Your “We Done Did It Again” FSU Open Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Your “We Done Did It Again” FSU Open Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

I understand wanting to “punish” Gottfried by firing him now but who are you going to replace him with?

You got to give him credit for one thing, he’s taken the pressure off Doeren for now. If Gott was losing close games but beating the holes, I wonder how we would be? But he’s not so I’m taking Rick’s way out of the pain. See ya!!

freshmanin83
    Participant

Lutz was initially billed or introduced as a solid “compliment” to Gottfried.

Is this some kind of joke I don’t get or did you mean “complement”?

Are you joking or are you serious that you can’t figure this out?

Adventuroo
    Participant

GREYWOLF,

Thanks for catching the incorrect spelling of complementary. It was NOT a COMPLIMENT but a COMPLEMENT.

Nothing I wrote, unless it was very obvious, was intended as a joke.

I believe that the following sums it up. If you differ, then I will leave you with the reasoning for such.

1. combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other or another.
    “three guitarists playing interlocking, complementary parts”
    synonyms: harmonious, compatible, corresponding, matching, twin; More

If you watched the Presser on Lutz or read the articles, Bobby’s coaching career, as well as his success, at UNC-Charlotte were part of Coach Gottfried’s strategy to bring in a team that could work together….so that he could hit the ground running. The following summed it up, at least to me….perhaps not you….

https://ncstate.rivals.com/news/nc-state-announces-hiring-of-bobby-lutz

BJD95
    Keymaster

The bottom line is RESPECT. Perhaps Lutz was able to garner a little bit of it (the players this year CLEARLY have no respect for Gottfried), though the very obvious falling out with Gottfried became too apparent to continue last season. And, we were garbage.

I understand why the move was made, and it made it clear that Gottfried was simply not up to the task. He got to do things HIS way, and failed spectacularly.

Time only moves forward, so we don’t go BACK to Lutz, but we can certainly point to their falling out as the beginning of the end. The partnership was maybe the only thing that kept the ship together, with spit and duct tape.

Twas never gonna get us all the way there. Just a band-aid solution. Now we need to find that permanent answer.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Now we need to find that permanent answer.

Hopefully. But just because we can’t be sure that the next guy is going to be “the one”, that’s not a reason to keep one that is certainly not the answer.

Greywolf
    Participant

Thanks for catching the incorrect spelling of complementary. It was NOT a COMPLIMENT but a COMPLEMENT.

I wondered if hiring Lutz was a compliment to Gott… or something like that.

The quotation marks had me question the intent. I’m not the grammar or spelling police type. Had the quotation marks not been there, I would not have raised the question. I too thought the two were complementary.

I’m not much of a basketball fan these days — not since V’s days as our coach, so I don’t read or watch much and don’t remember much of anything I do read. You know, CRS. Sorry if I sounded “corrective.”

Football is a different deal for me. I’m surprised no one has commented on Coach Nielsen leaving and going to the Saints as their DL coach. All most the same day we hired another DL coach so it wasn’t a “sneak off” affair. We will miss him but the new hire seems to be well liked by those who know that sort of thing.

We’ve lost four coaches recently — 2all 2 last year and 2 this year — to promotions or better paying jobs. No coaches are splitting to get away from Doeren. Canada was fired, not leaving on his own.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I wondered if hiring Lutz was a compliment to Gott… or something like that.

The quotation marks had me question the intent. I’m not the grammar or spelling police type. Had the quotation marks not been there, I would not have raised the question. I too thought the two were complementary.

I’m not much of a basketball fan these days — not since V’s days as our coach, so I don’t read or watch much and don’t remember much of anything I do read. You know, CRS. Sorry if I sounded “corrective.”

Football is a different deal for me. I’m surprised no one has commented on Coach Nielsen leaving and going to the Saints as their DL coach. All most the same day we hired another DL coach so it wasn’t a “sneak off” affair. We will miss him but the new hire seems to be well liked by those who know that sort of thing.

We’ve lost four coaches recently — 2all 2 last year and 2 this year — to promotions or better paying jobs. No coaches are splitting to get away from Doeren. Canada was fired, not leaving on his own.

