Where Were You When First Shunned The Baby Blue ?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Where Were You When First Shunned The Baby Blue ?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    SaccoV
    Participant

CD, another colleague of mine was Danny Medlin who just preceded you. Did you ever meet Danny? He played for Oakland for several years after he graduated from State.

coyotejoe
    Participant

AsheWolf, Jerry Clower could not have dreamed up a better story than that…thanks!

McCallum
    Participant

Anybody else up to start smoking a damn turkey?

McCallum

packplantpath
    Participant

Can somebody get my comment out of moderation?

gso packbacker
    Participant

Unlike most here, my hatred for Carolina was cemented BEFORE my love of the Red and White.

At 12 years old, my large, Catholic family moved to Greensboro from up north. Although their were little adjustments, we fit in well and with a family with 5 boys (4 in 4 years too) being good in sports never hurt that

Fast forward to the 81 National Championship game betweenIndiana and Carolina. Great game from my memory, but that guy named Isaiah Thomas really chewed them up. Being a bit of an antagonist my brother and I decided to make a t-shirt and created a handmade IU jersey complete with name and number.

The next day at school the Carolina fans weren’t just unhappy with my choice of attire, but down right ugly and racist. Yep, nothing like dropping the N word and telling me I must be a n-lover if I would root for Indiana and wear that shirt to school.

Yep, I knew Wal-Mart fans BEFORE I even knew of Wal-Mart.

Two years later, I comemerrated the 83 victory with a handmade Lorenzo jersey. Two years after beginning my hatred for Carolina, I began my path tkward Raleigh.

GoldenChain
    Participant

This is my favorite topic! It was 1982, 2 years after my graduation and I was living in Hickory. I was at a dinner dance along with some folks I attended church with and one friend who didn’t go to unx but was a big fan brought a bunch of his App St unx fan buddies. I went into the bathroom where a bunch of guys were standing around shooting the sh!t when one guy says “and his WIFE went to State!” (yes we met our 1st weekend in Raleigh and the rest is history after 4 years of college and 36 1/2 years of marriage thank you very much, how’s your miserable life going?). One drunk ASU grad unx fan says “I’d rather say my wife was a whore than say she went to NC STATE!!!!” I resisted the urge to pop him in front of so many witnesses, two of which were attorneys, but that sealed it! Before that I sort of took the live and let live attitude toward college rivalries but no more. After that it was ‘take no prisoners’! And that’s the life I’ve lived for 34 years. GO TO HELL XAROLINA!!!!

jay95
    Participant

I was taught from birth to despise the Tar Heels, come from a long line of STATE graduates. Growing up in Chatham County I was always surrounded by Tar Heel fans and their holier than thou attitudes. Went on to graduate from STATE myself in 1995 and I swear the older I get the more I hate them. I’m sure the finally revealed long standing cheating has a lot to do with that, especially since it seems that they are going to get away with it again. I don’t have any one story or time that solidified my hatred for them, I was just born this way!! I do love telling Tar Heel fans I’m not a State fan, I’m a STATE GRADUATE!!

Class of 95

TheCOWDOG

^ Lookie here. GC! Was beginning to think we missed your wake.

This story, (our story, all of us) is approaching shelf expiration. I think it’s been posted 3 times, and The Pack has come up 3-0.

highstick
    Participant

Yep, heard that story from you a long time ago, but it never gets old. That 72 game would have been my last as a State undergrad, but I remember the 71 game more vividly!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

Holy Smoke! State wins, Golden Chain reappears! Now if the Cocks can beat Clempson!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Fastback68
    Participant

Subject to IIRC, it was the fall of my senior year in high school and my sister’s senior year at UNX. She invited me to spend the weekend and go to the football game with her friends. I remember dad gave me the keys to his 78 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The Police came on the radio as I hit the Uwharrie mountains. It was early in the morning and there was a line of 20 or more trucks hauling their boats waiting at the public boat ramp at Badin Lake. Without slowing down, I hit the left lane and locked that gas pedal to the floor. This was when 24/27 was just 2 lanes. It wasn’t until I had 5 more trucks to pass and was starting to hit a blind curve that I realized this could end badly. It all most did. Now I understand my 16 year old son a little better.

It was the Duke unx game and the blue devil qb was going for the passing yards record. I don’t know if it was the Duke record or the ACC record. Anyway, the game was never in doubt and being naive I would clap every time the Duke qb completed a pass. Two rows down was your typical drunk kaki wearing, balding 22 year old douche that slowly began to take offense at my clapping even though unx was certain to win. I think I was still jacked up on my near death adrenaline rush on the highway and well pretty soon it turned into a back and forth jawing session and then the DB turns to his buddies for help. So now I’m cheering for the Duke qb to complete every pass. Eventually the record is broken and I’m yelling and the DB tells my sister to shut me up. I remember laughing and telling the guy to either grow some hair or put on a wig and do it himself. I wish I had a video, the guy faces us and attempts to take a step on the aluminum bench but falls backwards wiping out a half dozen goat fans. The attendants show up and had to physically assist 4 people up the steps including baldy. I think even today my sister is still pissed with me. I never cussed and I repeatedly said the guy was going for an individual record. Sportsmanship does not live on the hill.

I only applied to State and I’m glad I went to that game and encountered those hole fans.

Pack78
    Participant

Went to the State-unx game over at the Hole as a freshman in ’74…we came in a ranked favorite IIRC and got plowed something like 34-13. Still remember all of the taunts from the hole fans leaving that pile-of-crap stadium. Hate for the holes actually was conditioned well before that as my GT engineering-grad father explained to me as a young lad that ‘your States and your Techs actually graduate the people that do the important work in life’…the ‘universities of’ (like unx!) take care of the easier, less rigorous things. Was at the game yesterday by the way…the butthurt in the Blew Zone was epic!

GoldenChain
    Participant

Guys I won’t say a decent win didn’t prompt me to look for company but the reality is I haven’t been on any message boards for about two years now because of Pharaoh expecting me to increase my brick production and took away my straw!

Boy….glad I was missed!LOL

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.