With today’s first NCAA tournament appearance in 5 years coming up at 12:40PM today, I wanted to take a quick look back on NC State’s appearances in the NCAA tournament through the years for some useless factoids.
- Since the 1950′s when the NCAA tournament expanded to 16 teams (it has been only 8 conference champions prior to that) and after the creation of the ACC, NC State has been to the NCAA tournament 19 times.
- Of NC State’s 19 appearances, it has been knocked out of the first round 5 times (1955 field of 22, 1982 field of 48, 1987 field of 64, 1988 field of 64, 2002, field of 65… all fields include play-in games).
- NC State has never been worse than an 11 seed.
- During NC State’s 5 first-round loses, they were seeded 7, 11, 3, and 9 (there were no seeds during the 1955 game).
- The only other coaches in NC State history to go to the NCAA tournament in their first year was Les Robinson and Press Maravich. Everett Case, Herb Sendek, and Sidney Lowe went to the NIT their first year (
though with expansion, some could argue that Everett may have made an “expanded” NCAA fieldthough Everett Case’s NIT team would have almost certainly made the NCAA field; wording changed to avoid confusion).
- Since expanding the field to over 60 teams, NC State has been to the tournament 11 times, being eliminated in the first round 3 times and in the second round 4 times.
- In the same time period, NC State has only upset their first round opponent twice (2005 against #7 Charlotte and 2006 against #7 California). In 2005 we went on to reach the S16; in the following year we were knocked out in the second round.
Now you can say you learned something today. Please make sure to check out our headline-dump on today’s game (courtesy of 1.21 Jigawatts), our preview of SDSU (courtesy of BJD95), and just incase you are feeling cynical, feel free to check out my previous article on why it’s reasonable/rationale to not let the ACC officiating thing drop.
If you haven’t already, hurry up and join our StateFansNation ESPN Bracket Challenge group!