I believe the word that fits here is called “apathy”. For the most part nobody cares. Yow says there is “progress” but anyone with a brain can see through that. He gets next season so I would imagine most of us are in a wait and see mode. I know you like DD but you have to admit he hasnt built any excited around the program.

JeremyH
    Participant

DY is right to point out that game in Chapel Hill two years ago, I remember it distinctly. There was a 5-7 minute stretch in the 2nd half where we struggling mightily on offense yet maintained our lead. What happened? During this long chunk of game we played spectacular defense and held our own.

The game did not fall out of reach because we went cold. This year, being behind 5 points feels like 20, because we simply cannot buy stops, and the opposition is actually laughing about how easy it is to score.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Now we need to find that permanent answer.

Hopefully. But just because we can’t be sure that the next guy is going to be “the one”, that’s not a reason to keep one that is certainly not the answer.

100% agreed. Have to keep kicking over rocks or you’ll never get there. Sticking with “not good enough” is always the wrong answer, regardless of “it can always get worse.”

NEVER have a loser’s mentality.

JeremyH
    Participant

By the way I feel like Charles Oakley..or Eric Dickerson, but it is what it is.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Well, I’m not the jinx since I didn’t watch and they didn’t win. I will pretty much watch any State game any time, but completely zoned on this one – signs of the times. I took a walk in the very rare 10″ of snowfall we got over the last 2 days, and returned refreshed and in a good frame of mind. Funny how that happens.

As for Gott, I don’t see a way forward. He had plenty of talent, just a delay with Yurtseven getting on the court and Mav’s concussion. Hopefully DY is concocting a health related early retirement scenario for Gott, and has had minions already on the phone with potential replacements.

I was thinking about the Falcons hiring Sarkisian, and just to be morbid I wondering what the equivalent hire would be for State bball. Then I thought that maybe Gott was it 😐

Greywolf
    Participant

I know you like DD but you have to admit he hasnt built any excited around the program.

No buzz on this site but plenty of buzz on another, much bigger site. The quality and depth of the DL, the development, depth and quality of coaching on the OL, emerging WR core, the small number of seniors from the starting line up graduating, etc., has many people excited about 2017. Coaches are leaving for promotion to coordinators of other programs or moving up to coach in the NFL. Openings are being filled by good, young coaches — and very quickly too. Perhaps we don’t see Doeren as a good HC but he is apparently seen that way by the coaching fraternity.

There is a lot of buzz on blogs by professionals and on radio such as Steve Logan’s show.

So, you are right there is no buzz about the football program but that is only true on this site. This site thrives on pessimism, complaints and put downs.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I know you like DD but you have to admit he hasnt built any excited around the program.

No buzz on this site but plenty of buzz on another, much bigger site. The quality and depth of the DL, the development, depth and quality of coaching on the OL, emerging WR core, the small number of seniors from the starting line up graduating, etc., has many people excited about 2017. Coaches are leaving for promotion to coordinators of other programs or moving up to coach in the NFL. Openings are being filled by good, young coaches — and very quickly too. Perhaps we don’t see Doeren as a good HC but he is apparently seen that way by the coaching fraternity.

There is a lot of buzz on blogs by professionals and on radio such as Steve Logan’s show.

So, you are right there is no buzz about the football program but that is only true on this site. This site thrives on pessimism, complaints and put downs.

Lets wait and see how the ticket sales do before we anoint DD as the next Bill Walsh.

No matter how you try and build him up in the post above his best season to date in conference is 3-5. TOB had a better record and was fired for it. So yeah I would think the masses can see through this charade. He gets next year for sure but I would bet dollars to donuts only a handful of folks really think he can break through and get 8 regular season wins.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I would bet dollars to donuts only a handful of folks really think he can break through and get 8 regular season wins.

I don’t know. It’s an extremely rare occurrence for the lead up to a FB or BB season NOT TO be full of delusional projections. No matter how may times they fall flat, those uber-optimistic projections seem to come twice a year, every year.

Greywolf
    Participant

This site thrives on pessimism, complaints and put downs.

Lets wait and see how the ticket sales do before we anoint DD as the next Bill Walsh.

No matter how you try and build him up in the post above his best season to date in conference is 3-5. TOB had a better record and was fired for it. So yeah I would think the masses can see through this charade. He gets next year for sure but I would bet dollars to donuts only a handful of folks really think he can break through and get 8 regular season wins.

