NEW 1/6/14 Business Week: "Why Tar Heel Fraud Might Just Be the Start"

Home Forums All StateFansNation NEW 1/6/14 Business Week: "Why Tar Heel Fraud Might Just Be the Start"

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Sea Wolf
    Participant
    Sea Wolf
    Participant

“In coming weeks and months, I hope I can supplement Dan Kane’s dogged efforts with some long-distance perspective. Valuable tips from concerned local people, some of them UNC alumni, are already pouring in, and that’s part of the reason I’m going to pursue the story. Keep those e-mails coming…”

“One source of insight is Jay Smith, a professor of early modern French history at UNC… Smith has the best sort of self-interested motivation for making sense of what has happened on his campus: He’s writing a book about the whole mess, based in part on statistics and personal experiences proffered by UNC instructors assigned over the years to assist varsity athletes. To me that sounds like a page-turner—and even the basis of an HBO movie…”

redisgood
    Participant

I just read this guy’s bio. In addition to having impeccable credentials, he has no apparent dog in this fight. No one can accuse him of any sort of bias. This could turn into something big.

nav
    Participant

As much as we hope otherwise, I’m sure this will go nowhere. Just like all the other stories about UNC fraud.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Officials have repeatedly denied that the fiasco’s roots trace to an illicit agenda that, in the name of coddling a disproportionately black undergraduate athlete population, has left many students intellectually crippled.

This is a chicken-egg issue that is going to be difficult to trace to a single, root cause. The bottom line question comes down to…..Did Prof ‘Roo create a crippled curriculum for athletes or did it do it for AA students (and quickly discovered by athletic dept academic advisers)? Boblee made this distinction several years ago and AFAIK, UNC has never attempted to answer it.

In a culture where a sizable number of people vote for a living instead of working for one, this won’t be an easy issue to resolve.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Another point….

I’ve seen it reported that the BB team quit taking classes in AA Studies. This brings up several questions:
    – Is the claim true?
    – If it is true, then how did the BB advisors know of the sham classes when no one else claimed to know?

packbackr04
    Participant

It is nice to see some in the national media talking about it. The way i figure it, if enough people are talking about it… its going to be tough for ESPN to ignore it forever isn’t it?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

From the NY Times article:

Handed up by an Orange County, N.C., grand jury, the indictment charged Nyang’oro with “unlawfully, willfully and feloniously” accepting payment “with the intent to cheat and defraud” the university in connection with the AFAM course — a virtually unheard-of legal accusation against a professor.

Here’s another series of questions….
    – If the classes were a sham (and they were), then how many grades were removed from the students transcripts?
    – If the grades are removed from the transcripts, how many athletes that played were actually ineligible for competition under NCAA’s rules for completed credits required for progress towards a degree?
    – Since the university was paid for these bogus classes, how many refunds were issued to the students?

Adventuroo
    Participant

This was commented on the main page. BUT, if you want to read an interesting take, from a UNC Grad who was a BB Manager back in the late 60’s or maybe early 70’s and is fairly well connected within the UNC organization and is on a first name basis with Bubba and many other ACC AD’s, then go here.

http://www.agentpiercesaid.com/Home/January-2014/BusinessWeek-(and-Bernie)-on-UNC-CH-Mess.aspx

BobLeeSays is the “avatar” name for someone who has been opining on the Internet for 15 plus years. He has an alter ego named AgentPierce. His disdain at the Butcher’s hiring was well known throughout the UNC Kingdom. In addition, he is a personal and social friend of the Ex Chancellor Holden Thorp. He said that he had a few one-on-one conversations and expressed his concerns and that the situation played out as he expected, unfortunately.

His column is comic…and I love the wit and humor of NCSU68Grad….one might say we too, are of a LIKE mind.

Everytime I read a piece about this MESS, Hotel Carolina (as in the Eagles Hotel California) pops in my mind…thanks to my wife showing me the “common” themes of each one…

WHAT I will add is that NOTHING is going to be done about….Those of you that bother to read my sometimes prolific posts will recall that the NCAA has a “RESERVE FUND” of almost ONE BILLION DOLLARS. That’s right, 9 zeros. ONE does have to wonder WHY a Non-Profit ORG would have such a booty. Perhaps to pay the prolific salaries of the Czars. Perhaps to hire the Athletes that forget that STUDENT was part of their title. Perhaps to protect itself in a Lawsuit for concussion, advertising royalties or a HOST of OTHER things that the “athletes” seem to give up for a Scholly.

