NC State received the East Region’s 8th seed in the East Region and will play Temple in Dayton, Ohio on Friday. With a win, the Wolfpack would most likely play #1 seeded Indiana on Sunday.
The 24-10 Wolfpack finished #33 in the RPI and was generally projected by most ‘Bracketologists’ to land on the eight line. The committee SAYS that they try to adjust bids and seeding for key injuries through the season. It is hard to imagine that NC State received such consideration for Lorenzo Brown’s injury this year. The Wolfpack was 24-7 for the year with our starting point guard and finished the season 8-3 after Brown returned from injury.
Miami, who defeated NC State in the ACC Tournament semi-finals yesterday, claimed the #2 seed in the same South region as the Wolfpack. The Hurricanes become the first team in ACC history to win the the regular season out-right and claim the ACC Tournament Championship and NOT get a #1 seed in NCAA Tournament. With the Canes getting slotted to play in the East I have to wonder why NC State wasn’t sent to the West to play opposite Gonzaga?
You can click here for the NCAA Tournament bracket.
In other news of interest to NC State and Atlantic Coast Conference fans:
- Duke’s #2 seed in the Midwest Region challenges a lot of rationale. The Blue Devils finished the season as the #1 rated team in the RPI, yet were selected to be in the same region as the #1 overall seed (Louisville). That would intimate that the #1 RPI translated into a #8 overall seed. But, the NCAA insists they don’t use an ‘S-curve’ methodology and that seeding is almost more like slotting — done by location.
- North Carolina gets an 8 seed in the South Region and will play Villanova on Friday. With a win, the Tar Heels will probably play Roy Williams’ former school, Kansas. The Jayhawks knocked both the Wolfpack and the Tar Heels out of the last year’s NCAA Tournament.
- If the NCAA did our local schools any favor it is that they scheduled State, Duke and Carolina to all play on a Friday and Sunday cadence. If all three Triangle teams win on Thursday then this area is going to be CRAZY on Sunday!!
- Virginia and Maryland both fell short in their quest to make the Tournament – leaving only four ACC teams in this year’s tournament. Making it even more interesting that NC State and Miami are in the same bracket.
- At the end of the day, I think it is fair to draw the conclusion that the ACC really got screwed at every turn this year. If Billy Packer was still working for CBS I could guarantee you that we’d at least get some of these ACC-centric questions asked this evening.
- I must’ve been too deep in typing — someone please point me to Arizona State’s seed? #sarcasm
- SFN will do our best to get interviews with Kentucky’s Ryan Harrow and Old Dominion’s Deshawn Painter to discus their NCAA plans this year.
- Our game against Temple is scheduled to play Friday at 1:40 pm EDT on TBS.