Wolfpack Men's Roundball Starts Tonite!

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Wolfpack Men's Roundball Starts Tonite!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

For a first game against undermanned opposition not bad. Still need some conditioning and of course some playing time together. As Va said can’t really draw any conclusions from this one game but I did like what I saw for the most part.

Greywolf
    Participant

Six Wolfpackers in double digits…

New math?

L. Freeman
    Dorn
    Johnson
    Hunt
    A. Freeman
    Batts
    Yurt7

rthomas44
    Participant

BOTB…. didn’t see the mater post until this AM.. didn’t freeze here.

Greywolf
    Participant

First year Coach Kevin Keatts and his new-look Wolfpack men’s basketball team starts the 2017-18 regular season tonight at 7:00pm in the PNC.

Ya’ll like the new look?

It’ll take a couple of months?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

grey… forgive a blind old man… after five years of one on five with Cat and DJS — 6 or 7 is damned refreshing…

materman… 36* here… wind kept the frost off everything – I’d already picked all the semi-orange ones like you said do…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Greywolf
    Participant

grey… forgive a blind old man… after five years of one on five with Cat and DJS — 6 or 7 is damned refreshing…

Bill, Check the “?” I was wondering about people who had to wait 2 months to tell if they liked the “New Look” Keatts style basketball. I guess they can only tell by looking at the W/L record.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Ha!

We’re back on the court tomorrow and I’m expecting we’ll see more of the same….

Rick
    Keymaster

Bill, Check the “?” I was wondering about people who had to wait 2 months to tell if they liked the “New Look” Keatts style basketball. I guess they can only tell by looking at the W/L record.

Coaches get paid millions to win. It is certainly a legitimate measuring stick. ‘program building’ and ‘doing it right’ only goes so far.

It’s interesting that many of the people who defended Gott also praise DD for ‘doing things the right way’ cuz Gott was as dirty as they come.

Greywolf
    Participant

Coaches get paid millions to win. It is certainly a legitimate measuring stick. ‘program building’ and ‘doing it right’ only goes so far.

Rick, The question was about how you like the new style (involving all the players). It isn’t measuring anything, just asking how you liked it.

Had you rather go to Chicago or New York? The answer, “I’d rather go by bus.” Doesn’t fit the question. Neither do the answers to Bill’s question fit his question. Perhaps the question was too complicated.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Had you rather go to Chicago or New York? The answer, “I’d rather go by bus.”

OK… WOLFPACK and Charleston Southern on the court at the PNC…

Once they tossed it up… everything looks like it’s a pretty even matchup…

That said, Charles’ bus wouldn’t start at the hotel earlier this pm…
    Who knows how they’ll get home…

Any of ya’ll want to take credit for that?

POP!!!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

PACK goes 14-0 to close the half against Chas and breaks open a otherwise boring and typical Sunday pm game in November…

GO PACK!!!

Texpack
    Participant

Watching the replay. Ragged to the first TO. Pack leads 5-4

Texpack
    Participant

17-11 at the second time out. Pretty much the Al Freeman show. This four guard thing isn’t going to work in ACC play. Hopefully this is just a stopgap until Abu is healthy.

Texpack
    Participant

2-1 Pack for those last four “substandard” minutes of play. Our half court offense needs more preseason games.

Texpack
    Participant

He is playing Frenchy and Hicks together

Texpack
    Participant

25-19 at the under 4. Not impressive at all to this point.

Texpack
    Participant

17-0 to end the half. Hunt is hereby named LHSW. Frenchy played well during the good stretch. Rebounding and starting the running game.

Texpack
    Participant

Flanderous Flemming Jr. Remember that name

Texpack
    Participant

Frenchy and Hicks with another good stretch in there together. Bats has a lot more confidence in his shot than I do.

choppack1
    Participant

Watching this game I am thinking it will be a long year. A little (a lot) worried about our ability to score.

I do like the hustle and effort. I think we have the right guy (though I am not a big fan of teams that rely on the press.)

ancsu87
    Participant

IU lost to a bad Indiana State team, fans booed the new coach and the new coach blamed his players for being “soft” and not understanding the new style. Shockingly the mainstream media did not see fit to call the fan base “unrealistic jerks”.

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick, The question was about how you like the new style (involving all the players). It isn’t measuring anything, just asking how you liked it.

Had you rather go to Chicago or New York? The answer, “I’d rather go by bus.” Doesn’t fit the question. Neither do the answers to Bill’s question fit his question. Perhaps the question was too complicated.

The hustle is great. We haven’t seen that in many years.
    However in five years if he is not winning the style won’t matter.
    Nonetheless, he has a system that had won every where he had gone. The only question is can he do the same at this level.

Rick
    Keymaster

Watching this game I am thinking it will be a long year. A little (a lot) worried about our ability to score.

I do like the hustle and effort. I think we have the right guy (though I am not a big fan of teams that rely on the press.)

I was more concerned about the defense. They hustled but the defense was not sound. Hopefully that works it’s way out as the year progresses.

Texpack
    Participant

I was more concerned about the defense. They hustled but the defense was not sound. Hopefully that works it’s way out as the year progresses.

I have always thought this style has a Sweet 16 ceiling. Other than one Arkansas team, that has proven to be true. I do think teams with a lot of one and drones may be more vulnerable to this style than experienced teams.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

A couple of things worth mentioning…

1. The Team on the Floor is NOT going to be the Team on the Floor in 4 weeks and that Team on the Floor won’t be same Team on the Floor in January.

Keatts has started 4 guards and 1 Big in both games so far… so observations and conclusions about half court Offense and Defense might not be the same things… and it’s way to early to “worry” about it….

With 4 and 1, we will depend on more fast and slow break points than points from set plays… which means we’re gonna a streaky team that scores less than 10 in one 4 minute segment and then gets 10 or more in the 2 minutes…

When ABU returns, we’ll start 2 guards, Dorin and 2 Bigs… and everything should balance out…

2. Yeah… half court Offense in the first 15 minutes was trying to get the ball inside, but Chas was dropped everybody back in the paint… Keatts made a nice in game adjustment with Sam Hunt and told the Bigs to kick the ball out for the three…

This is what broke the game open…

Let’s remember too that for a bunch of kids who have never played together it takes a lot longer to learn to play a new offensive system than to play good defense…

3. As far as defense goes… about all you can really like is the hustle and the fact that in both games the other team made more turnovers than field goals — which ain’t bad at all unless they had gotten 30 free throw attempts, which neither did…

And from Dorin’s post game radio comments… It’s pretty clear that so far Keatts has spent much more practice time on conditioning and defense than offense, which is exactly what they should be doing…

Good Defense keeps you in the game…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.