Wolfpack dominates Jackson State in opener

Home Forums All StateFansNation Wolfpack dominates Jackson State in opener

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Trevor Lacey and Cat Barber were very impressive Friday night, leading the Wolfpack to a 93-58 victory. But, the real story was how the entire team co
    [See the full post at: Wolfpack dominates Jackson State in opener]

inhoc…
    Participant

The only troubling thing I see overall is Free Throws….

Lacey was 3-7, the team was 21-32, 65.6%

Jackson ST went 17-23, 73.9%.

State needs to make 75% of its FTs. Going to need those extra points later in the year.

The game was exciting other than that!

ILPackfan
    Participant

If this backcourt continues to play at this level, it’s going to be a darn good season. Congrats to the Pack on a solid win, and let’s go get Hofstra on Monday!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… missed you guys last night… but I did catch most of the game on the radio…

Definitely a “Dog(Lacy) and “Cat” showcase….

But it sounded like a couple of our Bigs were a little too excited and overly aggressive in the beginning, and perhaps the greater mismatch was outside…

anyways… I wouldn’t make too much of either the great play by Dog & Cat or the weak stat lines of the Bigs… there wasn’t but so much ball to pass around last night and you GOTT to go with the hot hands..

Our Bigs will be there when we need them… Coaches want a balanced offense and will work as hard the kids as they need to until they GOTT it…

Martin continues to impress…
    Anya is a force to be reckoned with..

And I think we all have already picked up on the fact that this TEAM likes each other, is having fun and is far more developed at this stage of season than any previous GOTT squad…

And as posted on the game thread …. “Dog and Cat” have the potential to be one of the top Five GOAT backcourt combos in the last ONE HUNFRED AND FIVE YEARS at NC State….

It’s GOTT to be a Fun Season watching these kids develop….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Hipster Cat statline: 3-5 from the arc, 8-10 from the stripe. 6 assists, 2 steals (plus endless harrassment), NO turnovers.

packalum44
    Participant

It seems obvious to many folks that the bigs were not offensively impressive. What hasn’t been mentioned is the opponent’s game plan. Crash all five guys inside any time the ball enters the paint….make them beat us with an outside shot. I think this fact mitigates some concerns. We will see less of this type of defense – basically a ‘we have nothing to lose’ desperate strategy – when we play ACC teams who have bigs who can guard our bigs one-on-one.

But low and behold, we actually have 4-5 guys that can hit from behind the arc on this team.

Cat’s stroke looks really good when he’s wide open…he has to be guarded tighter which opens up drives. Lacey can actually shoot a 3 off the bounce…something we haven’t had since I can recall. The twins can hit 3s and have a smooth shot. The bigs – Lenard and Kyle – have improved jumpers. Turner hit a few 2 point jumpers off the bounce – an improvement – and has to be respected behind the arc.

When Dez Lee, who would have started on 25 of NC State’s past 30 teams, is the 9th or 10th guy off the bench….Hodge’s twitter hype about depth is actually true for once.

We still aren’t elite but I saw a top 25 team play.

Texpack
    Participant

Caleb Martin was the most pleasant surprise. Lacey has been hyped enough that I wasn’t as surprised by him. Martin’s only weakness is ball handling, but he’s very solid all around for a freshman.

Barber’s three point shot will change the way everybody has to defend us if it holds up.

The bigs, who I’ve been hyping for over a year now, were a big disappointment last night.

The only other downer was FT shooting.

The defensive effort is the best I’ve seen in years from a State team. If we play 9-10 guys all year, we can press enough to cause some real problems for others.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

That was one of the best walk-on/clear the bench times I’ve seen.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.