You can switch one team out of conference who goes and who comes

Home Forums All StateFansNation You can switch one team out of conference who goes and who comes

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    GoPack83
    Participant

You make some valid points but in the past 5-6 years only two sec teams have finished in the top 25 more than once, Florida and Kentucky. One has a early ballot hall of fame coach and the other has big blue nation and one of the most rich traditions in college basketball. I believe perennial top 25 is where most of us would like to see our program go but sadly neither our coach nor our tradition matches up in either of those categories (I believe both are significant just not at the level that it seems to be a perennial top 25 team in the sec). Also arguably our top two players this season transferred away from sec programs to play in the acc despite being consistent starters and in one case the leading scorer. It’s hard to imagine us being able to lure top tier high school athletes in the area to play in the sec when the acc is being regarded as the conference to rule all conferences. I can’t say for sure but I doubt we have a shot at Brandon Ingram if we’re in the acc.

As for your last point, I do not believe you speak for everyone. And I find it hard to believe that people were not excited about the CWS a couple years ago or when the college baseball attendance record was broken during the acc tournament in Durham.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Top 25 rankings in college basketball are useless but I’ll get back to this point in just a minute. Players commit to a school, whether straight from HS or transferring to another, for a number of reasons but I’d take a wild guess and say what conference they play in isn’t even in the top 5. I’d venture a guess and say playing time is the #1 reason for a player to transfer with wanting a different coach being a close #2. With the expansion of ESPN/Fox Sports coverage, getting seen on TV isn’t difficult at most schools anymore so who you play doesn’t mean as much as it used to.

As for luring Top Tier talent to NC State, I’d hate to be the bearer of bad news but State isn’t luring in anymore top tier talent now on a basis to make any difference what major conference they are in. NC State has numerous advantages in recruiting already built in (Facilities, Large City, History, Passionate Fanbase, Major Conference Affiliation) but it takes more than that to recruit players. Most players today commit to a coach, not a school and definitely not a conference. Everyone has seen this the second a coach is fired and how many players transfer out.

Back to the Top 25 thing. The real measuring stick of any program is (1) Are you getting to the NCAAT? and (2) How far are you going in the NCAAT? Let’s take a look at just the SEC and ACC in the NCAAT over the past 5 years:

* = Hasn’t been a part of the conference the entire 5 years
    # = Played in the NCAAT opening PLAY-IN rounds and the win/loss isn’t figured in

As you can see the SEC has had 4 teams consistently (3x or more) make the NCAAT. Of those 4, 2 have future HOF coaches with 1 at a blue blood school who has won a national championship during that time. The fourth (Vanderbilt) hasn’t done anything with their appearances though they usually do well during the regular season.

In the ACC you have 4 teams consistently (3x or more) making the NCAAT as well. Doesn’t appear like the ACC has been that big of a factor in postseason. Of those 4, 2 have future HOF coaches with both at blue blood schools and one winning a national championship during that time. The other 2 have done about the same as the other 2 (UT and Vanderbilt) in the SEC.

So initially being in the ACC hasn’t been any better than being in the SEC, and the ACC is a “Basketball” conference.

Now let’s add in the results of the teams that have been added to the conferences in the last 5 years to see what they bring to the table and how they might change the outlook in the future.

Now here’s where the changes come into play. The SEC adds one team who record from 2 conferences makes it a consistent attender in the NCAAT during this timeframe, though neither team added has done anything with their visits to the NCAAT.

The ACC on the other hand has added 4 teams that all are consistent attenders with 2 having HOF coaches and one winning a National title during this time. The other 2 (Pitt & ND) have done well during the regular seasons but nothing in the tournaments.

So what’s the common denominator in all this? Coaching. You’ve got “good” coaches who can get you to the NCAAT and you have HOF coaches who can get you to the Final Four and win you a National Championship. Conference affiliation doesn’t seen to have any impact in where these coaches have brought in such top tier talent and been able to win.

As for Baseball, it’s just like any other non-revenue sport…if you get to the championship level then people will get “excited” for a short stint, otherwise you have a VERY SMALL following.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

So what’s the common denominator in all this? Coaching.

Ding, Ding Ding….we have a winner!

Fastback68
    Participant

The new playoff system, which will surely expand to eight, torpedoes my long-held belief that being in the ACC for football is advantageous for State. Clemson, GTech and FSU came through undefeated, 1 tie or 1 loss and had to play up in just one game to win a National Championship. Now you must go undefeated in your schedule, win the ACC championship, avoid getting screwed out of a playoff spot because you are NC State, win a playoff game and win the title game. Go to one of the big four conferences now. In the big picture, I think the ACC is a dead conference walking. There was a time when the gamecocks were a perennial loser with no bowl appearances. Coaching trumps all.

Greywolf
    Participant

How do you sell a North Carolina kid to play against auburn, miss st, Georgia, usc team for four years

Give John Wall a call, he might be able to give you an answer… Oh wait, you said 4 years.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.