Wolfpack Basketball from a Historical Perspective …

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Wolfpack Basketball from a Historical Perspective …

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

As promised, the Sun is shining and the birds are singing this morning…

Let’s try to put everything ‘basketball’ in a proper historical context…

Excluding the the WWII years 1940-1946 and the Les Robinson years 1991-1996…
    The last time Wolfpack Men’s Basketball had back to back losing seasons was the first three years of the program in 1922, 1923 && 1924…

Coaches get paid to win games…

All I’m gonna say ’bout last night’s game is it represented pure “desperation”.

It’s time to plow and it’s time to plant.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    packbackr04
    Participant

..guh

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m not sure exactly what scope Bill was shooting for, but this year marks the 30th anniversary of State’s last basketball ACC championship. So it seems like the plowing and planting from the past hasn’t produced much fruit.

Texpack
    Participant

Miami has had a better MBB program over the past 10-15 years than NC State. That is sad.

I feel about this coaching change the way I felt about the Texans getting Brock Osweiller. You can’t be sure it’s going to work, but you know that rolling for another year with what you have is a blueprint for disaster.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Miami has had a better MBB program over the past 10-15 years than NC State. That is sad.

Oh, many programs have. In addition to Miami, look at FSU. Notre Dame. Look at UVA, who are WELL positioned for the next decade or so.

It’s why I roll my eyes at the “Well it is so hard to win because of Duke and UNC” comments. Hasn’t seemed to bother these juggernauts.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Oh, many programs have. In addition to Miami, look at FSU. Notre Dame. Look at UVA, who are WELL positioned for the next decade or so.

It’s why I roll my eyes at the “Well it is so hard to win because of Duke and UNC” comments. Hasn’t seemed to bother these juggernauts.

YUP. It isn’t like football, where recruiting is primarily regional, and 4 teams make the national tournament. Being in a strong league/area actually HELPS you get more attention and media coverage, actually.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

YUP. It isn’t like football, where recruiting is primarily regional, and 4 teams make the national tournament. Being in a strong league/area actually HELPS you get more attention and media coverage, actually.

You don’t have to look any further than VT to see evidence of this. Greenburg recruited well and so is Buzz. So if a school with virtually no BB history at all can join the ACC and recruit well, then there is no reason to think that State should have problems recruiting.

Which all ties in nicely to claims in the UNC game thread that lack of talent is State’s problem this year. Even if you take that as fact, it’s still an indictment of the coach not doing his job. Sadly enough even after 10 years in Raleigh, the HSSS (Herb Sendek Sunshine Squad) wanted to judge Herb on a sliding scale because State’s talent wasn’t up to the level of the top ACC teams.

StateRed44
    Participant

Name another school that is sabotaged from it’s own hometown, campus, and actual athletic department because of loyalty to a neighbor 30 minutes away. It’s not just the game day competition.

13OT
    Participant

What’s so sad about all this is that basketball has always been the Wolfpack’s signature sport.

Right now, there are only three basketball programs in the ACC whose futures seem to look worse than NCSU’s: Clemson, WF and BC. The Tigers have a long history of b-ball futility, but with football they probably couldn’t care less what happens in Littlejohn. Wake doesn’t spend the big bucks we spend on sports, and although they currently have a likeable big-name HC who seems to recruit well, he appears to me to be lost in critical game situations. BC even being in the ACC in the first place is a huge mistake, but hey, they beat us in BOTH football and basketball this season.

Since the 1980s, we have upgraded the fuh-cilities and have spent big-time, and what do we have to show? Worse yet, what will we end up with if Mark Gottfried is not our HC next season?

It does appear that Gottfried will be gone next season, but the REAL problems, mainly the school administrators, will hang around and will continue to perpetuate the mediocrity that has become NC State athletics for the past 30 years. THEY will decide who’ll likely be the next 5 or 6-year experiment.

Lifetime Rights for NC State football and basketball have given these donors, and I’m one, a perpetual seat to witness an ongoing soap opera of futility.

Excuse me for complaining, but I’m damned tired of this mess. The ongoing Gottfried uncertainty just shows how inept our administrators are in letting this thing continue to fester.

StateRed44
    Participant

Firing him midseason accomplishes zero. The leak accomplished what a midseason firing would. Nobody is going to talk serious right now about the job, especially guys going to the tourney. You guys have to quit worrying about the media or UNC fans because they are not our friends no matter what.

Greywolf
    Participant

Name another school that is sabotaged from it’s own hometown, campus, and actual athletic department because of loyalty to a neighbor 30 minutes away. It’s not just the game day competition.

Winning the Natty in 1974 was a mistake but winning again in ’83 really riled up the BOG, system president and Legislature. Can’t have the flagship up-staged by a bunch of farmers and mechanics. If it were NC State in a huge academic scandal, the scandal would be over 5 years ago. The BOG would have disbanded athletics at NCSU and God only knows what the legislature would have done.

McCallum
    Participant

The ground in Raleigh needs some methyl bromide if anything will grow. The entire place is a sordid bloated mess of empty slogans, dead ideas and cheap antics.

Hearkening back to the words of Judge Smails gives one a clear picture of what is needed, “I want the entire pool scrubbed, sterilized and disinfected”.

McCallum

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.