proven.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Love the back-and-forth between DD and Jimbo. Stoke it.

Watched DD’s post game presser. The man wasn’t just upset with the loss, he was pissed, and expressively irked with FSU’s tactics. It’s gonna eat at him for a while. Love it.

Quite the contrast this group is giving us.

Greywolf
    Participant

IMNSHO all 5 OL playing every offensive snap was biggest factor in 4th quarter fade. Plus it was our best O lineman, Joe Thuney, who didn’t play (due to illness.) Barr played LG and he isn’t near as mobile as Thuney. Doeren would never throw them or any player under the bus but IMO this is one of the biggest factors in our loss.

On the other side of the coin, our top six OL are doing very well — much better than I expected. Maybe our recruiting will reap some ready to play OL and not so many ‘projects.’ Regardless, Veldtkamp and his staff will continue to develop some bodies with who we have.

packplantpath
    Participant

Faking an injury is against the rules. It falls under the delay of game umbrella. Problem is, as the rules stand now, it can not be proven.

Touche.

But, if the rule is unenforceable, it is as toothless as having no rule. Eventually, if it is deemed a real problem, rules will adapt.

Don’t get me wrong, I want to see the rules changed to force a 3-4 play sit-out period after an “injury” to stop it. But lets be honest, in a game where people gouge eyes, hold every other play, dive on clearly down players after a fumble to try to come up with the ball, and basically push the boundaries of the rules non-stop this seems quite minor on the poor sportsmanship offense front.

Plus, a lot of these “injuries” probably are stress related pains. Lord knows I’ve been in situations (I wrestled in high school, poorly) where fatigue + a hard knock made me think I had an injury but 30-45 seconds of rest and I was fine enough to walk off the mat. Sore, but fine. A bump or bang that in the 1st 2 minutes would hurt but not slow you down will put a tired man on his back. Unfortunately, in wrestling that 30-45 seconds of rest usually came after being pinned on my back due to my fatigue “injury”.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I’m with ya.

packof81
    Participant

“Love the back-and-forth between DD and Jimbo. Stoke it.”

I saw that on TWC news this morning. DD is fired up. How refreshing.

Wulfpack
    Participant

In a statement released on Twitter, Doeren said: “I have apologized to Jimbo Fisher & want to apologize to his staff, players & FSU fans for my comments that took away from a tremendous football game. I left an emotional locker room & took those emotions w/ me to the press conference. It was a great college football game with tremendous plays made by both teams. That is where the focus deserves to be. I have the utmost respect for Jimbo, his staff and players. FSU played a great game and earned the win.”

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11616390

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.