Wolfpack’s football scheduling philosophy and future games

Home Forums All StateFansNation Wolfpack’s football scheduling philosophy and future games

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

NC State released yesterday a closer look at their scheduling process and philosophy. In it they talk about the three key ingredients of the process,
    [See the full post at: Wolfpack’s football scheduling philosophy and future games]

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Louisville being put in our division instead of the Coastal where it should have been placed, basically necessitates a counter balance in the OOC. Year in, year out, we must face 3 powerhouse teams…usually highly rated. ND is occasionally thrown into the OOC already. We’ve added solid programs in WV and Miss State. And we’re forced to play ECU which can be a distraction sometimes in that only bad things come out of playing them. I think Yow is spot on. We need some wins if for nothing else confidence building for when we go up against the big dogs.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

We play Duke – a conference rival just 30 miles away – once in the next DECADE.

We play ECU – a non-conference, no benefit trap game – 3 times during that span.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Though it might be a bit premature to anoint the ‘Ville to annual powerhouse status, I like the addition of strength and am happy that they are in our division and look forward to what will hopefully become a good rivalry. Now if we could just trade ‘Cuse for VT.

I don’t mind not having an annual Duke match up in football, but I do hope something can be worked out to bring it around a bit more often.

I’d like to see ECU dropped completely, but am not holding my breath.

TheCOWDOG

Something tells me that once the ACC figures out its new autonomy rules,realignment will be part of the package.

Defenestrate
    Participant

Anyone know if we’re going to buy out the two OOC away games in 2015? Seems like a given, since it increases our odds of an embarrassing loss. On the plus side I wouldn’t have to attend similar cupcake games in Raleigh those weekends…

Non-Conference – Troy, at Old Dominion, at South Alabama, Eastern Kentucky

kornegaylw
    Spectator

Outside of ECU all the non-conference games will not be sell outs, will be like watching paint dry and you couldn’t give away the tickets if you tapped $20s to them. Y’all can call it a “trap” game all you want but App State should be on the schedule the same as ECU. 4 & 5 star recruits are great but solid FBS teams that win are built with the players that App & ECU make their #1 priority. If you beat them you can steal some recruits & begin to make moves. Plus you sell out the game, their is a re-sale market and the games are fun to watch. ***Drops mic, walks off stage***

tag42481
    Participant

“You want to strike a balance between overall schedule strength, opportunities for competitive growth, an attractive home slate, marquee matchups for exposure and more.

If our OOC scheduling plan is to play one Power 5 game, 2 mid-major games, and 1 FCS team, then that tells me there’s one attractive home game every other year (assuming the Power 5 will go back and forth between home/away). I don’t care about seeing the mid-major games at Carter-Finley. Heck, we’re going TO Troy? We’re going TO South Alabama? Are you kidding me?

And this Duke thing really makes me mad. While playing at Duke doesn’t give us any gate revenue, the actual cost of traveling there is essentially zero. Talk about a money saver! Fans started asking for an annual State-Duke game 10 years ago, and the ADs still haven’t done anything to make that happen.

PackFamily
    Participant

Anyone know if we’re going to buy out the two OOC away games in 2015?

I can see us buying out S Alabama, but at ODU is being pitched as good for recruiting.

PackFamily
    Participant

n May the ACC reached an agreement to remain with an eight-game league schedule while requiring all teams to schedule at least one non-conference opponent from a Power 5 conference (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 12, SEC) beginning in 2017.

The Wolfpack fulfills that requirement a year early with Notre Dame set to visit Carter-Finley Stadium on Oct. 8, 2016.

I don’t understand this. We were already set to play ND as part of the agreement with the ACC. ND is not part of any conference in football, so how does this satisfy the need to play a team OOC and from the P5 conference?

Play ND as a P5 team = fail (not part of a P5 conference)
    Play ND as OOC = partial fail (ACC in all but Football (and hockey)).

ruffles31
    Keymaster

P5 includes Notre Dame automatically.

