With the Wolfpack suddenly struggling on the hardwood, it’s hard for everyone to pay extremely close attention to everything else that is going on in the league. But, as we have turned the corner on the mid-point of the season there have been some very interesting developments that are worth noting.
* So, the powerful UCLA Bruins dominate the Pac 10 and then lose in a non-conference match-up vs West Virginia. LOL! We have obviously discussed the ACC vs Pac 10 issue multiple times this year and you can get to most of the conversation through this entry. Most recently, kenpom added to the analysis with this entry.
* DaveSez takes a statistical look at individual player rankings. NC State’s Ben McCauley and Brandon Costner are the only Wolfpackers to crack the Top 25. Engin Atsur logs in at #37, but he hasn’t even played in half the Wolfpack’s wins. By contrast, UNC-CH has four players in the top 11. Obviously, I expected Gavin Grant to be ranked somewhere in the rankings. The next time that Gavin dribbles the ball off his foot and you choose to not think it is that big of a deal because of everything else that he does for us; think again. Dave even comments on his ommission:
I really expected Gavin Grant to rate higher. He does so many things for State. His turnovers really kill his overall efficiency though.
* 850TheBuzz always has some great ACC Notes. This week they are asking if Duke is on the bubble? A: Hell no. Sure, if the Blue Devils continue to lose out the rest of the season then their NCAA Tournament berth will be in question. But, anyone who has looked at their #18 RPI, #4 SOS, and FIVE wins vs Top 25 (RPI) can tell you that there aren’t ANY “bubble” teams with 18 overall wins and FIVE victories of Top 25 teams. The Courtmaster also has an interesting entry on the topic today that can be summarized with the following:
This is either a talented team that is underachieving or a group that isn’t as talented as the experts figured based on those high recruiting rankings.
* Right when you think that Georgia Tech and Maryland are in trouble, the Yellow Jackets and Terrapins bounce back with redemption. GT keeps on rolling with a win over FSU. This is good for the ACC. If things continue down the current direction then you may see GT, FSU and Maryland battling for the ACC’s final NCAA Tournament bid(s).
* If you like number crunching, then this entry from Dave Sez is for you. Nice work.
* Virginia got it together over the last few weeks and then got shelled by rival, Virginia Tech. The Cavaliers rocketed up the RPI in the month and now need only another couple of wins to guarantee themselves an NCAA Tournament bid. Funny, their AD and their fans aren’t in ‘make it up mode’ and proclaiming how it takes five or six years to build an NCAA Tournament team. However, if Sean Singletary turns pro after this year then the Cavs may be struggling again soon.
* What would an entry discussing ACC Basketball be without highlighting Virginia Tech. Similar to Virginia, I expect the Hokies to experience quite a drop-off next season as they lose 3 or 4 key seniors, including Zabian Dowdell.
* No reason to be rude and ignore BC. (Link)