Wolfpack Signing Day

Home Forums All StateFansNation Wolfpack Signing Day

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    13OT
    Participant

In today’s paper I read the assessment of the 2016 commits to State, Duke and UNC. What struck me most was that State didn’t have any 4 or 5-stars, and Duke had more 4-stars than UNC.

It’s doubtful that Wolfpack football will improve much if any next season. It takes massive talent influx to get to the level most of us would like to see. I have no doubts that these kids are hard workers and committed to bringing glory to NCSU, but this isn’t basketball, where maybe only one or two really good players are all you need to get to the next level or beyond.

Look at college football over recent years, and it’s the same ole same ole almost every season. The Alabamas, the Oklahomas, the Florida States, the Ohio States and the LSUs among others have historically dominated because they all have had outstanding coaching which attracts much of the talent. Watch Michigan move up now that they have a coach who can get it done, and watch Texas, another program that should move up, stay mired in mediocrity because they apparently are determined to make their coach what he isn’t. What’s going on in Austin is to me the same thing that’s going on in Raleigh.

I sincerely hope Wolfpack football makes a move upward in 2016, but logically I don’t see how that’s going to happen when we can’t even bring in recruiting classes equal to or better than over half our league, probably the weakest conference of the five power conferences.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Pretty good class all things considered. But as others have said, it’s FSU and Clemson and then everyone else, and it isn’t even close.

redisgood
    Participant

In today’s paper I read the assessment of the 2016 commits to State, Duke and UNC. What struck me most was that State didn’t have any 4 or 5-stars, and Duke had more 4-stars than UNC.

It’s doubtful that Wolfpack football will improve much if any next season. It takes massive talent influx to get to the level most of us would like to see. I have no doubts that these kids are hard workers and committed to bringing glory to NCSU, but this isn’t basketball, where maybe only one or two really good players are all you need to get to the next level or beyond.

Just a couple of points. Number of stars is pretty subjective as some have noted, although landing a bunch of 4s and a few 5s is a pretty good indicator of future success. It also depends on the rating service. The article you read has us with no four stars. Rivals has us getting 2 – TE Thaddeus Moss and WR Kelvin Harmon. Scout has us getting one, DT Shug Frasier.

Regarding next year, it’s not often recruits have much of an impact in their first year, so I don’t think it will make much difference to next year’s results, but rather 2 or three years down the road. We did pick up a couple of guys who could help immediately. For the rest, only time will tell.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

It’s doubtful that Wolfpack football will improve much if any next season. It takes massive talent influx to get to the level most of us would like to see.
    I have no doubts that these kids are hard workers and committed to bringing glory to NCSU, but this isn’t basketball, where maybe only one or two really good players are all you need to get to the next level or beyond.

Just a couple of points. Number of stars is pretty subjective as some have noted, although landing a bunch of 4s and a few 5s is a pretty good indicator of future success. It also depends on the rating service. The article you read has us with no four stars. Rivals has us getting 2 – TE Thaddeus Moss and WR Kelvin Harmon. Scout has us getting one, DT Shug Frasier.

Regarding next year, it’s not often recruits have much of an impact in their first year, so I don’t think it will make much difference to next year’s results, but rather 2 or three years down the road. We did pick up a couple of guys who could help immediately. For the rest, only time will tell.

I certainly think we can improve offensively if we go to an all out no huddle air raid style offense. I think it could catch some higher ranked teams off guard if we do it to perfection (as I dont think anyone else in teh ACC is running that version yet). I think if we get to 7 wins with a couple of huge upsets that could be the foundation and blue print to show recruits. However, sadly that should be something done in years 1 or 2 not year 4.

FergusWolf
    Participant

Let’s not forget that Johnny Frasier, who was the crown jewel in our recruiting class last year red-shirted, so he should be in good position to hit the ground running (see what I did there) this year.

Once again, we should be loaded at running back (thanks to good recruiting), which is a great benefit to a first time signal caller.

I just wish that DD had managed to get McClendon some more snaps during the season.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Let’s not forget that Johnny Frasier, who was the crown jewel in our recruiting class last year red-shirted, so he should be in good position to hit the ground running (see what I did there) this year.

Once again, we should be loaded at running back (thanks to good recruiting), which is a great benefit to a first time signal caller.

I just wish that DD had managed to get McClendon some more snaps during the season.

That was bizarre in retrospect how little we actually saw of JM. In fact there was little buzz or nuggets that came out about him. I hope that is not too telling.

redisgood
    Participant

By the time the season rolls around, Jalan will have had three spring practices & spring games, three summers, and two full regular seasons of practice with limited game reps.

With all that behind him it shouldn’t take long to figure out if he’s going to be the guy or not.

I forgot about Frasier. A combination of Dayes & Frasier to go along with Samuel and Hines should be pretty impressive. I also have not heard anything about Gallaspy transferring, although someone here mentioned he was going. Hopefully that was bad intel or he has changed his mind.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.