One DOES wonder if that $1,000,000,000 Booty’s earnings could be handed out as a stipend for the REVENUE sports scholly’s….OPPS….the transgender varsity tiddlywinks team members would want a comparable share to Jameius Winston or (fill in the blank).

NOTHING, I fear, will be done. Congress tried to wade in on the PSU PHEW! They found it was NOT headlines or soundbites to improve their reelection chances….something about “Don’t you have HIGHER Priorities”.

Personally, I would endorse ANY member that did that…just to put some heat on them.

Thanks for reading….Stay warm and drink responsibly, my friend(s)

MrPlywood
    Participant

I don’t know about that nav. As we all know, even a book without any real content can haunt a program for decades.

StateFans
    Keymaster

The reporting that Dan Kane started in 2010 is finally garnering some national attention from non-sports outlets. Last week, the The NY Times, and tod
    [See the full post at: BloombergBusinessweek: UNC fraud just the start]

packbackr04
    Participant

Nyangoro and Crowder better be careful. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone ends up face down in a ditch somewhere if this thing starts getting out of hand.

Fastback68
    Participant

I feel like Robert Shaw in the movie Forse 10 from Navarone waiting for the dam to break up. Unfortunately, the explosion went off four years ago. Of course, I never really expected anything of consequence to come from the NCAA or the ACC in terms of punishment but one can hope. Would love to see Swofford at the base of the dam when it actually dissolves.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Wow. Many many damning quotes in that piece. I can honestly say I am surprised that the national media is finally sticking their nose under the tent and actually reporting what they are seeing.

Maybe something will come of this after all.

rlgray
    Participant

Dan Kane gave a 5+ minutes interview on All Things Considered (NPR) today. Broadcast on WUNC I guess. 🙂

It is available online at the NPR webpage.

elvislives
    Participant
    NCSU88
    Participant

Just read the NPR transcript. Dan Kane does not come off as being very articulate. Way too many, “you knows.”

lush
    Participant

New article today on CNN.com but mostly same info

lush
    Participant
    redisgood
    Participant

From the CNN article – of the 183 football and basketball athletes researched who played at UNC between 2004 and 2012, 60% were found to read between the 4th and 8th grade level. 8% to 10% read below a 3rd grade level.

I’m surprised it wasn’t higher.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

A thought about some dots that have not yet been connected by any of these news agencies regarding the creation of the AFAM department:

We need to look back at the collegiate sports, specifically basketball, landscape in 1992-93. You are Dean Smith, and your cross-town rivals have been on a half-decade tear, and have just won back-to-back championships. You haven’t won a title since 1982. What’s a tenured coach, of questionable integrity, to do? Go out quietly, enjoy the twilight of your career and retirement? Or figure out a way to get a competitive advantage, like you have done so many times before? You choose the dirty way. And lo and behold, you win the championship the very next year, with half your team and three of your starting five moved to the new athlete-friendly AFAM department. It’s much easier to recruit good players when academics aren’t a concern. And it’s much easier for those players to concentrate on basketball when you remove the rigors of normal college academics.

This is story that I want written. The information is there for the taking. Some of it freely available, some if may have to be fought for tooth and nail against the considerable legal prowess of the UN* PR team. But the information is there. Connect the dots. Only when someone digs to the root of this corrupt tree will I truly be satisfied. Will that ever happen? I have my doubts. I believe they will do everything in their power to save the myth of Dean, even at the cost of their precious “Carolina Way”. The only hope I have is that their untold arrogance will actually lead to their demise. After all, it is only because of their arrogance that we have even arrived at this point. The only thing we can do is to continue to push the click button on these stories, drive web traffic, leave comments, send emails, and keep adding fuel to this fire.

NCSU88
    Participant

Dean was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. No way anything comes out on his involvement. He is sacred.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

And there was no coincidence about the timing of that medal.

Gowolves
    Participant

Wilmwolf80, I would like to think that was because of the scandal but from what I hear from people in the know is Dean’s health is fading fast. Demntia and other ailments.

I wish this would explode all over again and the NCAA and others would do a proper investigation but I am skeptical. This will all blow over soon.

WTNY
    Participant

Regarding “nothing being done” — that may indeed be the outcome.

But this thing still has legs. Look at the recent coverage:
    * Business Week
    * NPR
    * NY Times
    * CNN

Just having the “scandal” covered by these outlets is something.

Thanks Marvin Austin!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.