What UNC Must Do

Home Forums All StateFansNation What UNC Must Do

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    WolftownVA81
    Participant

Found this an interesting read by Patrick O’Neall of the N&O, formerly a writer for the Chapel Hill News. If only they had taken this approach a couple of years ago, they’d probably be past and sanctions that would have been levied.

More important than whatever action the NCAA takes against the University of North Carolina for what is perhaps the worst athletics-academic scandal in collegiate history is what the UNC administration will do to reel in its corrupt athletic department and its aiders and abettors.

I’m glad people are starting to refer to this as an athletics scandal and rank it where it should be – at the top of the list.

UNC should also take down Williams’ now-tainted 2005 and 2009 NCAA Championship banners from the Smith Center rafters. These titles were won by cheating, plain and simple. Carolina must own up to its ill-gotten titles and voluntarily disown them. Additionally, all UNC victories for any years in which ineligible players were used should be vacated. Williams – and UNC basketball – should have those wins wiped from records. The Carolina football program, and any other nonrevenue teams that used ineligible players, should face the same fate.

This seems like such a no brainer to me. If you cheat and get caught, you have to vacate the win/trophy to maintain the integrity of whatever sport it is (see Lance Armstrong.)

It’s time for honest leadership to prevail in Chapel Hill. The time of reckoning has come for UNC athletics, and the NCAA may not be the agency to provide the incentive that leads Carolina back on the road to integrity. The university must take steps to steady the ship and steer it back to the “Carolina Way.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article22823382.html#storylink=cpy

WolftownVA81
    Participant

My quotes are all jacked up but you get the idea.

redisgood
    Participant

I’m hearing the NOA will be released tomorrow. I have zero expectations either way. They could get hammered or a small slap on the wrist. Hopefully we will know soon.

WTNY
    Participant

While some, such as CowDog, are hearing the holes are getting hit pretty hard, various people from UNC-Ch including — ‘Ole Dadgum Roy and the Hat — are saying that basketball and football will skate.

I doubt Williams and Fedora would say such on the eve of a spanking.

I guess the key is to make sure regular students are in on the cheating and you are A-OK with the NCAA…

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Does this mean the football team will have to give back their Coastal Division Champion rings?

Pack78
    Participant

^ As well as vacating their appearance in the ACC Championship game…Oh wait…

TheCOWDOG

Told ya the old geezers knew something was up.

This looks very bad for the Heels.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

loic coming at ya!

TheCOWDOG

They even go back to 1961 as an aggrevating factor.

If the old coaches find out what turned the NCAA around, I’ll pass it on.

Of course, penalty phase is a long way off…

Wulfpack
    Participant

Allegations not program specific. LOIC is not program specific. I seriously doubt any major sanctions are levied against FB and MBB.

YogiNC
    Participant

I read each of the allegations, and they stated TONS of evidence through emails and such. 5 counts of LOIC could be really nasty in the long run. I hope they take away all of their birthdays. One thing is for sure, to answer the BOG person’s question, yes this will affect recruiting.

Smarter than the average bear

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

LOIC I would think implies it’s the entirety of the athletics… so no program specific, but encompassing all athletics programs. I’d be surprised if they received a slap on the wrist for LOIC. But who the hell really knows.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It does encompass the entire program, but how do you penalize one program over another when the programs (and their personnel) are not specificially implicated? No wrong doing of any football or basketball coach/staffer is mentioned. That’s why I don’t think your going to see the proverbial hammer drop.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Link to the text of the NOA:

Click to access NCAA-NOA.pdf

From pp 53-54, regarding the LOIC:
    Specifically, individuals in the academic administration on campus, particularly in
    the college of arts and sciences, did not sufficiently monitor the AFRI/AFAM and
    ASPSA departments or provide appropriate supervision for these academic units
    and their staffs. The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that
    went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these
    courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically
    at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men’s basketball and
    women’s basketball.

Seems to specify football and M’s & W’s basketball. Fails to directly link Walden, Robinson, or Ole Roy, though they are mentioned in the mountain of email evidence supporting the LOIC charge.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.