Wrestling Team Locks 2nd Place in Pop's 2nd year …

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports Wrestling Team Locks 2nd Place in Pop's 2nd year …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SaccoV
    Participant

Not sure if you follow State wrestling, but the team notched their 4th win against a ranked opponent this season, (#15 Virginia) and is currently ranked #20 with Oklahoma State (Pop’s alma mater) coming to Raleigh to conclude the wrestling season. State doesn’t reasonably have a chance to win the ACC title this year (Va Tech is a superior team right now with several strong All-American candidates), but next year State will be competing for the ACC title. State sits at 16-5 with 4 of those 5 losses coming to teams ranked in the top-10 nationally.

Here is the write-up over the win over UVA.

Also, to be noted, Nick Gwiazdowski (defending NCAA Champion at HWT), is poised to be the Pack’s 1st 2X National Champion, and has pinned six straight opponents and has already set the NCSU record for consecutive wins with 47. He has pinned every conference opponent this year, and those who followed State wrestling will remember Tab Thacker (1984 NCAA Champion–54 career pins) and Sylvester Terkay (1992 NCAA Runner-up, 1993 NCAA Champion–78 career pins), to see how exclusive Gwiazdowski’s company is.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Yep, I’m paying attention. Hopefully I’ll be able to watch on Sunday. A recruit from Cary, Will Clark, is wrestling for his second consecutive State Championship in just a few minutes. He also won the 2014 High School National Championship last year, coming out of a 98 wrestler field that included 20 state champions. The future looks bright.

SaccoV
    Participant

Mr.Plywood, I thought Pop’s testicles were huge in burning the redshirt on Kevin Jack before the Pitt match, only to have him score a pin, followed by a major decision in the UVa win. It is obvious that Pop wants to win badly and next year’s squad will definitely be the best since Jordan’s one ACC championship year (2006-07), as Thomas Gantt will return for his last season along with Gwiz, and a ton of solid sophomores (Meredith, Hall, Boykin, Jack). Roshkopf and Renda will return as well, but they have had tough seasons. I hope they both turn it around for conference tourney.

SaccoV
    Participant

Not sure if anyone else watched, but State fought a good fight but was overmatched as the team fell 20-12 at home to Oklahoma State (#6 ranked). Gwiz ran his streak to 48 with a win over the #5 Austin Harden 4-1. Joe DeAngelo scored one of two upsets beating #8 Klimara, Kevin Jack (redshirted until two weeks ago) scores a victory over #16 Dean Hall at 141 lbs.; Beau Donahue scores an overtime victory over Davey Dolan. Great wrestling to end the season. Looking forward to the team showing well at the ACC Tourney, which will be held in Pittsburgh this season.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this information and starting the thread. I follow the performance of the wrestling team through their Twitter updates, but that is about it. So, having this intel is appreciated.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Update: Will Clark of Cary High School won his 2nd consecutive NC State HS Championship on Saturday. I don’t know if he’s going to the Nationals again, but I have a feeling he will. I’m looking forward to his career at State.

Here’s some info regarding the youth on the team, via the team’s Twitter: “Not including those redshirting this year, the Pack’s freshmen and sophomores have combined for 80.6% (237 of 294) of the team’s total wins.”

SaccoV
    Participant

Joe D’Angelo wins ACC Wrestler of the Week!! Here is the link. Great job by Joe, who has had his struggles throughout his tenure at State, but I believe we are seeing him wrestle his best. His upset of Klimara from Oklahoma State last Friday was his last match in Reynolds, and he went out a winner. Good luck in the ACC tournament to Joe, and he should get an at-large bid to the NCAA’s for several upsets this year over ranked opponents.

SaccoV
    Participant

D’Angelo joins Michael Boykin (Fr.) and Nick Gwiazdowski as Pack wrestlers who have won the ACC Wrestler of the Week award. I will add this, if Nick Gwiazdowski DOES NOT win ACC Wrestler of the Year, then something is seriously wrong. But then again, TJ Warren won ACC Player of the Year last season and only won Player of the Week ONCE!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.