As NC State basketball prepares to begin ACC play on Sunday against Maryland, here are a few interesting stats.
• All 5 starters (Leslie, Brown, Wood, Williams & Howell) are averaging double figures in points. State hasn’t had 5 double figure scorers since the 06-07 team (Costner, Grant, McCauley, Atsur & Fells). Before that, you have to go back to 77-78 (Whitney, Austin, Warren, Pinder & Matthews) to find a State team with 5 double figure scorers.
• It would be hard to get more balanced scoring out of your starting 5 than State’s starters this season. All 5 starters average between 12.2 and 13.0 points per game.
• Richard Howell’s 9.9 rebounds per game is the highest average since Todd Fuller (also 9.9) in 95-96. To find a higher rebounds per game average you have to go back to Kenny Carr (10.3) in 75-76.
• Lorenzo Brown’s 6.7 assists per game is the highest since Chris Corchiani (9.6) in 90-91.
• C.J. Leslie’s 2.33 blocks per game is the highest since Thurl Bailey (2.64) in 82-83, just above Cedric Simmons (2.28) in 05-06.
• Scott Wood’s 3-point percentage of .471 is the highest since Archie Miller (.575) in 00-01 (qualification of a minimum of 1 3-pointer made per game).
• The team average of 77.3 points per game and 17.8 assists per game are the highest since Les Robinson’s last team in 95-96 (80.9 and 18.8).