It isn’t any different if we were to schedule Duke as an OOC in 2023.

PackFamily
    Participant

P5 includes Notre Dame automatically.

how so?

packalum44
    Participant

If calling up schools and begging them to play a series with us is a philosophy then yes we have a great one.

NC State will ALWAYS be in a rebuilding phase with a few good years just from normally distributed chance. To try to time our good years is futile. Therefore logic dictates you schedule marquee games whenever as often as possible (helps to have a Lee Fowler at another big time school). If school wises up and buyouts the game then fine we get paid if not then we get lucky and we get really lucky if we have an NFL QB who gives us a fighting chance for an outlying 2+ distribution season and actually beat the storied program.

Yow is a huge upgrade but to think she can turn a poor resourced program into gold is insanity. You need $$$ to be good. No Phil Knight? T Boone? Dreaming loses it’s luster after a decade or two no???

tjfoose1
    Participant

I doubt we buy out the ODU game. Lots of NC State ties with the ODU athletic admin folks.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Y’all can call it a “trap” game all you want but App State should be on the schedule the same as ECU. 4 & 5 star recruits are great but solid FBS teams that win are built with the players that App & ECU make their #1 priority. If you beat them you can steal some recruits & begin to make moves. Plus you sell out the game, their is a re-sale market and the games are fun to watch. ***Drops mic, walks off stage***

That’s either a bad joke or the dumbest thing I’ve read in quite a while.

Cardiac95
    Participant

NC State will ALWAYS be in a rebuilding phase with a few good years just from normally distributed chance. To try to time our good years is futile.

Dreaming loses it’s luster after a decade or two no???

Sad, but true…

LRM
    Keymaster

Notre Dame is considered a P5.

bTHEredterror
    Participant

To try to time our good years is futile.

This is why you try to schedule challenging competition regardless, to find out what you are ASAP before conference games. The weak scheduling isn’t about building confidence, it’s about getting to bowl games. That still helps a young team, but players don’t feel better when they beat somebody they’re supposed to beat, and they don’t get better without being challenged individually or collectively. How’d that go last year? Better to get trounced by solid OOC comp then by your first solid conference opponent in my book. Plus, since it doesn’t help recruiting, you feel the need to build confidence in under talented players, and the vicious cycle continues.

13OT
    Participant

Until the ACC is re-aligned or until Coastal Division teams are no longer able to dodge the best teams almost every season, we will NEVER win in the Atlantic Division. We had better talent in the past and never finished above 3rd in this division, and now Louisville is dumped into the mix. Florida State and Clemson are as far ahead of the rest of the football conference as Duke and UNC are ahead of the rest of the basketball conference (outside of Syracuse and Louisville). FSU and Clemson will ALWAYS be good in football because they’re FOOTBALL schools, the same way that Duke and UNC are basketball schools.

Duke played in Charlotte last December ONLY because Virginia Tech was historically bad and because the Blue Devils (again) did not have to face either Clemson or Florida State. Charlotte proved what we all knew all along- that Duke was there only because of being in the Atlantic Division.

Until we get some real talent here, we’ll continue to be beaten like a drum, even in our lowly conference. With a lousy OOC schedule that apparently will never go away, we will never be able to prove that we belong in the upper half of the Big 5 Conferences. And the talent we need won’t come here as long as we are buried in the Atlantic Division and relegated to the ACC Network vs the likes of ODU and ECU.

What is so hard to figure out here? Our administration needs to either get us out of this stupid alignment, or just get us out of this GD conference, period. Honestly, we’d be better off as an independent.

NormsJacket
    Participant

Here’s Yow and Doerren’s strategy: go 4 and 0 against the sorriest schedule in the NCAA and pray you can beat BC and Wake to sneak into the Whatever Bowl to be played two days after Christmas. Make your Shreveport travel plans now, Pack fans!

Rumor: Yow’s trying to get out of next year’s Troy State and South Alabama games so she can schedule Broughton and Athens Drive.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.