Thank you for proving my point about “pessimism, complaints and put downs.”

Excitement about the future isn’t built on checking the record book for past history. Your comment about TOB being fired for his record only shows just how little you know about his dismissal. TOB was fired for (as BJD would say) for crapping the bed with his best team in 2012 AND for the miserable effort put into recruiting.

But go ahead. Look in the rear view mirror if that’s what turns you on. You can cite the past to prove your point about the future if you like, that’s the SFN way.

FYI right now State is a 7.5 point favorite over South Carolina. Why is that? Could it be because the people who make their living appraising football teams look at what’s going on in the present, not at what went on in the past.

BTW I neither like nor dislike Dave Doeren. I like that he seems to know what it takes to build a quality football program. I do like the staff and coaches he continues to assemble here. I like the depth he’s building and I like the quality of young men he’s recruiting. I like the facility improvements we are making to be more attractive to recruits.

In contrast to our neighbors we won’t have scholarship players ganging up onn and beating up walk-ons like a bunch of hoodlums. He also won’t be strutting around showing off his abs while swilling and shilling for Red Bull.

BTW I don’t particularly like some of his sideline decisions but I didn’t like some of Seattle’s and Atlanta’s decisions in their Super Bowls either. (Go ahead. Make something out of that.)

TheCOWDOG

Mr. Grey, you make my work so much easier.

Greywolf
    Participant

I don’t know. It’s an extremely rare occurrence for the lead up to a FB or BB season NOT TO be full of delusional projections. No matter how may times they fall flat, those uber-optimistic projections seem to come twice a year, every year.

Are you including the bookies who currently have State a 7.5 point favorite over SC as being delusional?

Rick
    Keymaster

So, you are right there is no buzz about the football program but that is only true on this site. This site thrives on pessimism, complaints and

put downs

You probably shouldn’t criticize something you take part in.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Are you including the bookies who currently have State a 7.5 point favorite over SC as being delusional?

I don’t know a thing about SC, so I couldn’t say anything about the bookies.

BTW, I hope you’re right about State. But I don’t expect it.

Greywolf
    Participant

Mr. Grey, you make my work so much easier.

Well, I for sure take that as a compliment. Or do we complement each other? 😉

BTW did you see where our defense was second in the nation in first down yards per game given up? It things like this that have me be delusional about 2017.

I’m preaching to the choir I know but we have one bad-ass, 2-deep DL coming back this year — mostly seniors.

Rick
    Keymaster

BTW did you see where our defense was second in the nation in first down yards per game given up?

How are we ranked on fourth down plays run into the wind in away games played against Coastal division teams?

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

BTW did you see where our defense was second in the nation in first down yards per game given up?

How are we ranked on fourth down plays run into the wind in away games played against Coastal division teams?

lol

Greywolf
    Participant

Just a shade better than our basketball team is from the free throw line in the second half against all comers. 😉

Are we second in the nation in anything positive with the roundballers? Oh yeah, triple doubles in losing efforts.

Greywolf
    Participant

I like this site. You can really rile up the natives saying anything positive about the football team. lol giggle, giggle, ho, ho, ho. Smirk, smirk, smirk.

BJD95
    Keymaster

You can piss and moan about this site all you want…which coach have we “turned on” that proved himself worthy elsewhere? Exactly how many MISTAKES did we make in our calling a spade a spade?

While that “bigger site” was publishing propoganda to try to keep the likes of Sidney Lowe employed. Seriously.

You can’t trust someone who will blow smoke up your ass no matter the weather. We tell you the truth here, to the best of our ability.

Doeren is getting one more “prove it” year, since the late win over the Holes bought him a reprieve from the gallows (that he would have otherwise earned from losing to EZU and at home to BC). In retrospect, I am fine with that because it means we can keep focus on the basketballing dumpster fire, and not allow Yow to hide because “we just changed one revenue sport coach.”

Also, I get that NC State football is a challenging project.

But he’s got to have a very good season on the field and on the recruiting trail to make up for the backsliding, and convince me he’s really turned the corner and is capable of more than just minor bowl appearances.

I think that’s completely fair.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.